Samsung LCD TV Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
This forum is populated by such a variety of knowledgeable people, that hopefully somebody can help me with this.

I have just bought a new tv for the bedroom (Samsung LE19R88BD)

I plugged it in, and it went through the Auto Setup with no problems, and I got all Freeview channels and all analogue ones too. I then manually tuned the VCR to channel 0, and that worked fine.

So I tunred the telly off, and had some lunch. Then I had to show Mrs Doofus how to work it, and turned it on again, but all the analogue channels have gone (!) Now, whether I do an Auto Search or a Manual Search, it won't find any at all. I also can't tune into the VCR either, although it claims to have the same frequencies still stored in each channel position. All it finds is snow.

Aerial is connected to TV via the VCR, and whether or not I use a scart from VCR to TV makes no difference. DTV is still perfect.

What's up with the tuner? Is it broken, or can somebody enlighten me?

TIA

PJ

so if you use a scart for the vcr it doesnt work on one of the AV or Scart input channels?

Check your remote, there should be a button, that says DIGITAL/TV or something like that.

I'm sure you will need to press another button on your remote.

I've ar$ed about a bit more, and now, using a scart, I can get the VCR up, by using the 'Source' button (which I wasn't doing previously).

But it seems it's my analogue tuner which isn't working, because I can't get any analogue stations, even though I did before.

PJ

Check your remote, there should be a button, that says DIGITAL/TV or something like that.

I'm sure you will need to press another button on your remote.

I have a button at the top marked TV. That's to switch control to the TV, as opposed to a DVD, VCR, STB or some other source.

Then I have a TV/DTV button. On DTV, I get Digital TV, and that's fine. On TV, I get snow, and even when I try to manually search for a channel, it finds nothing. This is whether I have the aerial going through the VCR, or direct into the TV.

PJ

But when I tuned it all in first time, the aerial went via the VCR. Yes, TV is analogue, and DTV is digital. That's how I know the analogue doesn't seem to be working (unless I'm doing something wrong).

PJ

our phillips LCD seems sensitive to the order things are fired up, we have a dvd going into to a freeview box going into the telly via scart - different set up I know but you need to power the thing up in the correct order for the telly to see the other bits...

it might have got confused as it was hooked up to the vcr to start with. Is there a reset?

Ade

Yes, there's a reset. I guess that's the next thing to try.

PJ

I already tried that, as I said in my earlier post.

If I did that and it worked (which it doesn't), how would I record using the VCR? Where would that get its signal from?

PJ

Use the TV/DTV button to switch - BUT on the Samsung you have to type 01 to get channel 1 on analogue otherwise you just get 11 which isn't programmed and so snow!

You'll know when you are in analogue as you'll get Nicam in the caption for the selected channel

Thanks, but I know that. I'm using the P up and down buttons.

Whenever I select an analogue channelm I get a grey box which tells me the P number, the Channel number and the channel name (BBC1, etc), but it only shows snow.

What I don't know is why it won't tune in to any channels, even though it says they're stored, and gives me the various frequencies.

PJ

If you can get all the Freeview channels (including the normal channels 1-5), why are you worried about analogue 1-5 ... when the chances are you will never look at them?! :confused:

Out of interest, when your VCR is tuned into your TV (on Scart for example) do you get the analogue channels on the VCR tuner?
Yes

BTB 500 said:
If you can get all the Freeview channels (including the normal channels 1-5), why are you worried about analogue 1-5 ... when the chances are you will never look at them?!
Well mainly because I'd only had the telly for about an hour when it appeared to stop working properly. Also, when watching Freeview, it often freezes, and it can be useful to flick back to analogue. There's so little on Freeview, that we don't watch much other than the 'terrestrial' channels anyway.

I take your point about analogue being swithced off soon, and my next question (once we've confirmed the telly's bust) was going to be "Should I care?" :)

PJ

Your Freeview shouldn't be freezing unless you have old aerial.

I would try the reset and reinstall following manual step by step (I'm not intending that to be patronising) if it then doesn't work maybe consider taking it back

robert.saunders said:
Your Freeview shouldn't be freezing unless you have old aerial.
But all Freeview stutters, blocks and occasionally freezes (not permanently, but for a few seconds at a time) :confused:

It always seems to happen when somebody is saying something important, too!

I've had the aerial for less than a year. It was a completely new install, including all cabling, signal boosters etc.

robert.saunders said:
I would try the reset and reinstall following manual step by step (I'm not intending that to be patronising)
Not patronising at all :) I did install exactly as per manual, and it was fine, until I turned it off and then later turned it back on. I'm going to try the reset thing later, when Mrs Doofus is out of bed (she's not well, poor lamb).

PJ

I have Freeview (via DVB TVs and also BTVision) and Sky at home; the Sky freezes way more than ever does ;) but only on Sky103, I think ITV have a poor bandwidth on the Sky channels for their localised regional channels.

Anyway, sounds like it could be a duffer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom