Sat Nav doesn't not understand me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rosetta

Car
C 200 SE 9G-Tronic Plus Auto
I've recently got a new Merc, just working my way through some minor annoyances.
The Sat Nav doesn't understand me! I'm from Yorkshire, and even if I speak clearly, it's 50/50 if it understands me or not.
For instance, it doesn't understand, "Car wash" and directs me to something 37 miles away. What is the alternative term for "car wash"? Is there a way to teach it? Also, is there a way to navigate to simply a postcode?
Secondly, if I have music on, on certain roads, the sat nav lady is too quiet. I know the music lowers itself, but she's still quiet. Is there a way to turn her volume up?

I know I should look in the manual, but it's the size of a breeze block. :)

Last edited:
You go through various commands and repeat back to it . It learns your voice.

To turn up the satnav volume, adjust the volume while it's speaking. There are ways to make it repeat the last instruction - but I can't remember them.

Re postcode, until fairly recently MB satnav would only accept the first 5 digits (including in the 5 is the space in the middle!!) so it's easier, if you have a system like mine, to use the street address to enter a destination - but plan ahead, plan the route on Google Maps so you have a picture in your mind of your route, I'll often ignore "Katie". Quite amusing - a mile or so of "make a U turn when possible" or take a turning that's obviously aimed at getting you back to her chosen route. Eventually she gives up and finds the route I want!!

I've recently got a new Merc, just working my way through some minor annoyances.
The Sat Nav doesn't understand me! I'm from Yorkshire, and even if I speak clearly, it's 50/50 if it understands me or not.
For instance, it doesn't understand, "Car wash" and directs me to something 37 miles away. What is the alternative term for "car wash"? Is there a way to teach it? Also, is there a way to navigate to simply a postcode?
Secondly, if I have music on, on certain roads, the sat nav lady is too quiet. I know the music lowers itself, but she's still quiet. Is there a way to turn her volume up?

I know I should look in the manual, but it's the size of a breeze block. :)
If you ask for ar$e cream does it take you to a tutti fruity parlour for a 99 ?

"Sat Nav doesn't not understand me"

Maybe it's the double negative ? ;)

NJSS
Oh yeah. *must proof read posts before posting* :wallbash:

Aye!

Thank you. I assume this is a phone app and does it directly link to the Sat Nav in the car without having to faff around pressing buttons?

Re postcode, until fairly recently MB satnav would only accept the first 5 digits (including in the 5 is the space in the middle!!) so it's easier, if you have a system like mine, to use the street address to enter a destination - but plan ahead, plan the route on Google Maps so you have a picture in your mind of your route, I'll often ignore "Katie". Quite amusing - a mile or so of "make a U turn when possible" or take a turning that's obviously aimed at getting you back to her chosen route. Eventually she gives up and finds the route I want!!
I had a feeling that I'd end up having to do that. When I was testing it, it wanted me to take a U-turn and go in another direction when I knew the way I wanted to go was quicker.

I work with a lad from Sheffield. I know how the car feels 😂
My OH is from Barnsley (although not for 30 years)!
This. Go through system menu and reset the voice. It will be set up to the previous owners voice
Thanks, I'll have a look into it. I've been trying to find out where it is and can't find it.
I could always try "LITFMS". ;):)

Oh yeah. *must proof read posts before posting* :wallbash:

Aye!

Thank you. I assume this is a phone app and does it directly link to the Sat Nav in the car without having to faff around pressing buttons?

I had a feeling that I'd end up having to do that. When I was testing it, it wanted me to take a U-turn and go in another direction when I knew the way I wanted to go was quicker.

My OH is from Barnsley (although not for 30 years)!

Thanks, I'll have a look into it. I've been trying to find out where it is and can't find it.
I could always try "LITFMS". ;):)

This is for my car , maybe the same 4u.

Settings - linguatronic - start new individualistion.

Thanks for everyone's help, but nothing seems to be helping. The only thing I can think of is that I don't have the required elements installed in the car.

This is for my car , maybe the same 4u.

Settings - linguatronic - start new individualistion.
I can't find this.

This. Go through system menu and reset the voice. It will be set up to the previous owners voice
I can't find anything that says "reset voice" anywhere.
How does Waze help? How does it connect to the car? I know it's via bluetooth, but how does the car know to use it? I've downloaded it to my phone, but no idea what to do next.
You go through various commands and repeat back to it . It learns your voice.
Unfortunately, I can't find any menu item which asks about learning my voice.

Sorry if I sound like a technophobe, I'm not. It's just that my previous car was a 2005 Mercedes C180, so I've never had a car with this spec. Seems I'm getting nowhere, but I don't know if that's because the car doesn't have the spec fitted or not.

It's a beautiful car, and I love her to bits, I am so pleased with the purchase for the miles she has and the age she is for the price. TBH, if it doesn't have the specs in it for what I'm asking, I don't actually mind, but if it has something, I want to use it. :) If not, hey-ho, don't mind.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience with me!

Forget talking to it, do you have your Mercedes Me set up?

If so, then find where you want to go an your Phones Google maps, then hit share (which brings up Whatsapp, Mail, etc. ) select Mercedes Me from the list and you are done.

When you get in the car the destination will be waiting for you on the screen.

What specific unit do you have - probably able to offer more specific advice then

Forget talking to it, do you have your Mercedes Me set up?

If so, then find where you want to go an your Phones Google maps, then hit share (which brings up Whatsapp, Mail, etc. ) select Mercedes Me from the list and you are done.

When you get in the car the destination will be waiting for you on the screen.

This sounds great. Very useful, thank you!!

Just downloaded the Mercedes Me App and have registered via the VIN no, so now I've got to contact them in the car......obviously, they're not in the office right now, but hopefully I can do it tomorrow!

What specific unit do you have - probably able to offer more specific advice then
I'm not exactly sure, but I'm hoping the advice @jimbg gave will sort it out.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience and help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom