Sat Nav updates for a car that never had them during the 3 year free period?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k992061

Car
2011 C220 CDI Sport 125 Edition, 2016 GLC 220 AMG Line Premium
Hi All, am fairly new to the forum and to forums in general so hope me not finding the answer when i looked wasn't me looking in the wrong place!

I have today bought a w204 facelift 2011 c220 CDI and the maps for the sat nav are v.4 2011, it seems they were never updated. The car has had three services with MB main dealers and wondered whether there is any grounds for them to update software and maps while in the free 3 year period?

Worth asking for a good will gesture from MB even if it is for 2014 maps rather than the latest?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

As it's a facelift, so NTG4.5 rather than NTG4, you need a code from the MB Xentry system to install updates - which means MB main dealer or someone like Comand.co.uk.

Did you buy from an MB main dealer? If so, I'd go straight back there and insist they update the maps FOC. They won't be happy because it ties up a service bay for 2 1/2 hours, but if the MB main dealer who did the services did not update the maps then they are negligent, it should not cost you. Also as the car has been sold to you with full MB service history, it's seriously not as described as the updates should have been done with each service.

I suspect you may have a bit of a fight with the main dealer, but stick to your guns and if necessary involve MB Customer Service and head office in Milton Keynes.

Thanks for this Chris, I bought the car from a Mini dealer but all services were at the same dealer which is local to me so will give them a try and will let you know what happens!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Lucky you that the MB dealer that did the services is local to you - so you can give the Dealer Principle hell about not properly complying with the MB service schedule! that dealership should update your Comand satnav FOC!

The idea that map updates are carried out only with services is incorrect and only perpetuates because it is convenient for the dealer. Updates are a stand alone item and are implemented when they become available. The only updates that are performed at services are for vehicle functions. No one has been negligent at services if the maps have not been updated. You may well get a goodwill gesture but don't hold your breathe. Map updates can easily take the best part of a day to complete so two and a half hours might be a best case scenario.

We bought ours in Nov/Dec and asked the salesman if the maps had been updated (Car will be 3 yrs old in April) The car had just been serviced by them the previous week (and previous services done at the same dealership)
Salesman said maps would have been updated when the service was done.
I discovered after purchase that the maps are actually 2012/13 (V7.0) so hadn't been updated since the car was new.
E-mail to salesman and I have been told that they will take the car back when the new maps version is available (late Jan/Early Feb)

Hi Piff, that's gives me some hope so let's see what the guys at Epsom say when I call them tomorrow!

Just spoke to MB Epsom, I consider it a 75% good result, they will provide me with the latest mapping during the next service, alas my next service will probably be in September but at least it will be free.

Just spoke to MB Epsom, I consider it a 75% good result, they will provide me with the latest mapping during the next service, alas my next service will probably be in September but at least it will be free.

Don't get lost in the mean time:D

Will do my best, generally use Waze on my phone which I find to be brilliant backed up with Copilot!

Only copilot comes close with the much clearer junction navigation! But for traffic and routing Waze is incredible!

I kept the updating the maps on my COMAND NTG2.5, but even so I rarely use it this days - Waze all the way :thumb:

Where I still use COMAND on occasion is on motorways, the integration with the instrument cluster and the radio are great, but in town nothing beats Waze.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. My cars in today for a COMMAND update too. I asked them to do it when I took it in for a safety recall check but he said it takes 4 hours so rescheduled it.

When I dropped car off they were a bit funny, asking for reasons and suggesting they will only update if something is wrong (of which there is plenty...) I mentioned a few of the things and he seemed ok with it.

The annoying thing is that my lease company won't service the car at main dealers they only take to independents (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, although in my experience it has almost always been bad..) however stuff like the command wont get updated there.

Last edited:
How can someone tell if they have the latest maps installed or what version.
Can someone please tell me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom