Sat Nav doesn't not understand me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, I've still got nowhere. I simply cannot understand where I'm going wrong.

I tried inputting addresses/postcodes etc into google maps, as well as trying the waze app (which I thought was quite a good app), but it simply won't share with the car.
I've tried to share with Mercedes Me, nothing happened. Tried via blue-tooth, it "failed", or simply didn't do it, didn't connect, did nothing.
(The phone is connected via blue-tooth as I can make calls).
Mercedes Me app, as far as I can tell, does absolutely nothing. I'm still working out what it actually does. What does it do to enhance or utilise any feature in the car?
I cannot understand where I am going wrong, I have watched numerous videos on YouTube, followed all advice, but I have literally got nothing from the app from day one of installing it, got nowhere with the sat nav.
If I say "town" to the car, it only recognises major towns and cities.
I cannot say a postcode, ever, that option simply isn't there.
3/4 of the time, it doesn't recognise my voice, even though my accent isn't particularly strong. It often doesn't recognise a simple address and will suggest somewhere random 300 miles away.

I don't mind it doesn't have "live traffic" or that the SD card is likely a clone. I simply just want a sat nav system that works.

Quite frankly, it's crap. And I'm p****d off, as I've been trying for over a week and achieved nothing. Sorry for the rant, but it shouldn't be this hard, and when you buy a decent car, things shouldn't be this hard.

Can you not just input the destination postcode into the GPS while in the car.....?

I can send destinations form HereWeGo to COMAND, and I have played around with it when I first got COMAND to connect to the Internet 4 years ago, but not since... never saw the point, really.

Well, I've still got nowhere. I simply cannot understand where I'm going wrong.

I tried inputting addresses/postcodes etc into google maps, as well as trying the waze app (which I thought was quite a good app), but it simply won't share with the car.
I've tried to share with Mercedes Me, nothing happened. Tried via blue-tooth, it "failed", or simply didn't do it, didn't connect, did nothing.
(The phone is connected via blue-tooth as I can make calls).
Mercedes Me app, as far as I can tell, does absolutely nothing. I'm still working out what it actually does. What does it do to enhance or utilise any feature in the car?
I cannot understand where I am going wrong, I have watched numerous videos on YouTube, followed all advice, but I have literally got nothing from the app from day one of installing it, got nowhere with the sat nav.
If I say "town" to the car, it only recognises major towns and cities.
I cannot say a postcode, ever, that option simply isn't there.
3/4 of the time, it doesn't recognise my voice, even though my accent isn't particularly strong. It often doesn't recognise a simple address and will suggest somewhere random 300 miles away.

I don't mind it doesn't have "live traffic" or that the SD card is likely a clone. I simply just want a sat nav system that works.

Quite frankly, it's crap. And I'm p****d off, as I've been trying for over a week and achieved nothing. Sorry for the rant, but it shouldn't be this hard, and when you buy a decent car, things shouldn't be this hard.
I must admit that my experience to date with built in satnav on modern vehicles (not just Mercedes) is that it is, to put it politely, challenging at best. I have rapidly lost interest and temper in equal measures with the systems fitted to Mercedes, BMW and VW group cars I have known and if I have need to rely on satnav to get me to a destination I don't know I generally resort to sticking my good old steam powered TomTom to the windscreen. It looks rubbish with its cable crammed into the ashtray, but it just works.

Can you not just input the destination postcode into the GPS while in the car.....?

I can send destinations form HereWeGo to COMAND, and I have played around with it when I first got COMAND to connect to the Internet 4 years ago, but not since... never saw the point, really.

When I press the voice button, it goes to the sat nav, and comes up with a list of options, saying "speak command" (or something) on the screen it has a list of options, sadly, none of which allowed a postcode. See below.

.....However, I have just discovered if I go in manually (ie not by voice) and go via the options, I have found I can input a postcode manually!
:banana:
:thumb:
I am now happier.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I must admit that my experience to date with built in satnav on modern vehicles (not just Mercedes) is that it is, to put it politely, challenging at best. I have rapidly lost interest and temper in equal measures with the systems fitted to Mercedes, BMW and VW group cars I have known and if I have need to rely on satnav to get me to a destination I don't know I generally resort to sticking my good old steam powered TomTom to the windscreen. It looks rubbish with its cable crammed into the ashtray, but it just works.

Glad it's not just me, I was thinking I was just missing something, or I was just a bit dim......(although I am still not discounting the possibility 🤣).

They don't make it easy, do they?

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Much appreciated. At least I can input a postcode manually, and I'll just have to remember that it only recognises me when it feels like it. :thumb:

I discovered yesterday my car supports an app called android auto. You connect your phone via USB and press phone on the steering wheel. Its meant to display whats on your phone to the cars screen. Ideal to use Google maps etc , unless I'm totally wrong 😁😁😁

I have found mine v good even when driving all over Europe either speaking to it or by manual input

From memory, you need to go to 'Import POI' on COMAND Online to download the destination that you sent to the car from HereWeGo.

Haven't used it in ages because it does not really offer any great convenience over the old-fashioned method of typing-in the post-code into COMAND and saving the destination......

Yet another of the Mercedes variations in their implementation of features, on NTG 5.5 I do not have an import POI function! :wallbash:

I discovered yesterday my car supports an app called android auto. You connect your phone via USB and press phone on the steering wheel. Its meant to display whats on your phone to the cars screen. Ideal to use Google maps etc , unless I'm totally wrong 😁😁😁

That's what all the videos on YouTube say.......mine does not, even with the USB connection.

Yet another of the Mercedes variations in their implementation of features, on NTG 5.5 I do not have an import POI function! :wallbash:
Yes, very frustrating. I have a POI on mine, though. The inconsistency is all a bit weird.

TBH, I'm past caring! I was annoyed with it yesterday (hence the rant), but as I now realise I can input things manually (too obvious and simple to realise), I'm happier.

The functions on this Merc are a thousand times better than my previous Merc, which was a 2005 C180, so I shouldn't complain:
It plays music from my ipod
It has digital radio, so I can listen to Radio 6 Music, which I LOVE!
It has more safety features that I can wave a stick at.
It goes like sh!t off a stick.
Okay, the sat nav is rather, erm...... eccentric. I can live with it.

I've had her a week and a half now, and I'm still in love. I still smile when I open the curtains in a morning and see she's still there. :thumb: 🥰 (Sorry about that).

Yes, I have had mine since last September and in general very pleased with it.
For the price it was I cannot complain as it cost around the same as the 3 year depreciation on my Range Rovers! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom