Same camshaft on 320 as a c36amg?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zibpka

Car
Mercedes benz c220 and c36 amg
I have a c36 amg -96 with vin: WDB2020281F320682
My camshaft for the the intake snapped and now i looking for a used one.
I been told by the dealship that it's the same camshaft for more then just the c36. i got one from a scrapyard that's been on a E320 w124 automatic -1995 with vin: 1240921F307408

Is there anyone out there thats been trying to put another camshaft in a amg model?

According to my copy of EPC, both cars use the same intake camshaft A 104 050 74 01.

WIS does have a procedure entitled 'Matching camshafts and mounting' which refers to camshaft code numbers stamped on the 3rd bearing or on the rear of the camshaft flange. However, all variations cease from 04/91, so I would think 1995 ones would match.

I guess a second check with your dealer, as they can reference the WIS documentaion against LowMilerAMG's point raised above.

A 320 cam will fit , there's no problem with that regard as the cam's use same bearings/carriers. The difference lies in the grind I.e., the profile of the lobes. If you look at your original cam you will see AMG cast into it around the 2nd or 3rd lobe.

If I remember correctly the cam is still available from Germany, the trouble with most part guys is that they check chassis/engine no on WIS but these cars then list parts as C280's from which they were produced on.

The parts guy/girl needs to go into the AMG Specific sub menu and then the correct cam comes up. I think intake cam is circa £1500 and an additional £1700 for the variotor!

These were specific AMG Parts with circa 5000 units being made these older AMG Part prices are through the roof! How about £4800 for a set of pistons and £1200 for the intake cross pipe which sadly is NLA! Oh, the specific ECU is around £3500!! That's why apart from rust issues a lot of these C/E 36's get broken up as they can be so costly if AMG parts break!

A 320 cam will fit , there's no problem with that regard as the cam's use same bearings/carriers. The difference lies in the grind I.e., the profile of the lobes. If you look at your original cam you will see AMG cast into it around the 2nd or 3rd lobe.

If I remember correctly the cam is still available from Germany, the trouble with most part guys is that they check chassis/engine no on WIS but these cars then list parts as C280's from which they were produced on.

The parts guy/girl needs to go into the AMG Specific sub menu and then the correct cam comes up. I think intake cam is circa £1500 and an additional £1700 for the variotor!

These were specific AMG Parts with circa 5000 units being made these older AMG Part prices are through the roof! How about £4800 for a set of pistons and £1200 for the intake cross pipe which sadly is NLA! Oh, the specific ECU is around £3500!! That's why apart from rust issues a lot of these C/E 36's get broken up as they can be so costly if AMG parts break!

Well whats gonna happen when i attached the camshaft for e 320?
Will i loose horsepowers or what?
I'm a little bit confused about this =)

Well whats gonna happen when i attached the camshaft for e 320?
Will i loose horsepowers or what?
I'm a little bit confused about this =)

320 camshaft in a 3.6 engine = loss of power and rough running.

320 cam variator in a 3.6 engine = bent valves.

Camshaft's don't just snap, if yours has then you need to find the cause before you attempt to put it back together. And be aware that a 3.6 has the cam timing set differently to a 320.

Well I know very little about these cars but as it seems the cams are the same except for the profile it should be possible for the cam to be reground to the right profile,not sure if any machine shop has ever done this,given the cost of these parts now,I would of thought copying the amg cams into a cam grinder would provide a lucrative business for somebody.

the one from .de lists the correct part number A 104 050 7401, at least thats the part I found on EPC.

the one from .de lists the correct part number A 104 050 7401, at least thats the part I found on EPC.

The epc doesnt properly cover the 3.6, the dealers have the same issue when they look up an c36. They all come up as a c280.

The main item's that will catch the system out are: head gasket, cam vvt sprocket, inlet cam, pistons/rings, crankshaft, and parts of the air inlet.

Any amg up to and including the c36, the epc cannot be trusted 100% when dealing with the engine.

Rob is very near the money at £1500 for the cam!

Newman Cams in Orpington do prototypes and one offs from chilled iron blanks and nitrided steels.

You have to remember with AMG Parts that they all begin with the letters HWA

image-2181599285.jpg

The engine in the C36 is a M104 941 which is a 2.8 as that was the base car that was sent directly to AMG to tear apart and convert into the C36. It was early days of the takeover time with Mercedes and AMG, so these are still special cars although not appreciated by most! This process would not happen in the modern day due to cost.

Also you will see these three letters as stated earlier on any Cam claiming to be from a 36 engine!

image-2181599285.jpg

Attachments

• image-1892530351.jpg
    image-1892530351.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 11
Schrick also did updated cam's for the 104 engine but these are harder to come by than the AMG ones, although they do turn up from time to time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom