Sad times for my beloved e220 w124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sickpuppy e220

Car
1995 e220 face lift.
Hi
Sadly the time has come for me to reluctantly change car.
With the arrival of my new daughter I am finding my saloon just isn't practical and I'm forced to look at a seven seater.

However the problem lies with resale.
I cannot justify having two cars. So she must go.
However do I let her go as is needing a wing replaced (got it already just needs paint and fitting)
Or do a invest a few hundred in her to get her looking ship shape to in crease resale by a bit more.
Any ideas guys

I recon as she stands she is worth around £600
But with 142k on her clock is it worth a £300 overhaul for resale?????

Going to be sad to see her go.
Dan

Do the simple thing- Put the car up for £600 [mention the replacement wing to any potential customer] and see if it sells? If it doesn't plan B?

Last edited:
Short answer. No. (Bows head in shame and says sorry)
To soften that a little. You risk seeing no return on your investment for painting and servicing. As Greame say just advertise her with the wing. You will be asking to higher price to recoup your outlay on painting and servicing. The car could hang around too long if you ask to higher price. 142K will put some buyers off but not us 124ers.

Edit.

The edit hung around for ages before sneeking back on to the forum.

Last edited:
Dan,
Good luck with selling your W124:thumb:

Give the good bits a polish & mention that it is one of the over-engineered, bulletproof, hewn from granite Mercedes:rock:

Regards

Phil

However do I let her go as is needing a wing replaced (got it already just needs paint and fitting)
Or do a invest a few hundred in her to get her looking ship shape to in crease resale by a bit more.
Any ideas guys

I'd get the wing sorted out if I were you, clean W124s are always sought after, rough ones just get stripped and sent to Lagos in containers...

Lmao. Now I feel even worse.
Last thing I want is her stripped!!! Lol.
I am thinking of just letting her go in the hope the new owner will care as much as me.
But again as mentioned it's doing right by her that matters.
Engine wise she is sweet. Only a rattle from the ancillary belt tensioner and the heat deflector on the cat unit.
Full service etc. Although just her looks spoil her lol.
Realistickly I would have hoped for around £1000 after work but is it worth the risk.

Lmao. Now I feel even worse.
Last thing I want is her stripped!!! Lol.
I am thinking of just letting her go in the hope the new owner will care as much as me.
But again as mentioned it's doing right by her that matters.
Engine wise she is sweet. Only a rattle from the ancillary belt tensioner and the heat deflector on the cat unit.
Full service etc. Although just her looks spoil her lol.
Realistickly I would have hoped for around £1000 after work but is it worth the risk.

A clean W124 in good order is worth £1k plus all day long, but to get good money you'll need to tackle the wing and the rattles, otherwise it's £250 offers from scrapmen/dreamers/Nigerians...

True. I parted with very little for her in September last year. However have spent a little on her rear spring and shocks saved on labour though as did work myself.
So I'm owed very little. If she blew up tomorrow I could put it down as general running costs for the cash involved. However it's always nice to win for once lol.
Aside from that. I'm now emotionally involved with her (lmfao as I type that but I guess you guys know exactly what I mean)
So it's important that she stays away from salvage for the forseable future and longer if I can help it.
I think I shall probably bite the bullet and just book her into the bodyshop.
Luckily for once I'm in the position to replace her and not worry about the cash flow. Three years of hell following an accident at work is finally coming good if you get my drift ;0)

Cheers for the input guys.
Dan

True. I parted with very little for her in September last year. However have spent a little on her rear spring and shocks saved on labour though as did work myself.
So I'm owed very little. If she blew up tomorrow I could put it down as general running costs for the cash involved. However it's always nice to win for once lol.
Aside from that. I'm now emotionally involved with her (lmfao as I type that but I guess you guys know exactly what I mean)
So it's important that she stays away from salvage for the forseable future and longer if I can help it.
I think I shall probably bite the bullet and just book her into the bodyshop.
Luckily for once I'm in the position to replace her and not worry about the cash flow. Three years of hell following an accident at work is finally coming good if you get my drift ;0)

Cheers for the input guys.
Dan

Finally decided on a course of action.
She is to be traded in against my new car.
Shame to see her go but she is to be auctioned in shefield I'm told.
I was offered £700 on the deal for her which is double what I paid lol.
And I guess the auction is better than a scrap yard as in someone will buy her to use.

Two weeks to go now and I'm sad to say she will be missed as will you guys.

Thanks again for all the help over the months.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom