Sad news

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was the second crash that day. The first involved 5 spectators one of whom is now in a serious condition in hospital. The second killed 3 people . critically injured a fourth and 5 others required treatment at the scene. The car involved a Citroen DS3 driven by David Carney from Co Mayo Ireland left the road losing control after yumping a small humpback bridge on a narrow straight.
The Jim Clark Rally is the only high speed tarmac rally run on closed public roads in the UK and its future must now be in jepardy. It takes place over a fairly wide area making it pretty much impossible to marshall/police the spectators effectively.
While its future might in other times depend on whether motorsport enthusiasts were prepared to reconcile themselves that this is price to be payed for such a continuing spectacle------ future lawsuits ensuing from this incident for millions pounds of damages from the organisers may dictate otherwise. :dk:

Last edited:
very sad.

Indeed, very sad. My thoughts and prayers are with the the family and friends of those lost in this tragedy.

It's easy to forget the affect upon those who survive, or are closeby in the aftermath of this type of accident, so my thoughts are with them too.

A tragedy for all involved.
Motorsport is dangerous. Still cannot accept these as "part of the spectacle" - need to look for solutions that are effective and sustainable for the spectators and the competitors.

Thoughts are with those who are suffering as a result of this event.

It was the second crash that day. The first involved 5 spectators one of whom is now in a serious condition in hospital. The second killed 3 people . critically injured a fourth and 5 others required treatment at the scene. The car involved a Citroen DS3 driven by David Carney from Co Mayo Ireland left the road losing control after yumping a small humpback bridge on a narrow straight.
The Jim Clark Rally is the only high speed tarmac rally run on closed public roads in the UK and its future must now be in jepardy. It takes place over a fairly wide area making it pretty much impossible to marshall/police the spectators effectively.
While its future might in other times depend on whether motorsport enthusiasts were prepared to reconcile themselves that this is price to be payed for such a continuing spectacle------ future lawsuits ensuing from this incident for millions pounds of damages from the organisers may dictate otherwise. :dk:

Erm...isn't NI in the UK...and we have the Circuit of Ireland here...on tarmac, closed roads.

Sad indeed.

Erm...isn't NI in the UK...and we have the Circuit of Ireland here...on tarmac, closed roads.

Sad indeed.
Should perhaps have used the term "UK mainland" as come to think of it there's the Manx Rally also.:doh:

The Jim Clark Rally is the only high speed tarmac rally run on closed public roads in the UK and its future must now be in jepardy.

... future lawsuits ensuing from this incident for millions pounds of damages from the organisers may dictate otherwise. :dk:

Why? Was there negligence on the part of the organisers, or participants? Spectators know the risks.

People are killed on our roads on a daily basis and no one bats an eyelid.

No surprise to anyone surely?

I'm amazed more rally spectators aren't killed or injured more much more frequently than they are.

Usually before the start of each special stage a sweeper car or two go through to check for spectator safety amongst other things. This includes telling spectators to move from what are perceived to be dangerous positions...and if they don't move the stage can be cancelled.

I have had experience of this about 30 years ago when spectators refused to move from the outside of a 90 deg bend. The stage was cancelled and the competitors then came through, in procession, to start the next stage.

Terrible for everyone involved.

Trouble is, car zero will go through, but then the whole time the stage is live, people are constantly on the move trying to get the best video or photo, I think a lot of the time they just get caught up in what they are doing and stop thinking about the consequences.

There are already events with no spectators, I would hope this doesn't become the norm, with 'super special' stages just for the species which in all honesty are a bit carp to watch. It wont do the sport any good, with the already poor TV coverage, sponsors will be thin on the ground, and so to will new drivers getting involved.

I agree this is really sad but I do hope it doesn't stop the event. You know the risk when you go to an event like this.

Precautions where possible are taken but there is inevitably the risk element. This is why watching something like this is so exciting.

It was a similar incident that led to the end of Group B cars years ago. With the way rallying is spectated I guess it's inevitable from time to time, but the Marshalls do a very good job ensuring that such tragic events are extremely rare. No doubt there will be changes made, hopefully safety can be improved while the nature of the sport and the close up spectating experience can be retained.

Thoughts with all those affected by this tragedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom