Sat Nav map orientation.

Map Orientation, which is your preference?

• North Up

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Heading Up

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
Now, for some reason my brain can't cope with map orientation being anything other than North Up. This makes perfect sense and I have no trouble working out an upcoming left or right turn when heading south, or down.

Heading Up is just wrong and confusing. I use N, E ,W and S to navigate and get my bearings, how on earth can you do that with this setting!? :wallbash: The only advantage I can see is the left is left, and right is right no matter what.

Which setting do you favour?

Up north is best.

Many many moons ago (Tomtom days) I used heading up, and kinda got used to it (TT maps didn't have much detail other than the road you were on), but have to have North up now, find it so much easier to navigate alternate routes.

I don't struggle with the graphic saying turn right when the map shows left when going South.

Being the ultimate southerner, even Milton Keynes is north for me.

Where does 'up north' actually start - geographically speaking of course ?

Yorkshire/Lancashire.

Here's something I made earlier;

Last edited by a moderator:
Anywhere north of the Thames is foreign - I take my passport if I ever need to venture across the river, and an armed guard if I need to venture north of Watford:D:D

Oh my goodness, don't tell me the wife is going to start turning the car upside down to work out which way we are going :D

Which setting do you favour?

I favour the complete opposite to you for the complete opposite reasons.

I am travelling forwards I want the sat nav tracking up, the same way I would hold a map.

Only my opinion though.

I always have the satnav displaying in 3D, so heading up is the only logical way.

But then reading a paper map, it'll usually be North up

I use both. The BM has a very wide screen and you can split the display - so I have a more panned out map in 2D view with north pointing up, for general 'where am I' views, plus a 3D perspective map zoomed in to the next 125/250 yards, which is direction oriented.

But sometimes, I just look at road signs.....

My north-south divide used to be the M27 as a child, but I've since learned that places like Winchester are not ice-locked all year round.

I change the nav depending on what I'm doing. The NTG1 seems designed around heading-up: it places the map much better. This is what I use on familiar routes to give traffic alerts etc.

In unfamiliar territory, I prefer north-up to use it more as a map than pace notes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom