Safety Camera Bike's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
These use little men, equiped with Tripods to catch motorists. What do we think - are these really promoting safety, especially when used on a nice large 3 lane motorway, rather than using a van which drivers may have a better chance of seeing.

Just to clarify, yes I am bitter - M180 fast road, few accidents and he got me. Would not have known what it was had my partner not seen him (and she is rubbing it in:devil: ). Feeling a bit peeved today, although at the end of the day just have to pay and move on!

David

Just like the vans they are simply gathering tax from an easy source (the motorist) and yes, they are harder to spot!!!

I would rather there be more traffic Police than these damn cameras.

I find the Hi-Viz jacket usually gives the game away. Lots of the bike/camera combo in Wales and as an avid PTW rider have developed a sixth sense for them.

Just like the vans they are simply gathering tax from an easy source (the motorist) and yes, they are harder to spot!!!

I would rather there be more traffic Police than these damn cameras.

But it is a self imposed tax from the gullable source (the motorist) who think they have the god given right to break the law. When will we learn?

It's law rather than justice- no other 'crime' is policed so stringently & has such disproportionately high penalties.
As for 'what if he'd hit a kid/granny/etc?', surely the penalty is for what happened rather than what didn't happen?

RH

It's law rather than justice- no other 'crime' is policed so stringently & has such disproportionately high penalties.
As for 'what if he'd hit a kid/granny/etc?', surely the penalty is for what happened rather than what didn't happen?

RH

Prevention is better than cure.

As someone who is self employed I'd argue that HMRC is more draconian in enforcing tax legislation than the Police enforcing speeding.

Imagine a policeman knocking on your door 7 years after you were allegedly speeding, then giving you a fine of £60 plus interest for each and every year you may have allegedly been speeding.

I know it hypocritical, but I wish the government would spend that fine and interest on something other than speed camera's. But then I suppose they are an investment which produce an income!

As someone who is self employed I'd argue that HMRC is more draconian in enforcing tax legislation than the Police enforcing speeding.
They caught me last year for naughtiness- after I offered to see them personally and cooperated completely they made me pay what was due (all expenses allowed, even with some missing paperwork) plus a reasonable interest charge, no penalty payments.

I'd describe them as firm but reasonably fair, with ability to use common sense and discretion.

RH

Sorry to hear that David.
But it could have been worse,
if you still had you old car you would have been
going even faster :D :D

Imagine a policeman knocking on your door 7 years after you were allegedly speeding, then giving you a fine of £60 plus interest for each and every year you may have allegedly been speeding.

don't give them ideas!

simple dont speed & you dont have to pay I agree with all you say but we all know they are out to get us

Is there any chance of preventing burglary, murder, rape, etc?
Or are they lower priority for policing due to unprofitability?

Cynical? Moi?

RH

A good point Rovinghawk, but I fail to see the relevance to the post in question as it is in the Driving/Incidents/Roadrage section.

Sorry to hear that David.
But it could have been worse,
if you still had you old car you would have been
going even faster :D :D

probably not the 7 is so quiet that an increase in speed shows no real difference in noise levels!

I got snapped, seen the photo of myself speeding on the M180, by an aforementioned motorcycle based camera outfit. This incident happened about a year ago and nothing came of it.

Pardon me for feeling a little smug, it was my first offence (that day) and of course I have never sped since (in front of camera).

Licence is now clean.:bannana::bannana:

The M180 is a very tempting motorway to break the speed limit.
Usually quiet, sometimes deserted but watch out for the unmarked Imprezza's.
The old A1 at Pontefract is the same [ now been made redundant by the new A1m ], ghostly quiet and only 2 lanes so the sensation of speed is more realistic. Not that I would ever speed, not before doing a 70mph recce first anyway.
My driving licence will be clean for the first time in 30 odd years and more than a million miles behind the wheel on the 28th, gawd I hope I'm not tempting fate by saying that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom