Safety Recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
It's finally arrived.

The Mercedes-Benz 211 latest recall has landed on our doorstep, but how typical.

We arrived back from Lincolnshire Thursday, our car went in for service on Friday, then when the service department contacted me stating the car was ready to return I asked if there were any further updates, or recalls outstanding. No sir, your car is completely up to date!!!!

Saturday I received the recall letter from Mercedes-Benz UK, I contacted my dealer, they have booked the car in the recall, and also a number of new 'upgrades'!!!

So Friday, there were no outstanding upgrades, or recalls but today my car has a 'number' of them. I enquired about what work was actually needed but was told that they need the car to see what work needs to be carried out.

The safety recall is evidently for a wiring harness to the SBC system that might need to be secured or modified?

John

I've not heard a peep out of my dealer or DCUK. I did have some recall work done a few weeks ago that should have done at the PDI centre before I picked up the car - I'll see if it is related. If not, it will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to inform me...

Not heard a word from MB, although it had a service a couple of months ago. from what I have read on here they are not the quickest to notify their customers.

glojo said:
It's finally arrived.

The Mercedes-Benz 211 latest recall has landed on our doorstep, but how typical.

We arrived back from Lincolnshire Thursday, our car went in for service on Friday, then when the service department contacted me stating the car was ready to return I asked if there were any further updates, or recalls outstanding. No sir, your car is completely up to date!!!!

Saturday I received the recall letter from Mercedes-Benz UK, I contacted my dealer, they have booked the car in the recall, and also a number of new 'upgrades'!!!

So Friday, there were no outstanding upgrades, or recalls but today my car has a 'number' of them. I enquired about what work was actually needed but was told that they need the car to see what work needs to be carried out.

The safety recall is evidently for a wiring harness to the SBC system that might need to be secured or modified?

John

If they don't know what works needs to be done until they have the car how do they know it needs any? Could be it is already up to date except for the recall.

RichardM said:
If they don't know what works needs to be done until they have the car how do they know it needs any? Could be it is already up to date except for the recall.

Hi Richard,
The Safety recall rests around the location of the electric cabling for the SBC system. On some 211's it will evidently just be a case of securing the wiring, others might need more extensive work??? (vibration has caused disruption of electrical power with a connector) Everyone MUST take into account I was told this information just after taking my morphine medication, so PLEASE accept that my recital might not be accurate ;)

The upgrades issue took me by surprise as on Friday the lady dealing with my car definitely checked on the database to make sure nothing was outstanding. (The letter from MB UK was clearly in the post) However today the computer has obviously been updated as it now shows 'upgrades' required for my vehicle!!

The dealer is not impressed with the way this issue is being handled and things are quite choatic. The recall reference is P037

Bye for now,
John

Got my letter today. I already knew that the vehicle needed attention because I had called the European Hotline in early April. Dealer knew SFA. Why?

Because the recall notice is dated today

There was the the "earlier " SBC recall of course, but this one looks like quite a bit of fiddling around.

This is the recall document from the US StarTek site. 33 pages. Shows that 15,979 vehicles afflicted including the 230 class (S Class?)

You will see that certain SBC units require COMPLETE REPLACEMENT.

If afflicted, do not waste time on this one: this is vital so get it booked in ASAP

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/6058/?requestedDocId=6058

Last edited:
Brett said:
I've not heard a peep out of my dealer or DCUK. I did have some recall work done a few weeks ago that should have done at the PDI centre before I picked up the car - I'll see if it is related. If not, it will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to inform me...

PDI is basicaly a quick valet with polish and slappiing on black to the tyres at the Stealers with the number plates fitted :rolleyes: Gr**n*aks do not even check the balancing of the wheels amongst many other checks i.e. country/vehecile settings via Star as my car was delivered with 4* unbalanced tyres and several incorerct country settings etc. and another stealer had to rectify this issue and picked up on it whilst working on the car...

Saftey recalls on the W211/S211 are the shambles with many defects/faults... Glad I dont own a W211/S211 as it would just drive me mad...

Flash said:
Saftey recalls on the W211/S211 are the shambles with many defects/faults... Glad I dont own a W211/S211 as it would just drive me mad...

Hi Flash,
Sorry to hear about the terrible experience you had with your dealer. So far my S211 has had one SBC recall and I believe fourteen upgrades.

In all fairness these upgrades have been brilliant and represent everything good about modern technology. When a new idea or improvement comes out, then usually it sits on the designers shelf until the manufacturer decides to upgrade the particular model range, this usually happens every couple of years or so. With the 211 these 'upgrades' are simply done via a computer link. The most notable one I have had is the Mp3 capability, BUT.... I have no idea of the techical advancements that each 'upgrade' has done to the COMAND, engine, brakes, etc, etc.

I should hate for Mercedes-Benz to think we do not appreciate these free upgrades, and they stop doing them.

Recalls are usually safety related and no one likes these, but thank goodness the problems are found and recified. They happen with every manufacturer and that is life, far better that they were found before the vehicle was mass produced but that never seems to happen.

I totally agree about this latest round being chaotic though and it should have been organized in a far better manner, but life just aint perfect. I have a feeling the battery issue is going to be one of these so called 'upgrades' my vehicle needs.

The US link is quite alarming especially as their 211's only have a very basic, cut down version of SBC. No SBC Hold, no SBC Stop. Surely if there was such a threat of the wiring unplugging itself then this recall would have been carried out sooner, rather than later.

Just like Satch I contacted the European hotline way back in the Spring and just like Satch I was told that my vehicle would probably be one of those that would be recalled. I contacted my dealer and they had no knowledge of what was happening, eventually they even wrote me a letter stating that Mercedes-Benz UK were totally in the dark over what was happening.

Just imagine the reaction of our tabloid press if there had been an accident directly caused by the SBC system failing!!!!

Then those parasites, "Have you been injured in an accident that was not your fault!!!" They would make the next absolute 'killing' :rolleyes:

I am one of these characters that always has a glass that is half full, rather than half empty. The sun is shining, my wife is happy and all is well in the World :)

Regards again,
John

I had my car serviced last Friday, and received a letter today about the Service update P037 as John indicates.

At the same time they did an upgrade which involved fitting a new battery.

I have just called the dealer and they confirmed that they did the work required last Friday. I have to say my dealership are excelling themselves at the moment :D .

Marc

Mind did the recall work before we went to France, some two months ago. It involved me having a stand up row with the service manager, on the basis that his computer not being the same as the one in Holland wasn't my problem, but a braking 'issue' (ie, SBC) which he couldn't explain, clearly was.

Work done, under duress. Subsequently checked by the next dealer to service the car - all fine. All I've noticed is the dynamic seats no longer 'deactivate' by themselves.

Just received my P037 recall notice and it's booked in for early next week - dealer moved work around so that it could be done a few clear days before heading off to the south of France.

Noticed some comments about the recall process, so thought it might be worth giving you some insight into the logistics involved.......

When a problem is discovered that may require a recall, the manufacturer has to do a number of things:

1. Identify a fix
2. Document the problem and resolution
3. Identify which vehicles would be covered by the recall
4. Get ownership details from the relevant licencing authority (DVLA in our instance)
5. Send fix procedure out to dealers
6. Send recall notice to owners

At stage 3 - unless it's a really nasty issue that requires an immediate check by dealers (usually fuel, total brake failure or catastophic powertrain failure) - the manufacturer will issue a press release about the recall. If it's a problem that requires immediate attention a blanket release will be made for all vehicles to be booked in for a check.

We have 2 disadvantages in this country - DVLA are not very good at responding to requests from the manufacturers for ownership details, and we are also a rhd country. This causes a delay as the fix has to be proven in a rhd vehicle - the rest of europe can be hit in one fell swoop while there may be particular issues with the rhd implementation (this may be the case with SBC - the "burping" from the system is, I believe, unique to the rhd implementation).

I don't want to get a reputation as standing up for the manufacturers on all occasions - I don't have any affiliation apart from having worked with DC, Ford, GM, Nissan, Renault, Peugeot, etc. However they do seem to get the blame for many things that they have no control over - what advantage do they get for deliberately disadvantaging / upsetting their customers?

We should think ourselves lucky that we have in operation (in the region we live) a system that insists that manufacturers issue these notices - in some parts of the world it's up to you and the dealer to sort it out on your own!

Anyway - the upshot is that you can call the hotline with your VIN and they can tell you whether the car is affected, but until the info is received from DVLA regarding the current owner / keeper is received, no official notice is sent out.

Yup, my letter arrived today, too. Amusing as the car was in the dealers last week, who said that the recalls did not affect me :)

Mr E said:
Anyway - the upshot is that you can call the hotline with your VIN and they can tell you whether the car is affected
My experience has been different. On two occasions the hotline said they were unable to say whether my car was affected, and I would need to visit the dealers for a check. I understood this was because mine was very near the cutoff point. I got the strong impression that all the hotline were working to were factory build dates. Mine was very near the date, so they couldn't say.
Of course the dealer said categorically that my car was not affected by any recalls. I did wonder how they knew, without looking at it, just from the VIN, when the hotline didn't...

calum said:
Of course the dealer said categorically that my car was not affected by any recalls....

I really hate it when someone gives a definite answer, when the truth is they have no idea. I much prefer an honest, "I don't know, but will find out!"

Are they arranging a courtesy car?

Good luck,
John

hi John, good to have you back, by the way.
glojo said:
Are they arranging a courtesy car?
The letter says so, although I've not yet spoken to the dealer (letter just arrived a few hours ago). Robinsons - my dealers - are very good normally, so I imagine they will, given enough notice.

Just rang dealers: Reception can't get through to the Service Dept; apparently "they are inundated with recall letter calls" :)

Perhaps I ought to have rung first thing...

Same here, can't get through to Servicing at all. I shall now expect the work to be done late this year :crazy:

I got my letter this morning. I note that DCUK sent the letter to John / Glojo earlier than everyone else. I think they must read this site!! Clear favouritism.

Got mine booked in the moment the letter arrived. Work being done early next week.

I was asked if the SBC unit had a round sticker on it saying "Q11". Mine does, which apparantly signifies that the earlier recall has been done, but if I understand matters correctly that does not mean the unit itself is OK and thus only needs the extra wiring harness/ground point fix.

It is possible that certain units will need to be changed.

prprandall51 said:
Same here, can't get through to Servicing at all. I shall now expect the work to be done late this year :crazy:

I got my letter this morning. I note that DCUK sent the letter to John / Glojo earlier than everyone else. I think they must read this site!! Clear favouritism.

I merely sent my commiserations when Uncle Juergen had his armoured S600 stolen when he parked it in the streets of Stuttgart.

I am sure there was no favouritism shown to me whatsoever. :D

Take care,
John

Got my call today from a very apologetic service manager. Booked in for the end of the month. Apparently the letter came out just after they'd completed the work a couple of weeks ago for the last recall .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom