Samsung Galaxy S and BT SAP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amwebby

MB Enthusiast
Car
CL500
Just taken delivery of my shiny new Samsung Galaxy S. Very impressed with the phone, not the least because the extra home screens enable me to have the sort of widgets I was missing on my iPhone, calendar entries, tasks, Twitter and Facebook feeds etc.

It features BT SAP profile and paired with my Mercedes BT SAP unit but fails to upload the phone book. Obviously my workaround is to copy contacts to the SIM card so they appear on the COMAND screen but I wonder if anyone here knows any tricks to make phone book upload work? What BT profile is the MB puck using to upload the phone book?

Yes, I think I can help.

When the phone is all paired up and ready to go, you dial 0000 and wait. Ages.

Dial 0000 just as you would a normal number. COMAND will tell you the call is not possible, but leave it alone and it will load the telephone contact details in a few minutes. Then you are done for the future until you have made some changes and need to upload again.

Would that it were so easy. That procedure worked fine with my Nokia E71 but doesn't with the Samsung. If I knew the BT profile the 0000 call used I might be able to get it to work.

Just taken delivery of my shiny new Samsung Galaxy S. Very impressed with the phone, not the least because the extra home screens enable me to have the sort of widgets I was missing on my iPhone, calendar entries, tasks, Twitter and Facebook feeds etc.

It features BT SAP profile and paired with my Mercedes BT SAP unit but fails to upload the phone book. Obviously my workaround is to copy contacts to the SIM card so they appear on the COMAND screen but I wonder if anyone here knows any tricks to make phone book upload work? What BT profile is the MB puck using to upload the phone book?

I think its a Nokia specific the phonebook transfer, I had the exact same workings with my old Samsung RSAP phone. Think I will get one of these, wanted an Android but was always put off by lack of RSAP. Any other thoughts on the phone?

I think the phonebook transfer may be a BT profile either not implemented on the Samsung or missing the support files on the phone that were installed on my Nokia by PC Suite.

As regards the Galaxy S I love it! The 4 inch display makes using my iPhone 4 feel like painting a room through the letterbox and the super-AMOLED display is sharper and clearer than the iPhones. That, coupled with the productivity features the iPhone is lacking mean my shiny new iPhone 4 has been relegated to the drawer.

I also found I can send the Samsung display to COMAND via TV out. Thus I can have speed camera warnings on the COMAND screen and through the car's sound system. I use the Samsung's media player to play music and that the true multitasking of the device mean that speed camera warnings only come to the foreground when an alert is in progress, returning me to music once the hazard has passed. As it is via COMAND incoming calls mute both.

I think its a Nokia specific the phonebook transfer, I had the exact same workings with my old Samsung RSAP phone. Think I will get one of these, wanted an Android but was always put off by lack of RSAP. Any other thoughts on the phone?

It can't be a Nokia specific phonebook transfer, the other device is a Peiker device anyway.

I believe the phonebook is either transferred with PBAP bluetooth profile (fairly new, older phones do not have this) or through AT commands (over BT serial connection). My understanding is that most of the problems come from the transient when new devices may ignore the old approach and only support BPAP (both supporting one method but not the same).

It can't be PBAP as the Samsung has that and my Nokia E71, which uploads the phonebook, doesn't. Both phone have serial port profiles but I suspect the support files loaded on the Nokia by PC Suite support the AT commands necessary to transfer the phonebook and there are no corresponding files installed on the Samsung.

Last edited:
Sold. :) Will order one this week.

Does it play music through the SAP module?!? How do you have the audio connected for music in the setup you describe below?

I think the phonebook transfer may be a BT profile either not implemented on the Samsung or missing the support files on the phone that were installed on my Nokia by PC Suite.

As regards the Galaxy S I love it! The 4 inch display makes using my iPhone 4 feel like painting a room through the letterbox and the super-AMOLED display is sharper and clearer than the iPhones. That, coupled with the productivity features the iPhone is lacking mean my shiny new iPhone 4 has been relegated to the drawer.

I also found I can send the Samsung display to COMAND via TV out. Thus I can have speed camera warnings on the COMAND screen and through the car's sound system. I use the Samsung's media player to play music and that the true multitasking of the device mean that speed camera warnings only come to the foreground when an alert is in progress, returning me to music once the hazard has passed. As it is via COMAND incoming calls mute both.

Last edited:
No, it plays music via the auxiliary inputs on my TV. If you don't have a TV you can get a multimedia to COMAND adaptor that does the same thing.

No, it plays music via the auxiliary inputs on my TV. If you don't have a TV you can get a multimedia to COMAND adaptor that does the same thing.

Thanks, so a 3.5MM auxillary input combined with SAP will give me music from the phone with muting for directions (Navigation on Phone), speed camera warnings and phone calls(?).

Thanks for your help.

The video and audio comes from a 3.5mm multimedia lead plugged into the TV out of the Samsung and plugged into the video and L/R auxiliary audio inputs of my TV. Bluetooth is not involved here, that is only used for SIM access.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

That is sooooo cool :bannana::thumb::rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom