Sad news for future AMG exhaust sounds!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is (another) example of targeting the wrong problem, just as the EU did with motorcycle noise reg's two or three decades ago.

Just as with motorcycles, the issue wasn't (and isn't) the noise created by vehicles equipped with standard exhaust systems. The problem is excess noise created by vehicles with non-standard exhaust systems and, as with motorcycles, the problem will persist because there will always be owners who will modify their vehicles to "improve" - at least, to their ears - the sound.

So, to all those who de-cat, remove resonators, or modify maps to add louder and more pops and bangs and then drive around in populous areas irritating the general public, I salute you for f***ing it up for the rest of us. It's much appreciated :rolleyes:

To be enforced by the "Acoustic cameras"?

So, to all those who de-cat, remove resonators, or modify maps to add louder and more pops and bangs and then drive around in populous areas irritating the general public, I salute you for f***ing it up for the rest of us. It's much appreciated :rolleyes:

Easy solution. Re-route the exhaust into the cabin. When the banging on the windows stops, assume job done.

I'm one of those who enjoy the sound of a sonorous exhaust note from an IC engine but, as with most things in life, there's a time and a place where something a bit on the loud side won't attract unwanted attention, and many places and times when it will.

I recently had the misfortune to be alongside but just behind a complete a**hole riding a lookey-likey Harley-clone V-twin as we sat in 30c heat waiting to clear the passport check exiting the Santander port. Said a**hole couldn't resist blipping the throttle and giving it an unnecessarily large handful every time the queue moved forward. I was wearing earplugs but the noise was still deafeningly loud; I could even physically feel the exhaust pulses thud on my chest. Frankly, I could quite cheerfully have inserted one of the open pipes into said a**hole's major orifice and wound the throttle to the red-line to see whether he or his unsilenced tractor engine exploded first, and I was definitely not alone :mad:

Hopefully the Guardia Civil made his life a misery at some point during his stay :)

Easy solution. Re-route the exhaust into the cabin. When the banging on the windows stops, assume job done.

A touch Draconian, surely? Just play with the sound system in the car, so that while the occupants hear Lewis Hamilton at full bore, or Bathurst 500 Holden, or whatever engine sound they choose from the exhaust noise options list that all manufacturers of even vaguely performance-orientated cars will offer, all anyone else hears is vacuum cleaner/Tesla in the next room.

You'd need good soundproofing in the doors to keep the row inside, of course, and non-opening, double-glazed windows for the same reason, which would also suppress the noise of the special (C)Rap music so often heard blaring out of the same knobs' open windows in the High Street...

On second thoughts, maybe Bellow's is not so Draconian a suggestion after all...

A touch Draconian, surely? Just play with the sound system in the car, so that while the occupants hear Lewis Hamilton at full bore, or Bathurst 500 Holden, or whatever engine sound they choose from the exhaust noise options list that all manufacturers of even vaguely performance-orientated cars will offer, all anyone else hears is vacuum cleaner/Tesla in the next room.

It's only ****ing (masturbation in case the censor gets it) when done by one self. And they are ****ers.

This is (another) example of targeting the wrong problem, just as the EU did with motorcycle noise reg's two or three decades ago.

Just as with motorcycles, the issue wasn't (and isn't) the noise created by vehicles equipped with standard exhaust systems. The problem is excess noise created by vehicles with non-standard exhaust systems and, as with motorcycles, the problem will persist because there will always be owners who will modify their vehicles to "improve" - at least, to their ears - the sound.

What a friend at the time dubbed a '' four into fvck all'' system.

I'm one of those who enjoy the sound of a sonorous exhaust note from an IC engine but, as with most things in life, there's a time and a place where something a bit on the loud side won't attract unwanted attention, and many places and times when it will.

Couldn't agree more.
When an engine is on the loud side because it has to be for its nature (and is driven well) no problem. The contrived and completely superfluous popping and banging has nothing to do with a performance engine. On a luxury car where great efforts were made to ensure silent travel - the driver hasn't a clue and a pram should be the extent of his four wheeled machinery.

I recently had the misfortune to be alongside but just behind a complete a**hole riding a lookey-likey Harley-clone V-twin as we sat in 30c heat waiting to clear the passport check exiting the Santander port. Said a**hole couldn't resist blipping the throttle and giving it an unnecessarily large handful every time the queue moved forward. I was wearing earplugs but the noise was still deafeningly loud; I could even physically feel the exhaust pulses thud on my chest. Frankly, I could quite cheerfully have inserted one of the open pipes into said a**hole's major orifice and wound the throttle to the red-line to see whether he or his unsilenced tractor engine exploded first, and I was definitely not alone :mad:

Hopefully the Guardia Civil made his life a misery at some point during his stay :)

The Harleys and their ilk (Harley Davidson engines once described as a machine for converting petrol into noise but not power) are the loudest and take the longest to pass (at least the race reps are past in a flash). The guys I see here on them must have spent their lump sum pension buying theirs and some decades ago too. So old are they I wonder if the even hear their own bike. But hey, tricked out like Brando, living the dream and waking babies.

Until the noise abatement cameras are all up and running (what a pathetic waste of public money that is) exhaust fabricators will just be busier than ever.

You'd need good soundproofing in the doors to keep the row inside, of course, and non-opening, double-glazed windows for the same reason, which would also suppress the noise of the special (C)Rap music so often heard blaring out of the same knobs' open windows in the High Street...

On second thoughts, maybe Bellow's is not so Draconian a suggestion after all...

I sometimes drive the mrs car with the roof down in our neighbourhood playing the sex pistols, not especially loud but loud enough to surprise anyone nosey enough to listen in.
Really doesn’t go with the car.

In one respect, the likes of the A45/CLA45 could do with quietening down! I mean that in the sense that there are so many four cylinder engines (Golf R/RS3 etc.) trying to do their best to sound like rally cars but in reality sound a bit try hard that I'd welcome a more subtle note from them. :D

It'll be a shame to lose some of the V8/V10 noises though but sadly with EVs being the eventual solution we'll lose a lot of awesome driving sounds!

As mentioned though, I can't help thinking it's an absolutely huge waste of time trying to capture noisy cars/bikes. Is noise a huge issue for the general public or is this another cash cow? I'm suspecting the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom