Sat nav upgrades

Discussion in 'AMG Lounge' started by Oscar 473, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Oscar 473

Oscar 473 Member

Car:
    C63 ppp estate
    Hello

I have a pre face lift car with the Command system. The sat nav will only take the first 4 figures of the post code. I believe that the face lifted cars' sat nav can take full 7 figure post codes. Is it possible to uprate the old system to take full post codes?

Thanks

2. etharla

etharla Member

Car:
    C63 AMG
    Hi, I believe that only certain 7 digit postcodes are loaded. My postcode is 7 digits but whenever I load a remote postcode i.e in the countryside it only accepts the first 4 digits.
    I updated my maps with the 2015/16 maps and it's the same.
    I have the upgrade discs for sale on eBay if you're interested.

3. OP
    OP
    Oscar 473

Oscar 473 Member

Car:
    C63 ppp estate
    So, by just inserting your new disc, this will allow a pre facelift 4 digit flip up screen sat nav to accept and recognise 6 and 7 digit post codes without any other changes or up grades?

4. etharla

etharla Member

Car:
    C63 AMG
    I'll just double check again. It uploads all the maps to the 2015/16 version. I'm almost certain it allows you to enter the 7 digits. Give me an example of a postcode near to you and I'll check. I've done it on my pre facelift C63 using these discs.

5. etharla

etharla Member

Car:
    C63 AMG
    Sorry, it only accepts the first 5 digits and then I have to select the street.

6. DRIVER200

DRIVER200 Active Member

Car:
    C43 AMG Estate
    Would you not get Sat Nav updates FOC when your car receives its annual service or perhaps for a small charge? That's assuming MB actually do anything for a small charge, LOL.

7. OP
    OP
    Oscar 473

Oscar 473 Member

Car:
    C63 ppp estate
    I suspect that the system needs updating, not just the software, but I don't know.

8. ash59fifty-uk

ash59fifty-uk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C63, Ford Transit
    Included in a certain period from new. So yes, in your case, you'll be fine.

After that they moan, when technically should be done at a service anyway but ties the bay up for a few hours so they don't like it

9. OP
    OP
    Oscar 473

Oscar 473 Member

Car:
    C63 ppp estate
    So is it possible to update the older flip up screen system in the pre facelift cars to full post code just by a software update at the dealers?

10. JattAmg

JattAmg Active Member

Car:
    Sl65
    No.

11. OP
    OP
    Oscar 473

Oscar 473 Member

Car:
    C63 ppp estate
    Thanks.

Do you know if it is possible to fit a facelift car's command unit to an earlier car and will this give full post code compatibility?

12. Chrishazle

Chrishazle MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 Auto.
    IMHO you're talking about fitting a post facelift W204 Comand NTG 4.5 to a pre facelift W204 with NTG 4. I asked Comandonline about this when I bought my 2008 pre facelift S204, and was told it could be done, but involves a new dashboard (replacing the flip-up screen with the tablet-type screen blu-tacked to the dash) as well as Comand, and would cost over £2k.

I've learnt how to use the system (which is 5 digit entry - but it counts the space as 1 of these!) as the least costly other option is a Tom Tom Go 6100!!

13. OP
    OP
    Oscar 473

Oscar 473 Member

Car:
    C63 ppp estate
    Thanks for this.

I didn't know if you could just fit a new Command head unit and link it to the old flip up screen.

I suspected this couldn't be done, but you never know!

Would you recommend the Tom Tom 6100?

Thanks again

14. etharla

etharla Member

Car:
    C63 AMG

I think the updates on the maps work great. I'm sure if you know the postcode you could just enter the street name too??

15. OP
    OP
    Oscar 473

Oscar 473 Member

Car:
    C63 ppp estate
    You can but I was just curious if you could upgrade to make things even easier.

16. Alfie

Alfie Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    W169 A, W205 C, W451 smart
    This means you have a pre-facelifted car so the free map update period will have expired by now.

17. Chrishazle

Chrishazle MB Enthusiast

Car:
    However, being pre facelift thus NTG4 means genuine MB DVD's are re-useable, so you can buy second hand DVD's from Ebay or sometimes even on here/t'other side, install the update then sell the DVD's on! Can't do that with facelift NTG4.5!

Do I recommend the Tom Tom 6100 - yes and no! I have the 6000 which has free map updates (full Europe) for life but the speed camera was a 3 month trial. I believe they now give them for life as well. I find their online route planning awkward (and a subject of much complaint on their forum), and even if you plan and save a route, when you come to use it, it seems to re-calculate rather than use exactly what you saved!

18. etharla

etharla Member

Car:
    C63 AMG

Your first comment is exactly what I'm trying to say. I bought the genuine MB discs and I have them for sale on eBay. I just took a hit on the purchase price.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  19. Chrishazle

Chrishazle MB Enthusiast

Car:
    You also have to be aware that early 204 Comands have a smaller HDD than later ones - IIRC the change came around build date late 2008. The latest NTG4 updates are too big for the early HDD so the update starts then stalls at about 96%, Alfie posted about this on another thread. My 204, first registered July 2008, has the smaller HDD so IIRC V12 is the most recent I can install.

Tags: