S55 coolant visit workshop on dash.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
s55 amg kompressor
just got me car back on Thursday from nigel at njs solutions, had new radiator fitted and new a/c condensor and brackets. Now he told to top up the header tank in the morning as the level will naturally drop. Been away to friends 50 miles away, on way home today when hit traffic coolant message comes up on dash, temp on motorway at constant 80f, had a/c on, when hit traffic temp went up to 95f put heater on and temp dropped, let it cool down for a few hours checked the level in expansion tank and added one pint to bring to right level.

For a start, 80f as your post states is far too cool and I imagine you really mean 80c which is also too cool. The fact that it went up to 95c in traffic suggests to me that there is insufficient coolant in the rad or that the cooling fan isn't cutting in, or maybe isn't running at all. Have you checked it? As the rad has been replaced, there may also be an airlock which could account for the warning after the car was run for a bit.
As you have already topped up the coolant, I would run it and keep an eye on the level and also the temperature. If it persists in running cool, you likely need a thermostat and if it continues to overheat in traffic, have the fan operation checked. I would also speak to your repairer and if need be take it back to them to have the system bled properly.
Hope you get it fixed ok.

Ernie

Well it could be a air lock that cleared and swallowed the water in the expansion tank and left it short of water so your filling the tank up may well sort it,but ernie is right check it out and if you still get problems take it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom