Safety at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Surely they cannot be licensed to operate in this manner. Does the local authority not require them to have suitable premises in order to work on customers' cars? Sounds like they need to be shut down.

Wheels went back on Volvo, nobody died, non event.

HTH

It does say they are "Unusual Tyre Stockists". They are certainly that.

Not really. :rolleyes:

They're obviously running a garage-type operation from shop-type premises, with no proper facilities and commandeering the roadside as an ersatz service bay. Local planners should have a say in this type of activity. If they can't afford proper premises, they don't have a viable business.

Not really. :rolleyes:

They're obviously running a garage-type operation from shop-type premises, with no proper facilities and commandeering the roadside as an ersatz service bay. Local planners should have a say in this type of activity. If they can't afford proper premises, they don't have a viable business.

I would hazzard a guess that it's been there for some time, meaning that it is a viable long term business and the council don't care, there are endless garages and tyre shops inside the M25 doing exactly the same thing.

I would hazzard a guess that it's been there for some time, meaning that it is a viable long term business and the council don't care, there are endless garages and tyre shops inside the M25 doing exactly the same thing.

Yes, I believe they have been at the same location for around 30 years or so (although personally I was only made aware of their existence some 12 years ago when I started driving to work using this particular route).

The unsafe use of jacks is sadly common to almost all tyre fitters and garages who do not have a proper lift. Use of the roadside as makeshift service bay is also not uncommon. But what is of particular concern to me - whenever I drive by - is the proximity of heavy traffic to the tyre fitters crouching besides the car on the O/S, especially given the blind corner as you turn into the road. And they don't always were hi-viz vests (though they do sometimes).

Yes, I believe they have been at the same location for around 30 years or so (although personally I was only made aware of their existence some 12 years ago when I started driving to work using this particular route).

The unsafe use of jacks is sadly common to almost all tyre fitters and garages who do not have a proper lift. Use of the roadside as makeshift service bay is also not uncommon. But what is of particular concern to me - whenever I drive by - is the proximity of heavy traffic to the tyre fitters crouching besides the car on the O/S, especially given the blind corner as you turn into the road. And they don't always were hi-viz vests (though they do sometimes).

The problem for anyone inside the M25 is land value, meaning all sorts of things end up getting done on the pavement / road.

I would hazzard a guess that it's been there for some time, meaning that it is a viable long term business and the council don't care

Why would a business that could afford proper premises choose to do the work at the roadside? Would their buiness still be viable if they had to pay, say, twice the rent for a proper place? I suspect that would wipe out whatever profits they are making, so they choose instead to operate as unlicensed street traders.

I think the real problem here is that, as you say, the council doesn't seem to care about what they're doing. If it were an issue to do with food safety or noise pollution, I suspect they'd be down on them like a ton of bricks, but using public space to subsidise your business costs doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'm sure that's exactly how they view it. I wonder what other corners they're cutting in order to make the business pay...

Not using a tourqe wrench? :dk::p

Last edited:
The pneumatic hose is a claim for joe public to make a claim (trip hazard) no notices up either!
Makes me furious when i see things like this when i consider how much i have to pay for H&S for my business not forgetting all the approiate trianing for my employees

I just brought a new pair of front tyres from a place that resembled the one in question.

Nobody tripped, got crushed, or crashed, not a high-viz or hard hat present either...

I just brought a new pair of front tyres from a place that resembled the one in question.

Nobody tripped, got crushed, or crashed, not a high-viz or hard hat present either...

On that occasion.

I simply cannot believe that they are allowed to do this. I know of a few high-street garages and tyre dealers, but they have workshops at the rear or nearby, or at least their own forecourt, as would any responsible business owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom