sap from trees removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SmartMAC

Car
C250 CDI Sport Coupe AMG
I am on holidays in Spain camping and got the car covered in super sticky sap from conifers. Washing makes no difference and even the wind screen washer does do anything on the drops which are on the wind screen.

I use WD40, takes all sorts off the paintwork. Wouldn't use it on the windscreen though. Lots of hot water and car shampoo should clear the windscreen.

Russ

Place a towel soaked in hot water/car shampoo and leave it on the screen to soften the sap deposits. It might take a while and require the occasional 'top-up' with hot water.

FOR GLASS ONLY!!!!!

Absent anything else, Acetone or lighter fluid.

If the evil stuff has hardened a bit use a razor or stanley knife blade to carefully slice/ scrape the worst off.

Take great care of your fingers, paint and plastic

Thanks. I'll try the hot water first and I'll try to find a clay bar. I feel better now.

Wash - Tardis - Clay Bar in that order should have your paintwork prepared nicely ready for a polish/waxing.

FOR GLASS ONLY!!!!!

Absent anything else, Acetone or lighter fluid.

If the evil stuff has hardened a bit use a razor or stanley knife blade to carefully slice/ scrape the worst off.

Take great care of your fingers, paint and plastic

Razor blades will scratch the glass.

Best thing I find is when it rains or I use the water from the water butt. Or if i'm doing a full clean, Magifoam and snow foam lance gets rid of it no problem.

Hot water, cotton cloth and loads of patience worked a treat. My options were limited in a camping site so I am glad it worked.

Now some little scum has taken the valve caps last night. No doubt to put them on some crappy bike. I better don't find him. :(

Best thing I find is when it rains or I use the water from the water butt. Or if i'm doing a full clean, Magifoam and snow foam lance gets rid of it no problem.

2 type types of sap, though. Sycamore and the like is water soluble, rain will remove it (not a problem this year!). The pine stuff is harder as it really isn't water soluble, unless you soak it for hours.

WD40, turps substitute or petrol is good for that resiny stuff. Then clay/polish, etc.

traffic film remover in a 50ml bottle is easily stowed away and is awesome at removing anything, just remember to dilute it before cleaning.

Razor blades will scratch the glass.

Well, I have been doing that for some years now and nary a scratch. Just have to be careful, use a new blade and apply as little downward pressure onto the glass as possible.

With the bigger gobs it is just slicing the top off.

Alcohol hand gel, polish afterwards.

i'd recomond useing the Auto Glym Clay bar detailing kit (£25.99), followed by a good coat of Auto Glym High Definition wax (buy it online as its much cheaper than in Halfords £35 as opposed to £44.99 in Halfords) its made a massive difference to the bodywork of my car, Highly recomended

As mentioned, a clay bar will be the best way of safely removing the sap and other bonded contaminants from your paint work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom