SAAB - An Apology

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

I'd always viewed SAABs from afar, chuckling at their owners driving Vauxhall Cavaliers in drag and in doing so I made the fatal error that so many other know-it-alls make; having an opinion on a car I'd never owned, only having hearsay on which to base my views.

Having got rid of that piece of crap 3 series, I decided to try a SAAB 9-3 estate (or SportsWagon as it's sometimes called) and I'm so glad I id because besides it being front wheel drive, it is fantastic; very quiet at high speeds on the motorway, the interior is very well laid out, the seats are unbelievably comfortable and there's brilliant fuel economy;

Another great little quirk is the setting that sense the temperature outside and when you get in sets everything to the optimum i.e. turns your heated seats on, the windscreen blower on full, the rear screen turns on etc etc without you having to press a button.

Another reason I've bonded with the car is how understated it is, I can just go about my business without turning up at meetings and having people view my car with suspicion; "its only a SAAB they say... Yet in the grand scheme of it, I'm the one having a little chuckle to myself in the same way that I did do when I thought the owners were driving a Vauxhall Cavalier with a posh frock on.

So if you're a bit fed up with the german car stereotype and you feel like the Teutons are the only way to go (and you can get past the FWD); give SAAB a try, you never know, you might just like them...

Quick picture of when I first got it:

the last 9-5 was a lovely looking saloon .. shame they built so few before they went bust

Yes, all very believable, but we know the real reason you like it is the turbo boost valve...

Owned a 9-3 Aero for seven years (and a 900 for two years) and loved it , it was the only Saab in the works car park amongst a sea of German and Jap motors which made it all the more individual.

Seats were superb as was the 205hp motor once it was wound up and it was simple to repair and did not require an electronics degree to work on. The whole time I owned the car it never displayed a EML and the only time it let me down was when the battery finally gave up the ghost when it was 10 years old , it was a bit thirsty though.

I am still trying to convince the wife to choose a 9-3 convertible as her next car as with the Aero trim is still a nice looking car as opposed to some of the more "feminine" verts out there that she has been considering.

Kenny

Hope it's more reliable that my good woman's company 9-3 . Which, when not in the dealers for electrical faults was great, especially for motorway work (I loved the seats & dash layout). Back then the lease deals were excellent too, better than an Alfa 156.

We sold two Saab estates to move to MB, a 9-5 and a 9-3. The latter did over 800 miles to the tank driving to/from Cyprus as fast as conditions allowed and at no time did either of us suffer from a sore backside despite very long spells sitting (between stops and kipping in the car). That is high praise when comparing the difference in size between me and my wife.

Hope it's more reliable that my good woman's company 9-3 . Which, when not in the dealers for electrical faults was great, especially for motorway work (I loved the seats & dash layout). Back then the lease deals were excellent too, better than an Alfa 156.

Bearing in mind that you were apparently considering an Alfa, do you think the electrical faults were added to that particular Saab to make it a bit more Alfa-ish?

Bearing in mind that you were apparently considering an Alfa, do you think the electrical faults were added to that particular Saab to make it a bit more Alfa-ish?

I think you needed three years for the 156 to show it's hand, then you really got to know how crap the dealers were, never mind the car ;)

John shuffles over to ebay to have a look at prices.

Not too bad if the motor is as good as Lee says it is.

(Waits for Lee to sell car:p Shouldn't be long now:devil::D)

We sold two Saab estates to move to MB, a 9-5 and a 9-3. The latter did over 800 miles to the tank driving to/from Cyprus as fast as conditions allowed and at no time did either of us suffer from a sore backside despite very long spells sitting (between stops and kipping in the car). That is high praise when comparing the difference in size between me and my wife.

The "best" I've had so far was on the M62, I reset the MPG counter in the 50mph limit zone, the road was level and over the course of 4 miles I achieved 97mpg. I know it's far from scientific but still not a bad number.

John shuffles over to ebay to have a look at prices.

Not too bad if the motor is as good as Lee says it is.

(Waits for Lee to sell car:p Shouldn't be long now:devil::D)

Genuinely, honestly impressed with this car; the twin-turbo 180bhp engine (TTiD4) is a perky little thing and the throttle very responsive.

I'd forgot what torque steer feels like though...

the last 9-5 was a lovely looking saloon .. shame they built so few before they went bust

From what I gather, SAABs are still being produced but they didn't pass some NCAP safety test so they are limited to producing small numbers.

We ran two SAAB 9-3's for three years from new, one sportswagon and a saloon.

One Manual, one auto. Neither gave any trouble at all and the seats are astonishingly good.

I found the auto gearbox sluggish combined with the turbo diesel engine but the manual was excellent.

We ran two SAAB 9-3's for three years from new, one sportswagon and a saloon.

One Manual, one auto. Neither gave any trouble at all and the seats are astonishingly good.

I found the auto gearbox sluggish combined with the turbo diesel engine but the manual was excellent.

This is an auto so I'd expect the manual to achieve greater mpg figures.

Mid-range it does get caught out now and again but the first two gears are a lot more sprightly than the Mercedes 7G of a similar age.

The last car I had before my quartet of E Class estates was a 95 estate. I loved it, other than the front suspension units that kept knocking over bumps, despite being replaced.

The last car I had before my quartet of E Class estates was a 95 estate. I loved it, other than the front suspension units that kept knocking over bumps, despite being replaced.

What I find quite strange is the amount of people that have owned one that say they are a cracking car. Then buy something else...

What I find quite strange is the amount of people that have owned one that say they are a cracking car. Then buy something else...

It wasn't big enough, otherwise...

Oh, yes - it was a 2.0L petrol auto - shocking consumption round the city (said the E63/E63 man).

This is an auto so I'd expect the manual to achieve greater mpg figures.

Mid-range it does get caught out now and again but the first two gears are a lot more sprightly than the Mercedes 7G of a similar age.

We didn't have the TT model we had Vector Sport Anniversay models which were circa 150hp.

I think the Twin Turbo got rid of a lot of the lag that was experienced with the auto.

I'm surprised SPX can fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom