SAP v2 as an emergency phone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
I have a telephone pre-wiring in my car (option 386) but am aware of the limitation of both Viseeo and SAP v4 - I have an iPhone 6.

Not really bothered with having incoming calls to iPhone routed to instrument cluster as such - Garmin takes care of that, and with full voice control - however, seems a waste not to use the MTUS feature ... or maybe I just don't like seeing "NO TELEPHONE" :doh:

I am considering getting either a cradle with an antiquated phone or, preferably, SAP v.2, with a completely separate SIM card, and use it as an emergency/spare phone?

Anyway, am I correct in understanding that, SAP v2 with it's own SIM card will simply act as a separate mobile, having nothing to do with my iPhone? Or, does it have to be a cloned SIM only, with some sort of bluetooth link between the main phone and the SAP unit?

I have just installed a SAP v4 in my CLK.

As I understand it, from the not very clear instructions, inserting a SIM card automatically turns off its Bluetooth connectivity. So it is then an independent phone.

However, the SIM card is inserted rather like a memory card on a mobile phone, i.e. its still retained in its its slot if you press it in to disconnect it. Therefore, you could leave it in its slot whilst using Bluetooth and only press it in to connect when you wished to use the SIM card.

I have a Windows phone, so I just put it to divert to the SIM number when I am driving.

Thanks, that's what I gathered from some very brief descriptions on eBay, etc.

It's good to hear confirmation that, my assumption is correct and SAP can function as a fully independent phone. Diverting incoming calls is a good idea, particularly for long trips (I'm too lazy to do it every time, I'm sure) ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom