S63 Coupe v S65 Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bieldside

Car
Merc SL65 , Porsche 991.2 Targa 4s , Porsche 9934s, S65 Cabriolet
I’ve been searching for a black on black S65 Coupe for months ... no joy and prices are stuck at £80k +
So I’ve thought of the S63 Coupe
V8 against V12
Can anyone comment on owing the S63 please

I was torn between the two when I was looking this time last year and, whilst the S65 was more desirable and came with every conceivable extra, I just couldn't justify the extra £50k+ it would have cost to own one.

Performance wise there's now very little in it with the M177 engine putting out over 600bhp, in fact the S63 would probably keep up or even beat the V12 in a 0 - 60 type run but that's not what these cars are about really as you'll no doubt be aware. What the 63 does do is take you effortlessly to where you're going in an impressive level of comfort, though admittedly mine is well specced with the full list of interior extras. Obviously the S65 does all this and possibly more but at a cost. Another factor with mine is that I got over 30mpg last weekend on a longish trip. I can't see a V12 getting close to that but again, running costs shouldn't really be a factor when considering these cars.

I must admit that I thought I'd still be lusting after the V12 engine after committing to the 63 but to be honest the V8 is more than enough for me. No jealousy factor involved either really as I've never seen an S65 since I've had mine.

I've been meaning to do some form of write up on it but last weekend was probably only the second trip it's done in 12 months due to a combination pf factors, so I'm still learning it's little bits and pieces.

I was torn between the two when I was looking this time last year and, whilst the S65 was more desirable and came with every conceivable extra, I just couldn't justify the extra £50k+ it would have cost to own one.

Performance wise there's now very little in it with the M177 engine putting out over 600bhp, in fact the S63 would probably keep up or even beat the V12 in a 0 - 60 type run but that's not what these cars are about really as you'll no doubt be aware. What the 63 does do is take you effortlessly to where you're going in an impressive level of comfort, though admittedly mine is well specced with the full list of interior extras. Obviously the S65 does all this and possibly more but at a cost. Another factor with mine is that I got over 30mpg last weekend on a longish trip. I can't see a V12 getting close to that but again, running costs shouldn't really be a factor when considering these cars.

I must admit that I thought I'd still be lusting after the V12 engine after committing to the 63 but to be honest the V8 is more than enough for me. No jealousy factor involved either really as I've never seen an S65 since I've had mine.

I've been meaning to do some form of write up on it but last weekend was probably only the second trip it's done in 12 months due to a combination pf factors, so I'm still learning it's little bits and pieces.
Huge thanks for the response
I’m looking at a £140k new list for almost a third of the price
One owner
14000 miles
Full MB history

plus I do have a V 12 SL65 AMG !

I’ve been searching for a black on black S65 Coupe for months ... no joy and prices are stuck at £80k +
V8 against V12

What year ?

Most of the used ones over the last year or so are 2014 or 2015 in my experience. They often claim to be fully loaded or whatever and yet lack a few things.

It’s worth spending a while behind the wheel. I’m not sure I’d turn my back on the V12, but fortunately I’ve never driven one.

I find it a frustrating car at times. Great when the roads are warm. The lack of traction for over half the year is alarming and you have to adjust to it.

I like to drive to Italy and bought the car with that in mind. In the end I took something else as it was spending a five week stint in for repair.

I’m up to about 10k miles since I got mine. I expect I’ll have it for a while longer, hopefully it’ll settle down as I get it sorted.

That’s the trouble
Both are great cars
But the V12 is the ultimate
Would I buy an S63 and always wonder
And keep looking for the S65
Probably

I’d love the S65 myself. But I don’t own multiple cars so my car is the daily. Right now I got a 2020 e63s and was toying with the latest S65 until I saw the 250k price tag lol. But once the warranty of mine is through in 2.5 years I can rethink the used marked. But again. Is the V12 really a daily. It isn’t about petrol by no means, but I bet if they break, they break in style lol. I will keep an eye on this thread. Will be interesting to read if there are any severe and expensive differences.

V8 against V12
If you are serious about buying one then drive both and see which suits you, your driving style and the car best. At this end of the market then running costs and reliability take lower priority than experience and what you like best, and that’s very personal and subjective.

For what it’s worth, with Mercedes I personally prefer the 63 to the 65, and likewise with Bentley I prefer the V8 to the W12. I find that the V8 makes it’s presence known a little more and I like that just a touch more. Both are wonderful ways to travel thhough.

Reliability is not a lower priority for me, as I use it as a daily. It’s never stranded me, which is good. Having to take it to the garage 4-5 times a year, not my idea of fun.

Reliability is not a lower priority for me, as I use it as a daily. It’s never stranded me, which is good. Having to take it to the garage 4-5 times a year, not my idea of fun.
This won’t be the OP’a only car.

That’s the trouble
Both are great cars
But the V12 is the ultimate
Would I buy an S63 and always wonder
And keep looking for the S65
Probably
There was a facelift CL65 (one of only four or five sold in the UK) on Autotrader a couple of weeks ago in black and in your neck of the woods! 30k ish miles 2012? - looked a beauty. Thought you would have snapped it up as a stablemate to the SL65!

Having other cars doesn't change my expectations of the car.
I didn’t say reliability wasn’t important. I said it takes a lower priority than experience and personal preference when it comes to cars such as this.

If reliability is the most important thing to the OP then I dare say that he would be consider completely different cars, from other manufacturers.

Vive la différence.

Last edited:
There was a facelift CL65 (one of only four or five sold in the UK) on Autotrader a couple of weeks ago in black and in your neck of the woods! 30k ish miles 2012? - looked a beauty. Thought you would have snapped it up as a stablemate to the SL65!
At £72000 miles it was a tad overpriced
Still for sale !!

Not a coupe but worth the watch -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ok .... I wait for the S65 Coupe
Black on black
Might be a long wait
But no rush ... not like I’m going on holiday

Not brave enough for the Motorhub example?
That’s been there for months
So I’ve totally discounted it for that reason

That’s been there for months
So I’ve totally discounted it for that reason
The fact that Motorhub are the dealers should discount it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom