Sat Nav / LiveTraffic Issues (2019 W213)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbmk99

Car
E Class 220d W213 (2019)
Hi all,

I noticed that the navigation system does not get any map updates. The current version is 2018/2019 (V13.0) EUROPE:

IMG_20210531_091915.jpg

I booked a service with Marshall Mercedes-Benz (Southampton) and left the car there. They called 5 hours later to tell me that an update server is down and to ask if they could keep the car for another day. Fine. I went to pick up the car the next day and was told that the navigation was updated. I asked if the nav suppose to update itself automatically (COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5) but the answer was "no". I went to the car and found out that the map version is still the same, so went back and asked why. I'm afraid the lady had no idea what she was talking about, she said they did update it, brought a laptop to show me a service record and asked me to read it myself if I don't believe her. I can read, so I did and there was nothing about updating maps, it was about updating Hermes module... I briefly explained the difference, and she went to ask a service guy for help. A few minutes later I was told I have to drive the car, and "once it will connect to the satellite, it will update itself".

It didn't update (maybe the satellite wasn't around) but LiveTraffic system stopped working since the "service" was done. I checked the subscription and it's still valid:

IMG_20210531_091853.jpg

Looks like they also manage to break the internet link, it does not connect any more.

IMG_20210531_113850.jpg

My questions are:
  • Does the nav system suppose to update itself?
  • What is the latest version available for W213?
  • Should the map version displayed on the screen change after an update process?
  • Is this how Mercedes customer service looks like these days?

Q1) Yes if it is set up to, but the transfer can take forever, and download can get stuck on %
Q2) 2021 v19.0 if I remember correctly, will have to look in the car
Q3) yes should change immediately
Q4) yes at some places.

it would be far easier and quicker for you to do it yourself, you can do it via Mercedes Me portal, you download on a usb stick, and plug it in your car, and hey presto. This is how many do it, best way in my opinion.

Thank you, I'm downloading the update right now. Looks like I'll need to book another service to fix LiveTraffic.

My W213 updates automatically it sends me a msg when it does, it’s a 2019 model year.

Looks like the update they applied to the communication module didn't help, it made things worse. I'm sure the car was able to connect to the internet before the "service" but it couldn't find any updates.

Was the HERMES update a recall? There have been recalls in this module and the dealer will probably be more incentivised to perform recalls than fix satnav updates. Best go back again and ask them to sort it if the update has stopped several features.

My W213 updates automatically it sends me a msg when it does, it’s a 2019 model year.

Sure, but it takes forever and only the home region. Far quicker to do download to a USB stick and you can do the whole of Europe if you think we might be allowed back there one day! :rolleyes:

Sure, but it takes forever and only the home region. Far quicker to do download to a USB stick and you can do the whole of Europe if you think we might be allowed back there one day! :rolleyes:
That's not the case I have had three European map updates over the air in the last year on my 2019 car, all done when I wasn't driving it so I neither know or care how long it took.

I obviously do not drive around enough! 🚗

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom