Saab 9-5 2.2 TID VECTOR 5DR AUTO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Anyone with any experience of these?

I'm looking for a daily runner which has a bit of space and can tow loads to the tip (general domestic waste). Preferably under 2k.

The one I'm interested in is 2004 with 147k on the clock.

Cooments welcome.

I don't think (but am not certain) that these are the most economical of diesels. The petrols (manual) are also pretty good value for money, and often it takes a lot of miles to make up the difference in value.

Anyone with any experience of these?

I'm looking for a daily runner which has a bit of space and can tow loads to the tip (general domestic waste). Preferably under 2k.

The one I'm interested in is 2004 with 147k on the clock.

Cooments welcome.

The 2.2 TDi is a bit agricultural and not exactly quick but it is a reliable engine, Saab manual gearboxes can be notchy but the 5 speed automatic (fitted on post 2001 face lift cars) is a very smooth and responsive gearbox. Injector pump failures are the main killer of these at this age. Also ensure the gearbox fluid has been changed regularly if an automatic.

Space wise, well the estate is very good and I think the better looking car of the range. Handling is quite sedate with the emphasis on comfort rather than a sporting drive but for motorway cruising they are hard to beat.

The face lift cars had many changes made (over 1800) and handle better, are quieter and generally more reliable .

GM started stripping out features at one point to save costs but then started to put them back over the years so make sure you get as high a specification as possible.

The seats are superb and the heated seats are well worth tracking down. I also had the air conditioned seats in my Griffin and I miss those not only for this feature but the comfort.

Common problems are climate control motors failing or the blend door arms breaking, not horrendous as kits are available to fix these but quite awkward depending on where the failure is.

Check by running a diagnostic on the A/C. Engine running press Auto and Off and release. The screen will go blank and then it should display 0 if no faults are found. If there are faults they will be recorded on the left hand side of the climate display , 1 = 1 fault, 2 = 2 faults etc. On the right hand side the fault code will be displayed. It is important that you know what these mean because some are easy to fix and others are somewhat more difficult. See here:ACC Fault codes | Saab 9-5.com

Head lamps not working particularly on main beam is also common, there is an orange "relay" in the engine compartment that is in fact part of the bulb check system. It often gets dry joints and causes issues. It can be easily re-soldered or get one from eBay for £10 or a dealer for £70! If you buy the car pm me I have a spare you are welcome to.

SID (Saab Information Display) faults are also common with missing pixels etc. There are a couple of companies that repair these for around £50, same for the climate control display.

Body work is generally very good and rust is not a problem that I am aware off, trim quality is not always of the highest standard but it works and has a certain charm.

The petrol engines are reliable and fun, even the 2.0 LPT has 150 Hp, other 2.0 LPT versions have 175/185 and the 2.3 LPT has 185Hp and lots of torque, fuel consumption is also quite good unless thrashing it but then again the 2.2 diesel is not that good overall, 40-45mpg is usually the best depending on driving style.

Try www.saabscene.com for more advice etc. :thumb:

Last edited:
Duplicate post!

Last edited:
E55K wagon I hear you say?

:D

I had a 2004/04 9-5 Aero 2.3 auto before this one (250BHP).

It was quite bad on fuel, and whilst I had the gearbox fluid changed at around 60k, it started to get notchy again at 80k I think (but was resolved with further fluid change I understand).

Seats are comfy, good for long journey's.

As said, I don't think the 2.2 is great - 1.9 is more refined and better on the juice.

I had my temperature display go although it said 22 instead of 22c so not a huge issue. Replaced under warranty when it had one.

I also had the DI cassette issue (£300 to fix) but I don't know which engines this affects.

Relentlessly had to replace suspension parts almost every service which was annoying.

Very reliable though and great in the snow (even with all year tyres).

Auto box is better than the manual as said - I understand the manual is quoted as being a 'pudding bowl mixing spoon' (not precise!).

Other than that - for what you want it is ideal subject to engine.

As John says the ignition cassettes are a known problem but were supposedly improved but can affect all petrol engines. Crankshaft position sensors are also common failures but they are on many other makes as well.

Mine was also excellent in the snow and on standard tyres!

These cars are now very cheap so choose carefully and drive a few before deciding.

The 1.9TDi is available in 8 or 16 valve. The 16 valve has 150hp and is quite lively and fairly refined but they do suffer from EGR valves clogging up and DPF problems especially if only driven short distances. These engines also have cam belts from memory whereas most Saab engines use chains.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice - very thorough!

I test drove one this afternoon and I have to say I was mildly disappointed. I was expecting a bit more umpff! It was certainly agricultural and didn't feel that well made (although I guess that might be its age, 2004).

Back to the drawing board.

I also looked at an E320CDI it wasnt in a great state, had 170k on the clock and only a part service history - so another one to avoid.

As I watched the E55k drive off tonight I was left wondering what I'd be able to find for a runner while I wait for the GT-R :)

Yes, my lasting impression of my Saab is 'average and a bit crappy'.

However, the E55K has set the bar incredibly high so whatever you buy will seem a bit shyte - unless you can get a reasonable condition Merc - even if moon mileage.

SPX is selling a 2003 E270CDI but not an estate - but not far off your budget...

Why buy that Swedish tat when this could be yours for 3300 round pounds?

It's in for a new SBC pump in the morning.

More details in the classifieds...

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks lovely and with a great spec. As its not an estate I'd have to slap a tow bar on it and I know that can be pricey.

SPX also lives about three hours drive away!!!!! :doh:

Hunt is over - my 2k budget slipped to 3k and then finally ended up spending 7k on an Audi A6 (C6) 3.0 TDI S Line Quattro. :dk: :doh: :rolleyes:

Good choice Jim, I nearly bought exactly the same car before I ended up buying my first ever Mercedes.

It'll certainly be a bit less dramatic than the supercharged monster...

Sounds like a good buy for that sort of money.

SID (Saab Information Display) faults are also common with missing pixels etc. There are a couple of companies that repair these for around £50, same for the climate control display.

There is a repair for these which I managed ( with my eyes)so anyone should be able to. Sadly i am away at the moment but could send the link when I get home, possibly a search on the net will find it.

He bought an Audi in the end (see post 11)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom