Safety Recall (01/06/2018) - Steering Column issues 3 weeks later

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Essrick

Car
C-Class
Afternoon guys and girls (Sorry if this is in the wrong section),

I had the safety recall on 1st June for the airbag deployment thing (I don't know much about cars tbh) everything was fine until on Thursday 21st June I turned on the ignition and I got the following messages on my dash;

Cruise control inoperative
Speedtronic inoperative
Run flat indicator inoperative
A light came up with an image of a car with curved lines behind it also

The indicators didn't work, neither did the washers, front lights when using stalk but the hazard lights worked and front lights when using button/switch.

Plugged in to diagnostics and got the fault code U021287 - Communication with switch groupsteering column - Missing message

Straight away took it to Mercedes where they done the safety recall as it was linked to the steering column and they washed their hands of it completely and told me it has nothing to do with it. Any idea what the issue could be? They've definitely knocked something while doing the recall (apparently the wire for that indicator stalk is very tight and can be easily damaged if not careful.

Any help would be appreciated! They want £390 for a new indicator stalk but they are out of stock on back order at the moment. Seems a bit fishy to me, never had to wait more than a day for a part before....

Great! Ours was booked in for the airbag recall/fault, but they ran out of parts before our appointment came up. So as things stand the recall work hasn't been done yet. Fortunately our car still has another year of warranty to run, so I would expect a problem as you have described would be covered by that. They should cover it anyway as by the sound of it they may well have caused the problem.

Good luck, I hope you can get to sorted without too much pain.

Great! Ours was booked in for the airbag recall/fault, but they ran out of parts before our appointment came up. So as things stand the recall work hasn't been done yet. Fortunately our car still has another year of warranty to run, so I would expect a problem as you have described would be covered by that. They should cover it anyway as by the sound of it they may well have caused the problem.

Good luck, I hope you can get to sorted without too much pain.

They were having absolutely none of it. Saying "We don't go as deep as the wires so it wouldn't have been from what we done". They wouldn't even tell me what the actual issue was or how to fix it and said they can book me in for £174p/h. NO THANKS!

Does anyone on here know what the fix for this is please?

I'd take it to another MB dealer (someone here must know a good one in Essex) and get them to look at it. Ask them specifically to see if this problem was caused by the warranty work. If it was, just take the original dealer to the Small Claims Court for your money back (it's an open and shut case.... they won't even bother to fight it as their insurer won't let them); if it wasn't, just suck it up and pay for the work to be done.

Maybe name this unhelpful MB dealership as well to warn others off?

I'd take it to another MB dealer (someone here must know a good one in Essex) and get them to look at it. Ask them specifically to see if this problem was caused by the warranty work. If it was, just take the original dealer to the Small Claims Court for your money back (it's an open and shut case.... they won't even bother to fight it as their insurer won't let them); if it wasn't, just suck it up and pay for the work to be done.

Maybe name this unhelpful MB dealership as well to warn others off?

Thanks, that's a good idea.

This specific dealership was Mercedes-Benz of Lakeside (Jardine Motors Group trading as Lancaster)

Well if I was you I would take the car to CCC at Colchester Chris Cowdrey who owns and runs it is a real petrol head and he is very fair with what he charges,now Chris does not run a pristine garage he loves old cars,but they are the best indy in those parts,he has the latest MB diagnostics and he will tell you what is wrong and he will quote you a fair price to put it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom