Sat nav disc upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M12CDK

Car
Cls 500
Hi guys and girls. Just bought a lovely 2005/55 plate cls 500.id there an. Up date sat nav disc for these? Mine has the original oone which is loaded in nav changer in boot. Was wondering if there was a more modern or upto date version disc available. Cheers

I think the latest discs are 2016/17. I hardly ever use the Comand satnav, clunky system with plenty of button pushing.
For frequent use buy a modern touch screen system.

Hi guys and girls. Just bought a lovely 2005/55 plate cls 500.id there an. Up date sat nav disc for these? Mine has the original oone which is loaded in nav changer in boot. Was wondering if there was a more modern or upto date version disc available. Cheers
Last year I bought an update disc for my 2007 car from CommandOnline.co.uk it was the 2018/19 edition. It may be worth contacting them to see what the latest version is?

I found other sellers that were a fair bit cheaper but can’t speak as to how good they are and anything you get from Command Online is guaranteed to work.

I might have disc here if you give me shout on Monday , I got them for a s class to upgrade my maps
and worked fine .

eBay £30

I believe your 2005 C219 will have COMAND APS NTG1.

If so, then this is your disc:

But, as PhantomF4 said, call or email them, they'll know exactly what's what.

EDIT: AMGeed beat me to it :D

OP before you run off buying a disk, please put up a pic of the unit so the correct disk for the unit can be designated.
or contact comand online.

How would a fake DVD kill the drive, it will just spit the disk out surely.
No.

The fake discs are poor quality and this makes it difficult for the laser unit to read the data causing it to scan multiple times and often overheats.

No.

The fake discs are poor quality and this makes it difficult for the laser unit to read the data causing it to scan multiple times and often overheats.

This is correct, or actually it can be a high quality burnt DVD but still stresses the DVD drive more than a genuine maps DVD (which is not a burnt DVD, differently manufactured). Then again, a £10 USB drive can burn and read these DVDs and works forever with any DVD!

Another claim is that the navi drive gets confused from a possible firmware update on the maps DVD. No device would run the update before reading and checking the validity of the content before starting the SW update. The only trouble could be no success with firmware update (extremely unlikely if the DVD drive is still working, which again is almost rare ;)).

The fake disks dont have the necessary firmware update on them which is loaded first time the disk is used. They also are notoriously unreliable causing multiple rereads. Ive removed drives that are almost too hot to the touch and found a fake disk inside. Put in a genuine disk and the unit runs much cooler.

The drives in the units is very very old now. Im sure the technology has moved on from circa 2001 when these drives started to appear in the cars.

The fake disks dont have the necessary firmware update on them which is loaded first time the disk is used. They also are notoriously unreliable causing multiple rereads. Ive removed drives that are almost too hot to the touch and found a fake disk inside. Put in a genuine disk and the unit runs much cooler.

The drives in the units is very very old now. Im sure the technology has moved on from circa 2001 when these drives started to appear in the cars.

Sorry Alfie but I doubt any thief would have that effort to modify the content rather than simply producing a copy. I have not purchased any of these copies but DVD images are everywhere in the internet and all of them are content-wise straightforward copies, why would a thief sell something different.

The firmware update is neither needed on the NTG1 COMAND if the latest update is anything decent. They just put the firmware back because of the trouble when very old cars were updated and Mercedes was stupid enough assuming that all owners update their Navigation data with the ridiculously expensive DVD every time a new version is released.

Considering DVD drive technology, I wouldn't say NTG1 NAVI DVD drive longevity is anything as good as any cheap drive of the same age. It even is a simple drive just reading DVDs.

I'll stop here because the above may be interpreted promoting illegal copies which certainly is not the intention. My main point is a rant on the NTG1 DVD drive quality that Mercedes had accepted.

I could still add my opinion on the way to avoid the market of illegal copies: drop the price to something decent. Daimler would surely make more money selling these at lower price because car owners would really purchase updates frequently. After all, pretty much the same content is anyway available for free from Here WeGo for smart phone apps and the cost must come from gathering the database, not from producing a DVD for a car navi unit (I know MB previously used other maps sources but their mistake if this is the current status). Daimler should aim at happy owners instead of making their distributors rich or nowadays themself trying to collect all that money via on-line purchases. Skoda makes enough from their car sales to provide free updates...

Ive used various copied discs from ebay in NTG 1 and whilst they work ok a couple have got so hot that you can barely touch them and one actually deformed with the heat and got stuck in the drive. None of which is going to do a 15 year old drive unit any good at all. So back to the ludicrously expensive MB disc

Ive used various copied discs from ebay in NTG 1 and whilst they work ok a couple have got so hot that you can barely touch them and one actually deformed with the heat and got stuck in the drive. None of which is going to do a 15 year old drive unit any good at all. So back to the ludicrously expensive MB disc
I rest my case.

I've bought several NTG2 DVDs from eBay and, touch wood, not had any issues, including with the one that did a firmware upgrade - apart from one which became detached in its case during transit so arrived scratched, but the buyer refunded.

I've only bought DVDs shown as genuine and as best I can tell they are - they're in hologrammed cases and both the case the DVD look printed properly etc.

I'm not comfortable doing this, but the MB pricing for update NTG2 DVDs of £200 is just insane. I was a bit miffed as I grabbed V18 for £50 a few years ago after I read somewhere it was the last NTG2 update MB were doing - then V19 appeared!

In my car the phone used to go in the armrest holder so wasn't visible, but now I have an iPhone with a bluetooth puck so as the phone stays out I think these days I'd simply use Waze if I needed nav. In fact I used it the other day in wife's VW as the built-in nav in that is close to useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom