Sat Nav speed limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fordgt40

Car
C63 AMG estate
I've just noticed my sat nav on my 2012 C63 is picking up temporary speed limit signs, the ones at the side of the road held down with sand bags, as well as the permanent ones, it's accurate to the yard, I'm confused as to how it does it, anyone know?

Sounds like it will be Speed Limit Assist (I think it's called). Standard on the C63 I'd expect. Standard on the S-Class too.

And yes it does pick up temporary signs as well as permanent ones and shows them in the corner of the nav, or in the middle of the speedo in the S-Class

Still can't get my head round as to how it does it, as I said in my first post it's almost inch perfect.

Speed Limit Assist uses two things: 1) Image recognition from the camera mounted at the top centre of the windscreen; 2) Speed limit data from the sat-nav cartography.

2iw34oy.jpg

Uses this camera mounted behind the mirror. Maybe it's infrared like Night Vision and if it reflects off a sign with a big '50' on, for example, then it knows what the sign says (because the actual numbers won't be reflective like the rest of the sign).

Thanks for the replies chaps, it now makes sense.

Yes, as said (but with a bit more detail)

a) The camera reads the speed limit signs it sees. (Same camera is looking for headlights / rear lights if you have Xenon and thus auto-dipping lights, and also looking at the white lines if you have lane assist/assist+)

b) It then interprets the meaning of the non-numeric signs based on the map, so if it sees a 'National Speed Limit' sign it will display 70 or 60 based on if you are on dual carriage way or not (found from the map).

- My experience is that occasionally it picks up a speed limit sign on an exit road instead of the dual carriage way you are on
- Its superb
- It also picks temporary signs up (such as roadworks) and overhead gantry signs
- When you get in another car you realise that you do look at the map display regularly for confirmation of the speed limit (normally when I see a speed camera!!!) and when its not there you have to think a bit !!

Richard

Is there any way I can the speed camera locations on the display?

If you have NTG4.5, and if you have the camera with the function (there are two camera versions, one for just headlights, and one that does the extra), then you can have speed limit assist.

So, if your car has the auto-highbeam function you can change the camera and re-code everything to get speed limit assist. If you have the camera and lane warning assist (I think that is the name), then speed limit assist will not need the camera to be replaced, just s/w updates and coding.

Richard

- My experience is that occasionally it picks up a speed limit sign on an exit road instead of the dual carriage way you are on
- Its superb
- It also picks temporary signs up (such as roadworks) and overhead gantry signs
- When you get in another car you realise that you do look at the map display regularly for confirmation of the speed limit (normally when I see a speed camera!!!) and when its not there you have to think a bit !!

Richard

Agree completely. Especially the point about the camera picking up signs on side roads just off the road you're on!

You can of course disable the system but it's always useful.

Its quite good how it works and I have never noticed it not Picking up signs (I'm sure it has)

There's a stretch of road near me that seemed to be confusing it for some time. It was showing up as 40mph but there were no signs anywhere. Or at least, that's what I thought. Actually there is a speed limit sign on the road in the section that I use regularly, but it's so badly placed just where I join the road that I simply hadn't spotted it. But the car did! It took several trips to finally spot the sign, and many of my neighbours still don't believe me when I tell them the road has a 40 limit. Damn clever these Germans!

The limit shows briefly at the expense of everything else on the multifunction display every time it detects a sign, and permanently on the sat nav screen if it's on until the limit changes. I'd be lost without it now - the speed limit assist - and the sat nav!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom