S63 coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8andTurbos

Car
MK5 Golf GTI + C63 AMG
Considering a 2014 S63 coupe. Few Q’s..

Is the upper dash trimmed in leather from factory or is it an option?

Are there any specific problems the cars suffer from, how reliable are gearbox’s and engines?

Any main options I should be looking out for?

How costly are consumables such as tyres, brakes etc..

Any info much appreciated.

Well that car was a expensive car new and people who bought them normally ticked a lot of extra boxes,a fully specced one is still a rare beast,look on ebay at the 2014 one on there in grey with black wheels going for £48 grand,now that has a full spec, armed with that list of extras you can at least see what any that you look at are missing,best of luck.

Nearly bought one of these recently as a replacement for my CLS63, engine wise the same M157, but the suspension is full air instead of the mixed air / springs on the CLS/E. Not heard of any horror stories reference running costs. Servicing similar to normal M157’s.

Its definitely a special car and a level up on the E/CLS in fit and finish, plus in my view looks. The only reason I didn’t go ahead and buy one was because the engine etc is the same, so ultimately the experience would be similar and I’d end up on the same upgrade route as the CLS. Whilst this is amazing I’d already done it.

It’s a stunning car so good luck with the search.

I am considering a few of these currently. There was a nice Magno one at Mercedes Taunton which was fully loaded.

I take the dealer comments with a pinch of salt. The cars are well specified, but they vary. Decide if you want all the functions behind the 6 switches on the right of the dash, as that’s easy to spot. HUD is nice, maybe magic sky control.

Pulsation dampers seem to fail, but the car seems alright otherwise.

Not much choice of colour, couple of wheel variants, I think 3 types of leather. Couple of different steering wheels, only one of which can be heated. The heated armrests come with the heated wheel.

Air balance and the ventilated seats are options. Night package, illuminated sills. The extra fancy headlights with the Swarovski crystals.

Probably something else I’ve missed, but that’s a start.

If the coupe is like the saloon, the quilted leather on the upper dash is only there if you choose the top Nappa leather option (there are three IIRC).

It's not a lot different from the standard Nappa leather.

Leather was standard I believe for dash tops and top of door cards. Extended Nappa Leather is the next option same as the current S Class and GT coupe, which is more high quality (softer touch) leather everywhere on door cards instead of just door tops. Designo Nappa is the quilted leather and the top option.

Thanks for the replies. I almost bought one of these last year but instead jumped the MB ship from my previous 204 C63 and went for a 2017 Porsche Macan turbo. Great car, just wasn’t fast enough. Even with all the options ticked inc air suspension the car still had too much body roll. It since has been sold.

Ideally I’d like a black / grey coupe with the tan or red designo leather. Red is v rare, tan is more common but pulls a premium. I’ve seen a well priced 2014 coupe with around 28k miles for 45k, made a few cheeky offers at 42k but nothing yet. The engine seems like a torque monster and reliable too, heard the ride comfort and refinement is next level and the residuals have held up well too. Other options are the F90 M5 or E63 S - 4matic+. But I feel depreciation is still there

If you are wondering how expensive the consumables are then its not the car for you :)
Suspension arms and engine mounts are number one failures on this car.
Gearbox on the 2014 model is way better then previous generations.
The dash comes with leather as a standard

You might want to drive one if you rate ride comfort. I can’t keep a straight face and discuss residuals. Hopefully you can find one you like.

Leather was standard I believe for dash tops and top of door cards. Extended Nappa Leather is the next option same as the current S Class and GT coupe, which is more high quality (softer touch) leather everywhere on door cards instead of just door tops. Designo Nappa is the quilted leather and the top option.
I was wondering about that, is it real leather? AMG describes is as leather style which to me means plastic

If you are wondering how expensive the consumables are then its not the car for you :)
Suspension arms and engine mounts are number one failures on this car.
Gearbox on the 2014 model is way better then previous generations.
The dash comes with leather as a standard

Honestly this makes no sense. Unless you’re silly rich then I think everyone wonders how much a new set of tyres, brakes etc will cost them.. doesn’t mean they can’t afford it.. Silly reply 😀

Honestly this makes no sense. Unless you’re silly rich then I think everyone wonders how much a new set of tyres, brakes etc will cost them.. doesn’t mean they can’t afford it.. Silly reply 😀
On one hand I don’t disagree, but I guess the angle Riva may be coming from is that if it influences the buying decision then it’s the wrong car. They’ll never be inexpensive.

I don’t have an S 63 but I have considered an S 63 Convertible a few times now, but never pulled the trigger. I do have a little experience with running similar cars though.

I would expect a set of tyres to be £800-1200 and £1500-2000, and servicing costs to be £400-1000 depending upon which service and which additional items are due.

If the warranty has expired it’s likely to be £1500-2500 for a Mercedes “tier 1” warranty, or potentially a similar sized annual kitty for repairs along the way.

I hope this helps 👍🏻

If you buy a main dealer car, you get two years of warranty. That’s a bit of help with the man maths.

I’ve only replaced front tyres at a bit over £400. I’m a year and 7k miles in. Rear tyres are still ok, so I’ve owned worse.

I got the service plan as they misled me on the cost. The real cost is £52 a month, so not outrageous. Needed a service in March, which went well. They did some warranty work whilst it was there. I’m happy using Brooklands.

The wipers are expensive at £100 a set.

Somebody likes convertible, others red leather, some with added options (🤔)............due to work related reasons I am not going to waste a salespersons time on a car that my heart tells is not a good buy in the/my current climate............think it a nice car for someone, ask for Victor at Ellesmere Port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom