Safety Recall - Airbag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a problem with mine a year or two ago.
Apparently the condenser had become "porous" and leaked all of the gases out.
Was replaced under warranty and has been fine since. Mine wasn't the first time my dealer had seen this issue!
Sounds like that's what's happened to me, as the AC was on for nigh on 2 hours at full blast due to the summer weather we were having. I've read that the A/C is constantly on, but if the gas has leaked out or the valve is broken the motor is still running, and hence the whining noise alongside the engine. Anyway will see what Mercedes have to say when i get down there. Did they try to say it wasn't covered under warranty? This is the first time i will be claiming on it and hopefully it will go smoothly.

They initially checked to see whether the condenser had been damaged by impact from road debris.
Fortunately it wasn't, so was then covered under warranty.
If there's any hint that it might be road damage then they'll (quite reasonably?) not cover it !

They initially checked to see whether the condenser had been damaged by impact from road debris.
Fortunately it wasn't, so was then covered under warranty.
If there's any hint that it might be road damage then they'll (quite reasonably?) not cover it !
interesting, can't imagine how road debris would damage it, i was doing motorway driving, but we will see. Thanks for the details.

The manufacturer "Mercedes Benz" use keeper data from the DVLA. So even if you purchased the car privately and the car is not serviced or registered with a Dealership, you would still receive a notification.

Google "The UK Safety Recalls Scheme" its all explained in "VOSA/SUP/2581A/APRIL 14"
I'm not so sure thats the case.
My wife recently received a safety recall letter from Mercedes for the A class which was sold two years ago

interesting, can't imagine how road debris would damage it, i was doing motorway driving, but we will see. Thanks for the details.

The condenser is in front of the coolant rad. Stones going into the grille can pierce the condenser or weaken its structure at least.

The same debris that cause stone chips.

Sounds like you and RickMM had a similar problem, most likely that's what mine will also turn out to be. Was the chat you had with MB head office because they would not cover it under warranty? or just more of this is unacceptable when you obviously know there is a fault?

My issue was the fact that this is a common fault.
I was out of warranty and expected to pay to have this common fault fixed.
There was no way that I was going to pay for a common fault especially when the car has full MB service history.
They were very fair with their offer and the outcome was more than acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom