Safety rating and Reliability of R129 vs R107 vs W208

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
As I (constantly) pine for an SL... my main concerns often relate to reliability and safety.

My w208 scores highly on both of these, in my mind, and i have doubts over the old SL's.

Reliability I guess is a question for any of you current owners. Is it more of an issue for the R107, or are there issues with the R129 as well?

Similar point for the safety - I imagine the R107 was much before side impact bars and strengthened driver cockpits became standard - or was Mercedes ahead of its game?

Cheers all,
R

A 129 is probably your best bet for safety, a toss up between that and a 208. The 107 is from the 70's and from a design point of view cannot compete with the other cars on safety.

The 129 will be a reliable car, particularly the 500.

The better bet is the 129.

The 500 is the only one to get IMO but make sure it has a very good history as they can still be pricy to maintain.

Make sure the roof works well. The roofs are relaible but when they go wrong ££££

On safety... I've got an old Car magazine article from the launch of the R129 and it's got the story about the Japanese journo who managed to roll an R129. Car looked a big wreck, but the pop-up protector thingy saved driver and passenger, who walked away. Only minor deformation of the A pillar, too. Pretty impressive.

Shame the R129's not as good looking as the R107 ;)

The R129 is a pretty safe car IMHO, it's very solidly build and has front & side airbags, side impact beams, automatic roll bar, etc. Watch the driver walk away from this high-speed crash

YouTube - Mercedes Benz SL-class crash

Engineering-wise it was pretty much top of the M-B range and in a different price bracket to the W208.

R129's typically don't rust, and provided they are serviced properly they are reliable.

As mentioned the 107 is a much older design all-round.

when a ford smashed the back of my w107 in the corner it crumbled right to the windscreen i had a dented wing from the impact and whip lash, the police where in attendance i was complaining that it might have caused alot of damage underneath.

in the opnion the car was built like a tank and they do not build like this anymore.

the w129 feels safer though

On safety... I've got an old Car magazine article from the launch of the R129 and it's got the story about the Japanese journo who managed to roll an R129. Car looked a big wreck, but the pop-up protector thingy saved driver and passenger, who walked away. Only minor deformation of the A pillar, too. Pretty impressive.

Shame the R129's not as good looking as the R107 ;)

it is rumored the pop protector cost in development more than profit on w129.

as for looks the w129 has its following and do not look too bad

Yes the R129 was the first car ever to have an automatically deployed roll bar, and the development and testing costs were huge.

Thanks guys...and so the mercedes love continues!

I shall have to attend a GTG at some point, and maybe someone would be kind enough to take me for a spin in theirs!

There's a GTG this Sunday at Mercedes-Benz World, near Weybridge. I'm planning to be there ...

There's a GTG this Sunday at Mercedes-Benz World, near Weybridge. I'm planning to be there ...

Damn, I'm already taking my niece and nephew to the zoo! But if the offer still stands...I hope I can make another GTG when you're about.

Damn, I'm already taking my niece and nephew to the zoo! But if the offer still stands...I hope I can make another GTG when you're about.

The GTG was last Sunday now (26th)! But yes the offer definitely still stands :)

The R107 is as solid as they come... A long time ago a focus went into the back of me.. The focus was written off.. all i needed was a new exhaust back box! And believe me i checked thoroughly.

The R107 is built very very well but like has been said, it is essentially a car designed in the 60's.

The R129 has a lot more of the modern gizmo's but to me isnt as much of a drivers/enthusiasts car.

Modern cars are designed to absorb impact, rather than resist it, thus cushioning the blow for the occupants. For that reason alone, I would rule out the 107. If a wall won't give and a car won't bend, you'll get hurt even more!

Later 129s have airbags in the doors, and are built to take the weight of the car on its roof, as Bill's clip shows. I've had my 500 for nearly eight years, and I don't want to tempt fate, but I cannot fault the reliablity. It is also the last of a legendary build quality era, not carried through to the 208s, I believe, which I feel cramped in.

My R129 got shunted from behind by a Ford Galaxy some years ago ... low speed, but hard enough to push it forward a metre or two against the brakes. The only 'damage' was a tiny scuff to the paint on the rear bumper. I had the bumper mountings checked as I couldn't believe that was it, but everything was fine.

The R107 is a fine classic car, but the lack of rollover protection and rust issues would rule it out for me I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom