Safety Camera Partnerships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kjgood

Car
Currently w211 E240, Porsche 911 C2 Cab, oh and a Fiesta
I keep hearing about mobile speed cameras the type being seen in vans over motorways being operated by 'safety camera partnerships'.

I also assume that these cameras are operated by 'qualified civilians' and not police officers in the true sense of the word, is this true?

If that is true, what status does the 'partnership' have? is it part of the police force or is it like a private contractor e.g. parking wardens on behalf of the police/local authority?

I may be way off but my suspicious mind asks that if the partnership is like a contractor, how are they funded? if by the local authority is there a rebate of some kind to the contractor, e.g. for increased turnover or for successful convictions/spot fines etc and perhaps productivity bonuses to individual operators.

I am also interested in the statement by Plodd that an officer with a mobile device uses a camera to confirm his/her suspicion that a car is speeding.

Why then does a camera sit on the bridge over the M4 at Pencoed in South Wales several days a week with the camera aimed directly at a bend so as you come around it your nicked before you even see the van? and then theres specs that monitors the speed of every car between two fixed points as far as i am aware.

As I said i may be way off, perhaps someone with accurate knowledge can explain the 'system' of funding to 'safety camera partnerships'

I will try as far as I can but not too well up on this.

The Safety Camera partnerships are civillians working for the Police with funding from Central Government. So there are no comissions paid as such but the funding comes up for review at regular intervals.

The Laser etc. is supposed to be used to confirm the suspicions of the operator that a vehicle is exceeding the speed limit. There needs to be 2 forms of evidence. Police Officer/civvy operator and lazer or PC and calibrated speedo or even 2 Police Officers will do it. With mechanical devices i.e. Specs/Gatso there is no need for further evidence.

My other half (Police Traffic Warden :crazy: ) has just been trained to use the Lazer video but she left all the associated paperwork at work so I have not had chance to read through it yet. If, when I have, I know any more I will let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom