SAP Cradle instructions req'd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350_Coupe

Car
2005 C350 Coupe SE
Looking for a link to the instructions for the following SAP Bluetooth Adaptors please, if anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction....

v1: B6 787 5840
and
v2: A204 820 0535

Right now i have both, and would like to try and get one of them working in my 05 C350 Coupe which is carrying the Convenience telephony (386) UHI option from new.

So any links or help would be appreciated, Not 100% sure they are compatible with my phone, but whilst messing around i did manage to get my phone to show on the COMAND screen ,but was unable to get it to do it again, there is probably some real simple step i am missing on the phones settings, or as i am slowly beginning to suspect, i may need the v3 SAP cradle if i want to go this route
TIA :)

What phone do you have?

Blackberry Pearl 3g (9105 i think it is) .... like i said, without actually knowing the exact procedures for pairing i did manage to get it to show on the comand screen, but i think i had to select it and type in a code, or that is what i was lead to believe, anyway it timed out on me while i was faffing lol

ok, been messing around with this today some more, and did manage to get it to connect to the v2 Cradle, with mixed results....

1. Managed to get it connected using the instructions from page 12 onwards of this guide (thanks to npuk for the pointer)
MercUpgrades SAP Cradle v2 Manual (pdf)
.... i'm assuming that was the instructions for the v2 cradle, looking at some of the dates on it !

2. Phone asks for all the confirmation stuff first time around, all good, and COMAND asks for PIN number EVERY time you enter the vehicle and it connects.... hmmmm, not so good !

3. MAde call ok, but no phone book, and sms list ?? (is that only when sim card is inserted ?)

4. Disconnected it manaully to see how the auto connect works, and that's as far as i got.... i could not get it to connect again LOL and no "connect" option in the phone menu for it, like i see for the Viseeo

Here's some more links i found, and i "think" these that use 62872 as a Pass-Key are for the v1 cradle

Cradle Manual

Cradle Quick Guide

Plus i came across this info written in a post elsewhere, it is likely to be info stripped from those manuals to be honest ! - but credits to the original poster
Notes on using the BT system.
======================================
Holding down the MB logo on the BT module for 2 seconds put the BT module into active mode (rapid LED blink)

ANSWER / DIAL / PICK UP: Gives you a list of phones that are nearby or the "search" feature. (on COMAND only)

CLICKING ON THE PHONE: Gives you the pairing code (16 digits)

Other notes
======================================

a) When the pairing is good the system disconnects and then starts up again. If your phone is NOT set to AUTOMATIC then the phone will ask you for pairing permission.

b) To set the AUTOMATIC feature you must look at the pairing profile for the MBPHONE profile inside the phone.

c) There are two kinds of profiles in Bluetooth being used. One is for SIMM ACCESS PROFILE (to answer calls) and one is for SERIAL PROFILE (only used for phonebook). That means if you setup the phone the first time it will reboot twice. If you set the phone to AUTOMATIC then you will not need to answer the ACCEPT request on the phone.

d) "0000" + "DIAL" does download the phonebook but it disconnects first.

e) If your SIM has a pin code it will ask for it each time you enter the car. If you leave the car and do not walk far away then the car will ring and not the phone.

f) Once you tamper with the phone settings in paired mode the phone will disconnect from the car.

Don't be put off by the phone rebooting the system.

Will keep on playing with it, might grab a v3 cradle if i get the opportunity (but i aint paying £300+ for it :lol: )

Last edited:
The auto connect is a feature of your phone. you need to make sure its set on the phone.

The pairing procedure for the V2 is exactly as per the manual in the link to Richards page. Its a real pain but it does work provided of course your phone supports Sim Access POrofile or Remote Sim Mode.

Neither the SAP V1 or V2 officially supported any blackberry phones and in my experience I have only ever managed to get Nokia's to connect to V2 cradles.

UPDATE:-

it looks like the phone book wont work from the inserted SIM, if the numbers are stored on the phone.....
score0.gif
for Blackberry then, they strips everything off the SIM and puts it on the phone, so that when the phone f**** up (which it WILL) you loose everything
fail_smiley.gif
... i knew that was a sh*tty idea the minute i saw it.... why, oh why, oh why did i get this crappy thing.

Life was so much easier when you could simply clone the dam SIM card, or plug your phone into a PROPER car phone kit, that basically gave you all the phone options via a separate screen/handset, whilst charging the phone and taking the antenna feed from the car mounted one through an amplifier ..... sometimes progress is a backward f*****g step !

The auto connect is a feature of your phone. you need to make sure its set on the phone.

The pairing procedure for the V2 is exactly as per the manual in the link to Richards page. Its a real pain but it does work provided of course your phone supports Sim Access POrofile or Remote Sim Mode.

Neither the SAP V1 or V2 officially supported any blackberry phones and in my experience I have only ever managed to get Nokia's to connect to V2 cradles.

Thanks Alfie, actually just found another thread here which you helped in :p

Anyway to your points above...

1. Auto connect sorted, it was always turned on on my phone, but when i was experimenting i disconnected from the car manually on purpose, but, what i did find out is that the SAP cradle will make one attempt only to connect each start, if it fails you have to invoke it manually (havent worked that out yet !)

2. Yup that was the v2 one, the other seems to be v1 ?? and uses some pass-code ? (i have both cradles at the moment, havent played with the v1 one too much yet though, figured newer cradle stood a better chance of working!)

3. Phone Does support SIM Access Protocol :) - and it's turned on lol

4. Neither the SAP V1 or V2 officially supported any blackberry phones - yeah, seems very little supports Blackberry, and when it does it seems hit and miss if the Blackberry firmware is stable and will work consistantly - this will be the last useless piece of s*** i get that has a backberry label on it - EVER! and i might even be tempted to bin this thing long before i'm due an upgrade and switch to another phone, or possibly even another network ,getting thoroughly p***ed of with o2 now - and there si zero recognition for staying with a network provider now at all.

As for this, i might just get a pay as you go sim and have my phone divert to that maybe, or drop that number on the voicemail mesage

btw.... SAP Cradle v3 Manual :D

Last edited:
ok, confirmed working :)

So, SAP v2 cradle, Blackberry Pearl 3G (9105) works

Just went out to the car, fired it up and the phone connected, took about 20 seconds or so longer than the ViseeO does to see the phone and connect, it did not ask for the sim pin number this time :) phone book transfer i initiated manually by dialling 0000 and hitting send, that seemed to work fine, sms messages are not stored on the SIM card (typical BB crap again) so will try some tests with it again later.

Now i have to decide if i want to try the v1 cradle and see if that is faster to connect, more stable ... will test this one out for a few days, was there any major differences between the v1 and v2 other than increased compatibility ? - i know the v3 one had the USB charging function, very useful that is, especially if you have a cradle that wil take your phone for charging, you just hook it into that USB socket :p

ok, confirmed working :)

So, SAP v2 cradle, Blackberry Pearl 3G (9105) works

Just went out to the car, fired it up and the phone connected, took about 20 seconds or so longer than the ViseeO does to see the phone and connect, it did not ask for the sim pin number this time :) phone book transfer i initiated manually by dialling 0000 and hitting send, that seemed to work fine, sms messages are not stored on the SIM card (typical BB crap again) so will try some tests with it again later.

Now i have to decide if i want to try the v1 cradle and see if that is faster to connect, more stable ... will test this one out for a few days, was there any major differences between the v1 and v2 other than increased compatibility ? - i know the v3 one had the USB charging function, very useful that is, especially if you have a cradle that wil take your phone for charging, you just hook it into that USB socket :p

Interesting if you got the Blackberry phone working with the V2 BT SAP adapter, perhaps RIM has changed their BT implementation now.

The main difference between V1 and V2 should be that V2 can remember pairing with 4 phones while V1 is a bit like myself, can remember one thing at a time. V2 also stores the PIN code so that you have to enter it only once for a particular phone/SIM car combination. V2 is also a bit better with phone book downloading, I think the V1 did not support phone memory from my E90 while V2 did.

I would assume V2 to have some minor bug fixes too over V1.

I think you have done well! Persistence clearly does pay.

I would never have thought a BB would pair with any MB BT modules, except perhaps the HFP.

I'm not a fan of BBs anyway - who would have thought that it would be popular to mate a phone with a typewriter? :dk: :)

Now the V2 and BB have paired, you should find it all an automatic process from now on. Did you authorise the pairing (from the phone)?

If you are like me, however, then you will find that once in a while COMAND will ask you for the bloody SIM PIN and you have to pair all over again. Not often, but it's still very annoying when it happens.

Anyway - good luck with it ,and I hope it works OK in the end.

P.S. If I were you, I think I would be tempted NOT to try the V1 now you have got the V2 to (sort of) work.

Interesting if you got the Blackberry phone working with the V2 BT SAP adapter, perhaps RIM has changed their BT implementation now.
Could be, i do remember reading something about it whilst looking at the v3 cradle, in fact, it might have been on Comand Online's website, but i do remember a specific comment about Blackberry's latest being altered, but may still have SAP issues !

The main difference between V1 and V2 should be that V2 can remember pairing with 4 phones while V1 is a bit like myself, can remember one thing at a time.
LOL

v2 also stores the PIN code so that you have to enter it only once for a particular phone/SIM car combination.
I thought that was a feature of both, i read it in the partial user manual i managed to find, think i linked it above (not the mercupgrades link, the other one) still, something to bear in mind i guess

v2 is also a bit better with phone book downloading, I think the V1 did not support phone memory from my E90 while V2 did.
hmmmm, maybe i got impatient with it then, i figured as RIM strip all the info off the SIM that the SAP protocol would fail on the phone contacts, so i hit the "0000" and dial method to transfer, and it went ok :) .... i am of course assuming i don't have to do that every time !

I would assume v2 to have some minor bug fixes too over v1.
me too, hence the ass-backwards trial method !

Have to admit, the privacy phone is something i have had before an would dearly love again, i am assuming that was only an option for the v1 model ?
(of course, more handy if the centre console opened both ways, mine only seems to open one way so not so easy for passengers to get to :rolleyes:

I think you have done well! Persistence clearly does pay.
Stubbornness more like :D

I would never have thought a BB would pair with any MB BT modules, except perhaps the HFP.
As you can probably tell from my previous posts, i am not a blackberry fan, i do not enjoy :wallbash: which is the main over-riding feeling i get from owning one of these things, i have had a mobile phone longer than most due to some fortunate contacts, my first one was way back when they were analogue and the phone serial was the important thing, and it needed to be ESN free and not connected with any particular network! now i have a smart phone, with half as many accessories and toys as i had for the old phones and i'm not overly impressed :p
I also have a ViseeO but found it somewhat iffy when combined with the blackberry, especially in the phone book transfer, it was taking forever to sync with the cradle let alone transfer to COMAND, so much so that i sourced the code to stop it auto syncing on connect, but i also found that there was a number of times it simply was not connected whilst in the car :(

I'm not a fan of BBs anyway - who would have thought that it would be popular to mate a phone with a typewriter? :dk: :)
That, sums up my thoughts of it in a pretty simple statement, the only reason i got this one, is because it does NOT have that full keyboard, nor does it have that b*stardised thing they introduced on the original Pearl..... this one has a standard (ish) cell phone keyboard

Now the V2 and BB have paired, you should find it all an automatic process from now on. Did you authorise the pairing (from the phone)?
Initially yes, and also ticked the little box to not ask again for that device, had to then go back and check the settings cause it popped another box or something and screwed with what i was doing, but all seems good now.

If you are like me, however, then you will find that once in a while COMAND will ask you for the bloody SIM PIN and you have to pair all over again. Not often, but it's still very annoying when it happens.
I hope not :rolleyes:

Anyway - good luck with it ,and I hope it works OK in the end.

P.S. If I were you, I think I would be tempted NOT to try the V1 now you have got the V2 to (sort of) work.
Thank you ... .and yeah, that thought is drifting through my mind for sure lol, the v1 cradle i have is the SLR design one (accidental purchase :eek: ) but i do like the privacy handset, so it would be remiss of me to not test the v1 cradle i have at some point, i also might have a line on a sensible priced v3 cradle :)

One thing that is blatently obvious, with all their money, "experts" and designers, and software geeks .... they have made a monumental mess of this entire phone system, period ... if i turn off the car, get out and lock it, you can be pretty dam sure i dont want the phone to remain connected to it, wheter i'm 2 feet or 10 feet away from it :doh: at least the SAP protocol is easier to cancel, because the Blackberry whines like a scolded brat at the thought of not having control of the sim connected, and has a message on the screen saying SAP mode active, press ok to cancel (which it nicely highlights for easy accidental selection :doh: ... another of my pet hates with it!) .... at least it has the decency to pop a second confirmation option, of course that is annoying and would not be needed if they disabled the keypad properly etc etc when not in use !!

I do have my eye on one of these .....

NOV17046.jpg

to use in conjunction with a charging cradle for the phone, maybe even modify a brodit one to take the USB feed ...

512182-4.jpg

or a THB Bury one.....

thb_bury_activecradle_system_9_pearl3g_9105.jpg

Still got my eyes on the MB panel, but the Blackberry is soon to be gone from my life forever, unfortunately best deal i could do is a replacement BlackBerry BOLD 9780 to replace the crappy pearl, it'll do until i can get to a sensible point to get out of the contract

Pearl 3G returned to o2 as not fit for purpose, Bold 9780 now in use, and i have a v3 SAP cradle installed and working :)

Connectes fine to the BB Bold 9780, ring tones are a bit naf, set it to one that is te closest to a basic phone ringing !

Address book seemed to take a while so i triggered it via 0000 and dial, seems ok now, but it's listing by last name first, and that's not what i want lol

My address book is a mess, but again that's BlackBerrys fault, because it stripped everything off the sim card and auto inserted it .... wrongly i might add, so all numbers are tagged as "work" ..... *sigh*

Will keep this one until the buy-out cost of the contract is equal to the value of the phone, then it's gone

little update on this, now i've been using the v3 Craddle for a little while.

Phone is set to display phone book (contacts) by first name, yet v3 cradle in COMAND insists on sorting by surname, which i am sure the v2 didn't ... it also can NOT deal with a contact having more than one number listed for them, for example home,work and mobile ... when i have that on the phone and dial, it asks me which number, COMAND simply displays the mobile number only, and gives you no choice .... i thought this was different on the v2

Phone book transfer has been atrocious lately, more and more i am finding myself having to dial 0000 to transfer the phone book, because it's simply not there when i need it :( phone hooks up wel though and volume for microphone seems better (v2 was quiet)

This is all with my Bold 9780, so might swap back to the v2 cradle before i sell it and see if my experience is the same (previous v2 useage was with the Pearl) one thing i am sure of - and that is that i am seriously glad i paid nowhere near full price for the v3 cradle, cause i'm less than impressed !

now....
1. Auto connect sorted, it was always turned on on my phone, but when i was experimenting i disconnected from the car manually on purpose, but, what i did find out is that the SAP cradle will make one attempt only to connect each start, if it fails you have to invoke it manually (havent worked that out yet !)

This is actually quite easy..... simply press the "tel" button on the COMAND unit again after selecting it once, and it will re-initiate the connection sequence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom