Sat Nav Update Issues with Dealership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

d2jlr

Car
GLC
As a new member I hope I have posted this in correct place!

Have had my 2016 GLC since new 2016 and I believe it has Comand system,

I have been asking to have my sat nav updated by dealership since 2017 to reflect massive 36 mile bypass round Aberdeen will all the associated new junctions.

Does anyone know if Sat Nav should have been updated for FREE during first 3 years?

Dealership are saying EACH update would have had to been paid for by me (believe now version 13?)!

They now want £117 to upgrade!

While I am now out of 3 year cover complaint has been ongoing since 2017....anyone with similar issues with Mercedes dealership especially Aberdeen?

Hi and welcome,

No I’ve had a very similar problem.

Bought a 2016 model last year which has never had the maps updated. When I questioned this with MB Head Office I was told the updates have to be specifically requested at service and they wouldn’t have been done automatically??!!

Have registered a formal complaint which has been rejected and then lodged with the ombudsman.

I downloaded the datacard which clearly shows that it came with 3 years of sat nav updates.

MB tried to tell me there hasn’t been any updates since 2016 which I’m sure is rubbish.

If I were you I’d download the vin datacard showing the update package and then it’s irrefutable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi and welcome,

No I’ve had a very similar problem.

Bought a 2016 model last year which has never had the maps updated. When I questioned this with MB Head Office I was told the updates have to be specifically requested at service and they wouldn’t have been done automatically??!!

Have registered a formal complaint which has been rejected and then lodged with the ombudsman.

I downloaded the datacard which clearly shows that it came with 3 years of sat nav updates.

MB tried to tell me there hasn’t been any updates since 2016 which I’m sure is rubbish.

If I were you I’d download the vin datacard showing the update package and then it’s irrefutable?

Hi The Blimp
Thank you very much for your reply and sorry you are also having issues with MB.
There has certainly been updates as now Version 13 (so I am told )
Would you be able to tell me where I can download the Datacard re comes with 3 years of Sat Nav updates?
Also where would I get the VIN datacard?
I also intend heading to ombudsman if no joy!

Sat-Nav updates are free for the first three-years and are tied into the car not the owner. The most recent update for ours was done for free in 2019.

0B0102C1-CEAB-48DF-831E-71496198FA0B.jpeg I had this issue when I bought my slk, it had not been updated since new, they say that customer has to ask for it to be done, it clearly says 3 years free updates, if command, it’s part of service schedule which they should work to, and not cherry pick the bits that they want to do, to be fair to Mercedes Wakefield they agreed to update maps and firmware for free :thumb:

Hi The Blimp
Thank you very much for your reply and sorry you are also having issues with MB.
There has certainly been updates as now Version 13 (so I am told )
Would you be able to tell me where I can download the Datacard re comes with 3 years of Sat Nav updates?
Also where would I get the VIN datacard?
I also intend heading to ombudsman if no joy!

Hi,

If you go to this site and put your vin in it will show you all the factory fitted options it came with .

VIN Decoder for Mercedes-Benz

Mine showed the 3 year free update option.

It looks like this :-
51ba5c333966630e73b2fe29360a5c5b.jpg

Thanks

Ian

When mine was in it's first 3 years I found the supplying dealer incredibly reluctant to do the map updates. In the end, I only managed to get two done during the entire period, one by the supplying dealer and one by the dealer I switched to for servicing. I did ask at it's last service, which was just before the warranty expired/3 years were up but was told that i already had the latest map version. It was a different dealer the I had switched to, and I did believe them.

I suspect the dealers simply don't get paid enough by MB to do the updates so will come up with any BS to fob you off. Poor that MB themselves are trying to do that same though, but it just confirms my opinion of MB and the contempt with which they regard their customers.

UPDATE; The dealership today completed the work for free after i demonstrated via past emails that I had repeatedly asked for the upgrade!

Unfortunately Mercedes Comand Sat Nav have still NOT added the Aberdeen AWPR the largest road bypass project completed in Europe in the last 10 years which has gradually opened in 2018 and completed January 2019.

Think a new car is required...and it will NOT be a Mercedes!

Thanks to all who contributed it was most appreciated especially TheBlimp for the valuable VIN information

View attachment 93171 I had this issue when I bought my slk, it had not been updated since new, they say that customer has to ask for it to be done, it clearly says 3 years free updates, if command, it’s part of service schedule which they should work to, and not cherry pick the bits that they want to do, to be fair to Mercedes Wakefield they agreed to update maps and firmware for free :thumb:
Can I ask why yours is version 19? Have just had Comand V13 installed today. Also is there somewhere you can find out ALL the things that are supposed to be carried out in a Mercedes Service?...as you say they cherry pick so wish to stop that.

Can I ask why yours is version 19? Have just had Comand V13 installed today. Also is there somewhere you can find out ALL the things that are supposed to be carried out in a Mercedes Service?...as you say they cherry pick so wish to stop that.

Hi,

Have you checked the Sat Nav version as oppose to the COMAND version?

I have a feeling they have just updated your COMAND and not your Sat Nav!

Ian

COMAND Online NTG4.5/4.7 - latest maps is v19.0

COMAND Online NTG5*1/5*2 - latest maps is v13.0

The issue is that after the 3 years expired, any free update comes out of the dealer's pocket.

Which is why it's fairly easy to ask the salesperson to throw-in a free maps update for a 2016 car before you sign on the dotted line, but it's an uphill struggle to get the dealer to touch-up after you have taken possession of the car...

From what I've read on here and t'other side it's deeper than that, basically because doing a map update ties up a service bay for a couple of hours that the client can't be invoiced for, so main dealers duck where possible. Basically you need to know how to check what version maps you have installed, check with someone like comand.co.uk what are the latest maps available for your system, give the dealer written instruction to carry out the free update telling them what maps you have installed and what is the latest available version that you want installed, then before taking the car away from the dealership re-check what version you now have installed! Do not trust the dealers - i've seen reports of dealers saying they've installed the latest availble version where comand.co.uk then say they're at least 1 if not 2 updates out of date, plus my 2008 SLK supplied and for the first 5 years of its life serviced by MB North Wales had not had a 09 firmware update installed when I tried to install the 2019 maps a few months ago!! I found it still had the original 2008 maps, but at that time the 3 years free updates had not started, but they should have updated the firmware FOC during a service.

The dealers get to do a specific "warranty" claim 3 times, I,e for 3 map updates to cover the labour/workshop time, so they tend to want to do that at the yearly service. The VeDOK system will generate free licence codes up until 3 years - and then it charges (the dealer).

So they should be doing them, but that warranty payment is less then a normal retail hour of work - so I guess if they are busy they may not do map updates ...

Richard

Not sure where you find out what is done on each service, I was told that map update is done on first three services, but only if customer asks for it, I say that if you’ve paid extra for command then they should just do the update, as for versions they just said that they would put latest maps and firmware on this is what I had prior to update BCACCA12-FC52-4648-8A5B-617CBBF9C8AC.jpeg

Think a new car is required...and it will NOT be a Mercedes!

Just get a car with Andoid Auto or Carplay support and use your phone. These days car satnavs are inferior.

Just get a car with Andoid Auto or Carplay support and use your phone. These days car satnavs are inferior.
That's about the size of it :thumb:

Hi,

Have you checked the Sat Nav version as oppose to the COMAND version?

I have a feeling they have just updated your COMAND and not your Sat Nav!

Ian

Hi
ISsbFgzINlKumHx5OCm3Wi1P6VeHkF191pkwyXYZnC3-ci7n3fGB67DfGTtOd9o9CT6z3_iaWaEssorQsjjdJQEw21-nhYT8DInqeeTZlHbT2A3EfRXdKylK_1VHFtMgnPVMvnJmI5RYau4zzD0ghylU6Wr6u6eLGAyXXC0HsjZ1jPkRRsPAjxc7vGFJQESakteKJtD-eHlr7W1UgQGtf_gV8aZ2-QwjOAojoymCz1PTJ3v_UM_prUBe78B4d-fOMf_kOejlptcgPqtxqMgiqXx0KeH8ttHCF94EEj_RQtcI-ORx8NgWJsHs9_eT351Xv9P5whOQFAW97teulouXb-Az7WqL94J1ph4jjClBm4PMQzKKBuLdwBnPtYEhak7T4v5dDof--RNh3wa9C2Nr7NcX0ibiQ7ucZDrgsfW_qwCfSjxmbaU80qshIzOoYZyvkavOo36cIZgHvol0EMQehJWQ2f8M8iQHkF0750w4WdFxKrBmsNho3E8hPXXuAJ5_wdRANC1YuKhd9THwhaFEf1vHT1jdcs_1FIt8cu6s3k9PUhAaECDlhXJz23G1jg3pKZ3iVYWrk2btQjTMnpoFA-8LGgCRekdH2r8Krf3KBwrObqlrwxRjQltxrBDOgoOYRzqPqDxk7bLoulhrg_Lo2e6lzJyYfM5Qgz9Q7XiK_rqFX2pJGQ=w168-h223-no

Still trying to ascertain what actually has been done to car!
But above was what was given to me after update?

Hi
ISsbFgzINlKumHx5OCm3Wi1P6VeHkF191pkwyXYZnC3-ci7n3fGB67DfGTtOd9o9CT6z3_iaWaEssorQsjjdJQEw21-nhYT8DInqeeTZlHbT2A3EfRXdKylK_1VHFtMgnPVMvnJmI5RYau4zzD0ghylU6Wr6u6eLGAyXXC0HsjZ1jPkRRsPAjxc7vGFJQESakteKJtD-eHlr7W1UgQGtf_gV8aZ2-QwjOAojoymCz1PTJ3v_UM_prUBe78B4d-fOMf_kOejlptcgPqtxqMgiqXx0KeH8ttHCF94EEj_RQtcI-ORx8NgWJsHs9_eT351Xv9P5whOQFAW97teulouXb-Az7WqL94J1ph4jjClBm4PMQzKKBuLdwBnPtYEhak7T4v5dDof--RNh3wa9C2Nr7NcX0ibiQ7ucZDrgsfW_qwCfSjxmbaU80qshIzOoYZyvkavOo36cIZgHvol0EMQehJWQ2f8M8iQHkF0750w4WdFxKrBmsNho3E8hPXXuAJ5_wdRANC1YuKhd9THwhaFEf1vHT1jdcs_1FIt8cu6s3k9PUhAaECDlhXJz23G1jg3pKZ3iVYWrk2btQjTMnpoFA-8LGgCRekdH2r8Krf3KBwrObqlrwxRjQltxrBDOgoOYRzqPqDxk7bLoulhrg_Lo2e6lzJyYfM5Qgz9Q7XiK_rqFX2pJGQ=w168-h223-no

Still trying to ascertain what actually has been done to car!
But above was what was given to me after update?

I can make out V15 on that document but the writing is too small to see what it refers to. Current version or previous?:dk:

Last edited:
I can make out V15 on that documnet but the writing is too small to see what it refers to. Current version or previous?:dk:
Sorry thought you would be able to click to expand...says V13!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom