Sat Nav - Again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin 1

Car
'05 CLK 200 auto Convertible. silver with blue hood.
Hi folks, sorry, me again. I would very much like a fitted sat nav in my CLK 200K. The “Command” components seem affordable but I’d need an expert to fit it all, currently I’ve got the “20” radio. Please can anybody help, or know of such an expert ?

Comand Online in Lightwater Surrey are the go to place for Comand refits.

Hi folks, sorry, me again. I would very much like a fitted sat nav in my CLK 200K. The “Command” components seem affordable but I’d need an expert to fit it all, currently I’ve got the “20” radio. Please can anybody help, or know of such an expert ?
Send us an email with your VIN number and the part number of the Comand unit you have and I will draft you up a quote. [email protected]

Hi Alfie, sorry, no command, I'm at the beginning of this process. Vin is WDB2094422T048192. Car is an "05" A209. It has the "20" radio and CD changer, which I'm expecting to lose. I didn't realize there were different Command models, your guidance would be most welcome.

Alfie, I understand it should be an NTG 2.

Is your car the facelift model (2005-2010)?

If so, then your current Audio20 unit can be upgraded to either COMAND NTG2, or better-stoll to COMAND NTG2.5. The newer NTG2.5 unit has Bluetooth Telephony and built-in HDD.

Personally, I am a fan of COMAND retrofits (and Alfie's guys at COMAND Europe have retrofitted NTG2.5 to my W203, and NTG4.5 to my W204), because of the original look-and-feel and the full integration with the car's systems e.g. instruments cluster display, steering wheel controls, clock, etc.

That said, in spite of being the newer model of the two, the COMAND NTG2.5 unit is still quite old in terms of technology, so some people prefer a more modern non-MB alternative.

Either way, Alfie will be able to advise what are your options. Personally, I wouldn't let anyone else install it other than the guys at COMAND Europe.

With NTG2.5, the latest and last map update from MB is 2019 - I have 2.5 in my SLK and the update DVD's sitting on my desk - having installed them in my SLK after Comand.co.uk updated the firmware with the 09/29 update that the original supplier had "forgotten" to do!

Alternatively just purchase a decent aftermarket system which is far superior to the outdated MB offerings, significantly cheaper too!

Several threads on replacing units on a CLK of that vintage, have a read....

Alfie, I understand it should be an NTG 2.
Yes, the car is a model year 2005.

Sadly Mercedes never offered the CLK with NTG 2.5 so thats not an option.

If you want to keep the car looking OEM then you need to install an NTG 2 comand unit. Yes these are now outdated but if you want OEM and to preserve the value, look and feel then NTG 2 is the way to go.

If you look out for a Comand unit then you need one that starts with A209 8.. .. .. do not be tempted by any other part number as it wont fit.

The Comand unit will work with your existing phone prewire and CD changer.

We can help you fit it and then code it all properly for you.

Hi Alfie, I'm very grateful for your trouble. Getting hold of, and installing an old Command system doesn't seem the right way to go. my main interest is in an up to date sat nav. If I can get one, would you consider installing it ? This one for example. 7" Android 10 GPS Sat Nav CarPlay DAB Car Radio For Mercedes C-Class W203 S203 | eBay
We tend to steer clear of the Android units due to poor quality and not offering all they promise. Some people love them. We have seen too much disappointment from customers so we do not supply them. If you want one installed we will do it for you but please do not blame us if it doesnt deliver what you were expecting!

Have you looked at the latest Alpine or Pioneer units?

We will happily install one of those for you.

I have a Pioneer AVIC-920 in my CLK and love it. The install was far from straight forward as I wanted a roof mounted shark fin to handle GPS, DAB, AM/FM which involved dropping the headliner, added to this was the install of the rear camera. You do not get full functionality of the steering wheel controls/display even with the adaption kit. This loss is well compensated for by the added features of the Pioneer unit, it allows you to choose from three navigation apps Here, Waze and Google maps. The non factory look is at first a bit stark, but after a while you become to like it.

Well worth the money and effort, compared with the factory fitted head units in my 2020 Fiat vans the Pioneer is light years ahead. The Fiats run Tom Tom but you can't get live traffic updates which in my game is like playing tennis with no strings in the racket and the DAB reception is crap.

Thank you kindly Alfie, I'll go looking for quality as you and Trickythemerc suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom