S560 Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red C220

MB Enthusiast
Car
2021 Mazda MX-30 EV, 2014 FF
It's Christmas/New Year and I was bored by last Thursday. So I'm sitting here waiting to go back to work and I'm on all the online configurators speccing up Bentley's, GTC4Lussos and all sort of things that I'm not going to buy whilst the good Mrs Red watches Soaps and Murder (on ID).

I've quite liked the new S Coupe since it first came out and I've been looking at the facelift tonight. The pick for me was always the S500 - so the S560 is of interest and I've noticed it's fitted with the 4.0TT V8 AMG motor, the same as the S63 (instead of the 4.7TT 500 motor from the pre facelift design), just detuned I guess.

I owned a 560SEC and I'm pleased they've brought the badge back, although back then the 560 was the top of the range, not the entry model!

I'm liking this a lot, it's just such a shame they drop so much money, there are already quite a few (S500's) available in the £60k's at less than 3 years old.

image.MQ6.0.2x.20171102160446.jpeg

image.MQ6.0.2x.20171023140449.jpeg

So rather then then usual "It's not a real AMG as it's not got an AMG engine!" MB are now fitting an AMG engine in a non AMG car. Queue the raft of diluted brand comments.

Last edited:
That's a handsome car. I really like these. I've not seen one on the road, but whilst we were at the AMG factory we sat in an S-class convertible, not sure whether it was an S63 or S65 now, and it was a really really lovely thing. The wooden trim was stunning.

I know you like Bentley, and I do too, but not being a Bentley counts for a lot for me. I've seen several Bentley Continentals this evening, but I didn't see a single S-class coupe or convertible. On the cars we use every day I like to be different, but I like to do so subtlety if that makes sense.

Stunning looking cars , there is one around the corner from me and i give it envious looks every time me and mutley walk passed , only issue is that it is metallic brown.

I have been keeping my eye on the prices of the coupe for some time now , they are now into the £50`s. Still a huge amount of wonga for a motor but at least heading in the right direction for some.

I will wait till they are around £5k before i get one , possibly for my 120th birthday.

Kenny

That's a handsome car. I really like these. I've not seen one on the road, but whilst we were at the AMG factory we sat in an S-class convertible, not sure whether it was an S63 or S65 now, and it was a really really lovely thing. The wooden trim was stunning.

I know you like Bentley, and I do too, but not being a Bentley counts for a lot for me. I've seen several Bentley Continentals this evening, but I didn't see a single S-class coupe or convertible. On the cars we use every day I like to be different, but I like to do so subtlety if that makes sense.

There's an S500 convertible in our village and it looks subtle and classy. So yes I get completely what you mean. It was a replacement for the owners DB9.

They really are nice places to be and there's not a great deal of difference between the S560 or either of the AMG models.

At MB world in December Mrs Red pointed at the S cabriolet and said she liked it. I've never been a fan of soft tops (the one thing that drew us to the SL was the metal roof). I'm more drawn to the Coupe, it really doesn't need to be an AMG either.

There's a Porcelain/Blue interior option that would work really nicely with a Mystic Blue exterior.

Last edited:
There's no way it'd fit in my garage, but that looks like a lovely place to sit. Like it.

Cheers,

Gaz

The upgrade after my e class coupe (if only.....)

Gooooooo-on. Your girls will love the view from the back seats. Do it for them. :)

They do look fabulous cars, but (having seen a few around now) I think the current crop of Merc coupes maybe look just a little alike. I find myself having to look at the badge to check whether it’s an S versus an E (or an E versus a C). Seems a shame: past Mercs, such as the last E coupe and the fantastic CL, tended to be distinctive enough for me to tell one model from another. In the past it was always Audis that looked the same to me: very hard to tell one model from another, especially A4 vs A6 and A6 vs A8.

They do look fabulous cars, but (having seen a few around now) I think the current crop of Merc coupes maybe look just a little alike. I find myself having to look at the badge to check whether it’s an S versus an E (or an E versus a C). Seems a shame: past Mercs, such as the last E coupe and the fantastic CL, tended to be distinctive enough for me to tell one model from another.

Exactly how I feel about it.

I see a C class where I work and the first few times I saw it, I struggled to work out which coupe is was (debadged).

I like design similarity but not to this extent. I would prefer some similar cues across the range as per the W220 / W211 era.

What's worse, I don't like the tail lights on any of the current model Mercs now.

I also don't like the bonnet pulled back with the bumper making up the very front.

So whilst I am sure the S5xx is / will be a cracking motor, a car like this needs to look pretty much perfect to me for me to consider.

I didn't like the back of mine to start with, and whilst I do like it now, I didn't dislike it as much as the current round of rears to start with!

When I think back to the rear of the R230 SL, I'm disappointed they've gone off the boil for me.

I always thought the 500 was the pick of the range and I feel this 560 will be too. Though residuals aren’t the best, there is generally a good offer on them. I wouldn’t buy one outright though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought the 500 was the pick of the range and I feel this 560 will be too. Though residuals aren’t the best, there is generally a good offer on them. I wouldn’t buy one outright though

What would you suggest James? Are MB offering some aggressive Contract Hire or PCP deals that make the depreciation more palatable? Buying it looks like it would "cost" about £60K or so over 36 months of ownership, which is a bit steep.

What would you suggest James? Are MB offering some aggressive Contract Hire or PCP deals that make the depreciation more palatable? Buying it looks like it would "cost" about £60K or so over 36 months of ownership, which is a bit steep.

I can have a look on Tuesday when the Q1 campaign is out. MB’s PCP would be best for a private buyer, so we shall see what comes out next week

£20k a year to borrow a car.

Would £15k sound better?

£20k a year to borrow a car.

Would £15k sound better?

Lewyboy, your forum name may have changed but you're clearly still the same Bell End posting on the account. Really, if a thread doesn't interest you, just don't comment on it. You're always there with the same smart **** comments but very little constructive to add to the threads.

I'd like to buy/lease hire something interesting that may or may not be a an MB. My budget is what it is and I don't really care how it's perceived by you. What does interest me is the 3 year cost of any particular vehicle as I'm generally looking for the next thing at about 2 years or so into ownership. I don't care if I buy rent or lease, whatever the lowest three year cost is what I'm looking at.

I've always liked the 2 door coupes - the lines are so clean. This one must be one of the smoothest and I suspect the photos don't do it justice. The rear lights I agree are a bit "much" but this wouldn't put me off the car!

There are some car clubs where it is £1k (or more) for the weekend.
Hertz would quote that for a week....

£15k for a years use then looks a bargain.....:(
)
I agree there is a degree of sameness to the coupes now that wasn't there before, but that still looks gorgeous (and is still out of my price range pretty lottery win :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom