Saddened at Indie Price 3.5 hours labour Thermostat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All members feel free to attend the event and film it step by step :) tea and coffee plus fat boys breakfast supplied. Lunch and evening meal if it all goes T**s up :)

My temperature gauge seems to be the same in this cold weather, takes ages to get warm and whereas before the temp would sit at 80, now it sits at about 60.
Seems to be using a lot more fuel as well, any ideas on this guys?
Seem to be getting 25mpg whereas before it was over 30mpg.
Sorry to hijack the thread.

I'd guess your 'stat is either opening too soon , or sticking open .

EDIT - as a short term fix during this cold weather - try blanking off half your radiator with cardboard/tinfoil or whatever works . Reducing the flow of cold air through your radiator may help just now - remember to remove it when ambient temps go back above zero .

Last edited:
Yes , if engine is running cold MPG will suffer .

Had the stat done by my local garage a few months ago - C270CDI estate 2001 so very similar to yours. £40 cash, I supplied the stat.

Well. The event took place today as planned and changed the thermostat. Forgot to add in an extra £7.20 for a filter remover socket and worth every penny, I know there are cheaper one's so no comment needed on saving £2.50 etc.

Invaluable advice is to remove the oil filter cover as you can then get to the two lower bolts , well torx star no 10 and then the one above.

Make sure you cover the oil filter opening with a plastic glove,great tip from another site so that the coolant or bolts do not fall in.

All of the coolant pipes came of very easily and not a great ammount was lost.
I managed to remove the thermostat with much moving around and finally it was off and the tube from the block into the bottom of the thermostat into the engine rescued and in good condition so not changed.

All of this was achieved in 35 minutes and now to put the new thermostat on after cleaning the face of the engine. I did this with a toothbrush and non corosive oven hob cleaner and it looked superb !!.

As I fiddled around trying to get the new thermostat in I snapped a plastic fuel line. I fitted the new thermostat and this was just under the hour and 3 litres of of coolant.

I had to drive to Colindale MB main dealer and were superb in supplying the plastic pipe and explaining how to fit it. £26.80 so total price approx £67 and a saving of approx £125. the dealer explained the the plastic pipes turn brittle and they sell 20 a day so I did not feel that bad.

With changing thermostat , fitting new fuel pipe. Feel well chuffed and not as daunting thanks to many posts from various sites.

So where did the 3 and a half hours come from..perhaps an hour and a half test drive to do the shopping. :)

Car now 80-85 exactly and running perfect.

Regards.

Ps now happy to change thermostats .... :) lol

Oh, the one thing I failed to mention is that I removed the front under body tray so that there would not be any coolant sloshing around from removing the thermostat.

Would just like to say a big thankyou to this forum as without all of the advice i think the job may well have taken me 3.5hrs or have put it into the garage.

Many Thanks and Regards to All.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom