Sachs Warranty?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Right so had an advisory on MOT, offside shock absorber has slight misting of oil or limited damping effect.

It was replaced 40K miles ago, with a SACHS unit. Is there any kind of warranty with SACHS as I expect a shock to last longer than 40K I think it was done 1 year ago or slightly longer.
I’ve only had the car for 3 months but have all the invoices.

If not I’ll just bite the bullet and order 2x BOGE shocks, I’ve pretty much replaced everything else now :D got a few bits on order such as track rod ends, and the other stuff ready to be fitted like brakes, turbocharger actuator, and various chrome pieces :p

Thanks
Abs

Unless it is transferable, any warranty claim would probably be with the supplier of said part - not sure how that works if you didn’t buy the item though?

Trouble is a damper is a consumable part - yes you’d expect them to last longer than 40k miles but unless you know how the car has been driven and in what conditions etc then it’s possibly hard to argue? They obviously don’t last forever - have you checked yourself to see how had it is?

Maybe drop an email to the supplier and/or Sachs themselves - nothing to lose :)

I now order any Sachs parts from German suppliers as I have some doubts about UK supplied Sachs items.

It seems that a well known UK parts supplier has the rights to the Sachs name in the UK and I was suspicious of the origins of the last Sachs branded shocks I bought from them a couple of years ago.

I now order any Sachs parts from German suppliers as I have some doubts about UK supplied Sachs items.

It seems that a well known UK parts supplier has the rights to the Sachs name in the UK and I was suspicious of the origins of the last Sachs branded shocks I bought from them a couple of years ago.

Yes I believe these were supplied by ECP

I have stopped getting parts from those large UK parts chains for the same reason Horatio has encountered.

I simply don't trust them anymore.

The last straw was when I bought a couple of Sachs shock absorbers from them for my son's previous CLK. They were poorly finished with rough edges and bumpy galvanised fittings and just didn't look right. About 6 months later, I bought another pair of Sachs shock absorbers for my E46; this time from a German supplier. They were superbly finished with smoothly plated fittings.

There were a couple of similar experiences beforehand, a belt tensioner where the tensioning nut rounded on installation and brake pads for a W168 that simply didn't fit.

Posted this last year as why I don't use that well known supplier any longer.

How funny - when I posted positive experiences of using German based suppliers for OE parts (funny enough - including Sachs/Lemforder, same company) I was told to be cautious about their origins because they were more competitive on price than ECP despite their ‘DFS’ double discounts! :D

I had the same, I was also warned off German suppliers for their habit of supplying a different brand when ordered item is out of stock.

I just rang Sachs, they said that you will need to speak to the distributor.

The parts were fitted by WGMB, not sure if it’s worth ringing Terry and asking what he thinks?

Abs

I just rang Sachs, they said that you will need to speak to the distributor.

The parts were fitted by WGMB, not sure if it’s worth ringing Terry and asking what he thinks?

Abs
Nothing to lose, only a phone call - you know Terry anyway? :)

Nothing to lose, only a phone call - you know Terry anyway? :)

Yeah, he’s a really nice guy. Just don’t want to bother him unnecessarily :)

As Will said... dampers (and brakes) service life depends on useage, not mileage.

If you drive around my house where the streets are riddled with speed bumps, you will get very little mileage from the dampers. On my wife's car the rear dampers were leaking after just 14,000 miles from new... the car was 6 years old at the time.

It's worth chasing the Sachs warranty, but based on time (e.g. ond year or two years etc), rather than mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom