Safari on Macbook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DoberMan

SUPPORTER
Car
All gone now.E 220 Convertible, 2x190E, 2xC180, 1xB180 sport.
Help required from the experts.
OSX version 10.7.5 (Macbook approx 7 years old)

I keep getting messages on screen, from the likes of ebay and Youtube that my Safari Browser is out of date and to click on the link and download a new version.

Should I do this, is it safe? ebay tell me I will be unable to complete purchases soon if I do not.

I also have problems connecting to many sites, whereby Safari says 'unable to make a secure connection'.

What do I need to do?

Thanks

Can you not upgrade your OSX to anything newer? this will get you an updated Safari. Failing that see if Chrome will run Ok on the OSX you have.

If you click on the Apple symbol at the very top left of your screen, there will be a drop down menu. Select "about this Mac" and it will open a new screen. In that there will be an option "Software update". Click on that and it should let you have the latest updates available for your machine.

Hope this helps.

D

You MacBook should be able to support the latest macOS (High Sierra) - my MacBook Pro 17" is eight years old, and I decided to stop on Sierra (10.12.6 currently), simply because I have some parts of Adobe CS5 that's 32bit, and am not willing to spend hundreds of pounds on upgrading it, as I only use it occasionally nowadays.

I do have all previous distros of macOS and OSX :)

A 2010/11 Mac should supported by High Sierra, but how much memory does it have? Unless it has 8GB plus, I'd upgrade to El Capitan. It's far newer than Lion but much less resource hungry than High Sierra.

It's totally normal for websites to stop supporting old browsers. It costs lots of developer time/money to try to keep new website technology supporting old browsers, and when they represent such a small percentage of users, it becomes uneconomical to bother maintaining support. Rather than allow a broken experience, it's sensible to offer up a message telling the user they need to upgrade.

Everyone is right though, don't bother trying to upgrade safari on that OS, it's likely the latest the OS will support anyway. Chrome or Firefox may work, but it's a dodgy workaround, the solution is to upgrade to a newer Mac OS.

Reactions: 219
If you click on the Apple symbol at the very top left of your screen, there will be a drop down menu. Select "about this Mac" and it will open a new screen. In that there will be an option "Software update". Click on that and it should let you have the latest updates available for your machine.

Hope this helps.

D

Yes, I've done all that and have the latest Software update but I suspect my version of OS10 is no longer supported.

Will try some of the other options mentioned and hope I don't lose anything.
Thank guys, will update with outcome.

Yes, I've done all that and have the latest Software update but I suspect my version of OS10 is no longer supported.

Will try some of the other options mentioned and hope I don't lose anything.
Thank guys, will update with outcome.

Take it to the Apple store and they’ll probably do it for you. Apple have excellent customer service unlike most other brands. ;)

A 2010/11 Mac should supported by High Sierra, but how much memory does it have? Unless it has 8GB plus, I'd upgrade to El Capitan. It's far newer than Lion but much less resource hungry than High Sierra.

It's totally normal for websites to stop supporting old browsers. It costs lots of developer time/money to try to keep new website technology supporting old browsers, and when they represent such a small percentage of users, it becomes uneconomical to bother maintaining support. Rather than allow a broken experience, it's sensible to offer up a message telling the user they need to upgrade.

Everyone is right though, don't bother trying to upgrade safari on that OS, it's likely the latest the OS will support anyway. Chrome or Firefox may work, but it's a dodgy workaround, the solution is to upgrade to a newer Mac OS.

Further digging. I have OS10 Lion version 10.7.5 late 2011. Macbook Pro.
I cannot find El Capitan on the App store and I cannot download High Sierra as you need version 10.8 or later (although it does say for 2010 or later).

What else can I try?

Take it to the Apple store and they’ll probably do it for you. Apple have excellent customer service unlike most other brands. ;)

I may well do that although it's easy to get lost in Milton Keynes! :)

Further digging. I have OS10 Lion version 10.7.5 late 2011. Macbook Pro.
I cannot find El Capitan on the App store and I cannot download High Sierra as you need version 10.8 or later (although it does say for 2010 or later).

What else can I try?

You won't find El Capitan on the app store, because it's been superseded. The app store will always show the latest OS that your machine supports, and yours supports High Sierra.

You're between a rock and hard place, you'll have to manually download a later OS package and install that as a stepping stone to High Sierra, but given your machine's age, it might be a stepping stone you'd like to stay put on.

This official guide specifically describes your predicament and gives you the steps to take.
How to download OS X El Capitan

If your Mac doesn't support High Sierra, or you're using Snow Leopard or Lion and would like to upgrade to High Sierra, follow these steps:

1. Use this link to open the El Capitan page on the App Store: Get OS X El Capitan.
  2. Click the Download button on the El Capitan page. If your Mac is compatible with El Capitan, a file named Install OS X El Capitan downloads to your Applications folder.
  3. After download is complete, the installer opens automatically. Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

These steps will get you onto El Capitan. If I were you, I'd stay with it for a couple of days, until it's done all it's indexing, and gotten up to speed and done further OS updates, and see how you find it's performance.

Unless you've 8GB of ram or more, High Sierra can be a bit resource heavy, so you can then decide if you want to further upgrade, if you do, High Sierra will be in the app store waiting for you.

You won't find El Capitan on the app store, because it's been superseded. The app store will always show the latest OS that your machine supports, and yours supports High Sierra.

You're between a rock and hard place, you'll have to manually download a later OS package and install that as a stepping stone to High Sierra, but given your machine's age, it might be a stepping stone you'd like to stay put on.

This official guide specifically describes your predicament and gives you the steps to take.
How to download OS X El Capitan

These steps will get you onto El Capitan. If I were you, I'd stay with it for a couple of days, until it's done all it's indexing, and gotten up to speed and done further OS updates, and see how you find it's performance.

Unless you've 8GB of ram or more, High Sierra can be a bit resource heavy, so you can then decide if you want to further upgrade, if you do, High Sierra will be in the app store waiting for you.

I clicked on the above link (and tried other ways) and got ' ……..safari can't make a secure connection' so was unable to continue.
This is the same message I get on several websites.

I think I've drawn a blank and a visit to a store might be in order.

Help required from the experts.
OSX version 10.7.5 (Macbook approx 7 years old)

I keep getting messages on screen, from the likes of ebay and Youtube that my Safari Browser is out of date and to click on the link and download a new version.

Should I do this, is it safe? ebay tell me I will be unable to complete purchases soon if I do not.

I also have problems connecting to many sites, whereby Safari says 'unable to make a secure connection'.

What do I need to do?

Thanks
My 2009 MBP , and 2008 MacPro both run El Capitan OSX 10.11.6 quite happily , so I’d be surprised if you can’t update to a newer OS ?

I still have the El Cap installer here , it’s a little over 6gigs in size but I could dump it onto an SD card , USB stick , or Blu-Ray disc and post to you if any help ?

Drop me a pm with address if that’s any help ?

Last edited:
As Derek said above ... :)

40386426690_5f33b67e54_o.png

All original installers

Yeah, get the el cap installer from either of the two above, or me, anyone can sort you out with it and you’ll be on your way.

Or onto your next issue. :p

Reactions: GLK
USB stick posted last night with El Cap installer .

I'm up and running with El Capitan and all went fairly smoothly and I've just tried a couple of sites that I was unable to access before and all is working well.

A massive Thank You to all you guys for your help and suggestions and especially Derek aka Pontoneer for sending me a stick.

This forum & its members really are amazing! (Most of the time ;))

Excellent. Glad it went well.

Make sure you get El Capitan fully up to date now. The updates tab in App Store should populate with sequential updates.

Any Qs, you know where we are. :)

Reactions: GLK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom