Santander 123 account

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Druk, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Druk

Druk Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
    We're considering a switch to the above. Any comments for or against please and especially in relation to their internet banking interface. Is that user friendly or what?

Thanks.

2. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    I'll be watching this with interest, because I'm considering taking advantage of this account (but not as a primary current account).

I had a couple of A&L accounts which became Santander some while ago, and based on my experiences with those, their online banking facilities seem to work ok.

3. Palfrem

Palfrem Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
    Mrs P and I opened one each a while back.

They did leave a bit to be desired on Branch knowledge.

Branch told me I could pick and choose what DDs I wanted moving. Before I knew it all of them had been transferred to Santander. Including the one that funded the 123 account!

They had set up a circular DD!

The cash-back and interest is nice though.

4. lxi

lxi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL63 AMG, prior to that A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
    I'm midway through switching.

Product excellent
    The set up process (I did it on the phone) is excellent.
    Debit & credit cards arrived promptly.
    Branches appear friendly & helpful
    Online interface very good

Switch process - I can't say as it hasn't yet happened despite 3 weeks.
    Customer service for switch team are hopeless.
    Customer service for complaints even worse.
    I'm letting it go for the moment as you only need it once (I hope) but I will have someone's head on a plate once it's eventually gone through.

1 person likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Druk

Druk Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
    I wouldn't go for their credit card. We had one (each) a few years back and one day, out of the blue, a transaction was refused. When we phoned up they all but accused us of being liars and fraudsters when our security question answers didn't match their version. Their computers had got us mixed up with someone else. Grovelling apologies a week later but too late...cards torn up.

6. kam05

kam05 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C220CDI Sport (COMAND) W204
    Switched to a Santander current account (not the 123 account) sometime ago. The process was pretty easy and all my DD and standing orders got transferred easily.

£100 cash back also helped too :)

7. scillyisles

scillyisles Hardcore MB Enthusiast

The Santander Internet Banking facility is not the greatest offering out there. They offer a web based service which you can access from pc/tablet etc.
    It works (after a fashion) but gives you very limited information in terms of payment status. In particular it does not tell you anything about the payment status via Faster payments which is very useful if you want to know that the payment has arrived.
    They also offer a mobile app (I use the iphone version) Again this version is somewhat rudimentary when compared to the other banking apps out there.
    For both the web and mobile version the logon process is tedious compared to other banks.
    As others have mentioned their credit cards are not the greatest - I had one of their Zero ones initially but got shut of it after they changed the terms and made it much less attractive and also tried to charge low usage fees.

Customer service with Santander leaves a lot to be desired.

8. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
    This was a list published by "Which" not so long ago.

Current accounts Internet Telephone Branch availability Customer service Clarity of statement Dealing with queries & complaints Customer score
    First Direct excellent excellent satisfactory excellent excellent excellent 85%
    Smile excellent good n/a good excellent excellent 78%
    The One Account excellent n/a n/a good excellent n/a 75%
    The Co-Operative Bank excellent good poor good good good 73%
    Norwich & Peterborough BS good n/a satisfactory satisfactory good good 71%
    Nationwide BS excellent satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory good good 67%
    Yorkshire Bank good satisfactory poor satisfactory good good 64%
    Clydesdale Bank excellent satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory good satisfactory 64%
    Cahoot excellent n/a n/a satisfactory good good 62%
    Halifax good satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory 61%
    NatWest excellent satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory good satisfactory 61%
    HSBC good satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory 59%
    Intelligent Finance (IF) excellent satisfactory n/a satisfactory good satisfactory 59%
    Lloyds TSB good satisfactory satisfactory poor satisfactory satisfactory 56%
    Danske Bank (Northern Bank) good n/a satisfactory satisfactory poor n/a 55%
    Barclays good poor satisfactory poor satisfactory poor 54%
    The Royal Bank Of Scotland good satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory 53%
    Santander good satisfactory satisfactory poor satisfactory poor 51%
    Bank Of Scotland good satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory poor 50%
    Ulster Bank good n/a satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory satisfactory 45%
    Bank of Ireland n/a n/a poor poor poor n/a 41%

Santander don't seem to do so well on CS.

9. Stratman

Stratman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
    I have a 123 account and so far nothing has gone wrong.

The only slight criticism I would have, and it is very slight, is when you click on 'Log Out' on the web interface it doesn't log you out. You get taken to a page full of their latest offers with an 'Are You Sure' button instead.

On any site, but especially a banking one, when I click on 'Log Out' I want to be logged out, not second guessed by a web designer. I'd rather be logged out by mistake than left logged in by mistake.

Oh, and they keep pushing that Rapport junk. They can't believe I don't want it.

10. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Santander =Spawn of the devil last time I looked.

11. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    We (a non-profit organisation that I'm chairman of) had horrific problems with Santander a couple of years ago, and I wouldn't personally touch them with a bargepole.

They started bouncing cheques, claiming the signatures were invalid. They wouldn't speak to any of the signatories on the account, telling us that we weren't signatories and they wouldn't tell us who was.

We got a clue when they sent a letter to the guy who had been treasurer some years previously, but at the current treasurer's address. I rang them up and asked if they had perhaps implemented a new system or had to reload some data ... and accidentally reverted to (very) old signatory information.

This was flatly denied, but in the end (after more than a week of arguing) they admitted that yes this is exactly what had happened. We had to get them to write to the suppliers who'd had cheques bounced on them, explaining why. The compensation offered was something like £50 IIRC.

As soon as it was sorted we closed our accounts and moved them to HSBC.

1 person likes this.
  12. ss201

ss201 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    190E 2.6 Sportline, W203 320 CDi SE Estate
    I got a 123 account when they were first introduced. The monthly charges are outweighed by the cashback on D/Debits so it's free to use and it pays 3% on balances up to £20k. Never had a problem with internet banking & faster payments - has always worked for me. I have avoided their 123 credit card for reasons I won't go into here.

Was wary at first, on reflection I did encounter a few minor hiccups but the local branch sorted them quickly. It has proved good for me. I also have a First Direct account. It pays no interest but the service over the 10 + years has always been absolutely excellent.

1 person likes this.
  13. racall

racall Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Silver C270 oil burner Silver R172SLK
    Ive a 123 current account paying 3%
    I just wonder when the 3% rate will run out??
    Cant find any info on the web site.
    BTW the 123 credit card has a annual fee of £24

1 person likes this.
  14. iaingreer

iaingreer Active Member

Our joint account is good! No problems and been with santander since the alliance and Leicester take over. Cash back is good and outweighs the charges for me. Interest is good and the online banking and app work well for what I need them to do as well!

I'd recommend going thorough quidco as they have a £55 cash back on it when you sign up!

1 person likes this.
  15. Peter DLM

Peter DLM Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
    I've had a 123 account for ages and I suffer no problems, very happy with it. I get about £35 a month back in interest and rebates on various energy etc payments. I've not had to use their customer services in the last 15 years so I can't comment.

The fraud detection system works well though, calling my mobile instantly when I've tried to make large £10k payments with my debit card. Payment would fail, my phone would ring, answer a few questions and then the payment would then go through. Reassuring.

16. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    +1.

They got my mortgage DD wrong months on the trot, then started repossession proceedings. Although my Solicitor wrote to them 3 times they never answered.

The final laugh was ours though... they didn't even turn up at Court and the case was thrown out, with a nice award for costs to us!

BTW, their reputation in Spain, their home country, is rock bottom.

17. ss201

ss201 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    190E 2.6 Sportline, W203 320 CDi SE Estate
    I asked the same question recently at the branch and was told that this rate will always continue with this account. Doesn't stop Santander from discontinuing it in the future and re-introducing it with a new name (and lower interest). Banks are past masters at pulling stunts like that.

The 123 credit card annual fee of £24 put me off. I'll stick with the one credit card I already have, thank you, and not get into any bother that way.

1 person likes this.
  18. knighterrant

knighterrant Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Yes
    Transferred from Santander's standard account to 123 over a year ago, having previously been with their predecessor Alliance & Leicester for just about ever! In the last 12 months their charges have been £24 and they've paid me £222.84!

In all my years with A&L and then Santander I've only had a couple of minor hiccups which have been quickly resolved. I'm sticking with them.