Sat nav update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rosie5golf

SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes e320 avant-garde estate
I've just purchased two update satnav discs for my 2008 w211 but understand that I might need my comand firmware updated too.
My question is, how do I install these two discs ? Do they go in my CD slot ?
Do I need to unload all my cd's first ?
How do I start the process ?
I 'phoned my MB dealer who is saying that the cost of updating my firmware cost £160 and could take an hour. Surely that's way over the top.

That does sound excessive for an update, is that via Mercedes (Baron Group) Norwich?

I have read that you can trash your system if not using genuine discs.

I’m sure someone will be along soon who knows what they are talking about.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was charged £90 for firmware update by Waterhouse MB chelmsford.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I've just purchased two update satnav discs for my 2008 w211 but understand that I might need my comand firmware updated too.
I 'phoned my MB dealer who is saying that the cost of updating my firmware cost £160 and could take an hour. Surely that's way over the top.

Hiya! Could I ask what version the maps are please?

Usually you can just update by inserting the disc, the process is quite automated. HOWEVER, you might need a firmware update first, which means you might need to install a previous version installed first.

On my US W211 (2007) the navigation device is in the truck (oops, boot) on the left side behind a panel. You eject the existing Nav disk and insert the new one.
As I recall it was only one disc (sold car). You say you have two?

Just insert disc 1, whin its done you will get a message on screen asking for disc 2.

As usual, a lot of confusion and conflicting replies just because of the uncertainty about the car in question. The W211 changed from NTG1 COMAND to NTG2.5 from build date 06.2008 onwards.

NTG1 has one maps DVD and the Navi DVD drive is at the trunk (boot if you prefer). NTG2.5 has navi processor integrated to the head unit and has maps data stored an a hard drive. Two completely different systems.

Hi Steve and Sue,
The discs are NTG 2.5 version APS17 if that makes sense.
I'VE tried to put the disc in the CD slot but, it won't accept them.
I wonder if that is due to it being a 6 CD unit.

On my US W211 (2007) the navigation device is in the truck (oops, boot) on the left side behind a panel. You eject the existing Nav disk and insert the new one.
As I recall it was only one disc (sold car). You say you have two?

Yes I do.

As usual, a lot of confusion and conflicting replies just because of the uncertainty about the car in question. The W211 changed from NTG1 COMAND to NTG2.5 from build date 06.2008 onwards.

NTG1 has one maps DVD and the Navi DVD drive is at the trunk (boot if you prefer). NTG2.5 has navi processor integrated to the head unit and has maps data stored an a hard drive. Two completely different systems.
So, I have the 2.5 installed in my car.
Now the question is, how do I insert the discs when it won't allow me to ? Is it because it's a 6 CD autochanger ?

Well the CD player with its 6 cd capacity has nothing to do with your Sat Nav,the slot you want is just below the Sat Nav screen,when you insert the first disk make certain you have the car running,these updates can take some time,if you battery runs low the whole process may stop and then you have a problem.

Well the CD player with its 6 cd capacity has nothing to do with your Sat Nav,the slot you want is just below the Sat Nav screen,when you insert the first disk make certain you have the car running,these updates can take some time,if you battery runs low the whole process may stop and then you have a problem.
The 6 CD in dash is where I put my satnav discs to update it.

There are two variants of the NTG2.5.

One has a single built-in CD drive.

The other has a 6-CD built in changer.

Both look externally identical, apart from the graphics on the Eject button. The single-CD unit has a simple 'Eject' arrow, while the 6-CD unit has an image of a stack of CDs.

It won't let me put the disc in the CD slot.

I have the 6 CD changer and it can be a problem sometimes inserting CD's. I mainly use the HD (can be a faff copying stuff over!), SD and USB media cable for my music

If you are using copy disks, you risk writing the unit off if there is a read error at certain points (or just getting it completely stuck in Nav update mode) - as DVD-RW reflect light less well than "printed" DVDs they are more likely to give read errors.

If costs is the reason for trying to use copy disks, then my suggestion is look for some genuine ones that are a year out of date as they are much cheaper.

Cheers

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom