Sand blasting/Acid dipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lotusmark2

MB Enthusiast
Car
Fiat 500, Mercedes B200
Hi all,
As you may know Fiona and I are restoring a Moggie 1000, well we have decided if a jobs worth doing, its worth doing well so am looking for anyone with opinions or connections with the Sand blasting or acid dipping treatments.
All advice very welcome.
Cheers
Mark

The advice I was given when looking at getting Powder Coating work done on my Spitfire was to make sure all screw/bolt holes have screws or bolts in as they tend to get blocked up during the process.

Dunno if this applies to the preparation sandblasting or not.

The process would definately remove all the rust etc and is used a lot by classic car restorers.
The protective finish needs to go on as soon as possible after the treatment.
The trouble is a Morris 1000 won't be worth a great deal once you have finished the resto and the money put in will probably be more than the final value.
Might be better to carry out a less rigorous restoration.;)

Good luck anyway.
I've got a number of projects myself including a P4 Rover 110 and a few TVR's.
The Rover has also had more money spent on it than it is worth but i enjoy getting my hands dirty.:rock:

I had my 69 Scimitar chassis shot blasted when I was restoring it in the mid 80's & apart from bits of the chassis not coming back (far worse than it looked) it was repaired, primed, painted (3 coats of chassis black) & waxoyled.
I sold the car 5 years ago & it was more or less in the same condition as when it was painted. Bear in mind that the car was summer use only & very rairly got driven (never mind wet) after it was done.

Yes Projects are good and usally cost more than there worth but we dont do it to make money do we?? :eek:

Do you want the whole car done then? I can do smaller bits and probably wheels.

The car might fit in the shot blast but I don't think there would be a lot of car left afterwards :D

I say it's worth sand blasting as i'm rebuilding a 67 shelby and i had the whole car sand blasted it takes away all the rust and leaves a clean shell but soon as it's been blasted the vehicle should be painted in red oxside or something similar.

BIG J said:
but soon as it's been blasted the vehicle should be painted in red oxside or something similar.

Whch should then be painted soon after as primer is porus.

Cheers all, yep its going to cost more than its worth but as has been said, we do it for the crack not profit.
ADY1983 said:
Yes Projects are good and usally cost more than there worth but we dont do it to make money do we?? :eek:

Do you want the whole car done then? I can do smaller bits and probably wheels.

The car might fit in the shot blast but I don't think there would be a lot of car left afterwards :D
yep looking at getting the whole car done, one of the reasons I was thinking more about dipping is that its less agressive but still removes all the rust.

There won't be much left after you've had all the rust sandblasted away! :D

GazCaff said:
There won't be much left after you've had all the rust sandblasted away! :D
True but I'll have fresh metal to use my new toy on (Clarke 160TE Mig and auto dim helmet:bannana: )

Can we get Ian sandblasted at the same time? :bannana:

Gollom said:
With that much decay the 124 Works would be minus one owner

I dont think I'll be doing the blasting at Ians as the media goes everywhere!!!

Gollom said:
You said you wanted your car by when? Hahahahahahaha dream on. :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom