Sat Nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shadow81

Car
2007 C220 CDI Elegance (W204)
Hi all... I tested out the Sat Nav on my C220 yesterday for the first time. I found it to be really quiet, and with the radio on at a reasonable volume I cannot really hear the commands.

I cant find anywhere to adjust satnav volume - can anyone tell me where I might find such settings?

Also, shouldn't it dim the audio source (radio/cd/mem card/ipod/aux etc...) whilst it gives you instructions, like a TomTom with a docking kit does? :dk:

I have the HDD Navigation if that makes any difference?

I just want to be sure before going to my MB dealer and moan about this... Thanks in advance!

It is all in your Comand manual, to increase spoken volume turn the volume control louder when an instruction is being spoken. It is save the level you set it to for the fututre. To dim the audio source when an instruction is being spoken you need to enable this option on Comand via the settings.

I didnt receive a comand manual - is it possible to download in pdf or should I go back to the dealer and request one (this was a used not brand new car)?

Thanks for the help though, I will play about with this later :)

Would ask the dealer for one if it was bought from a main dealer.

You can download one for now from: Mercedes online manuals Your Comand model is NTG4.

Last edited:
I will phone the dealer at lunch and request one. Thanks for the link, that is very helpful, I'll have a read through the satnav settings now :)

To increase or decrease the speakers volume. You do this with the + & - buttons on the steering wheel. This will only work by pressing the required button at the same time the instructions are being given. I hope this is clear.

You can use the volume control on the Comand unit or the steering controls, both will adjust the navigation volume.

on my w211 with command;
when you adjust the volume, (on the steering wheel or the command unit) it will adjust volume for the activity in progress... i.e. if the music is playing it will adjust that. if the pretty lady is giving you directions; she gets louder/ softer.

you can also prompt her to speak by pressing the appropriate button on the command; and adjust the volume then... (it's the button with an ear icon and sound waves )
other useful features are- going into the sat nav settings through the command and setting the 'volume reduction' for music when directions are being given. you can also adjust the speech qualities by using the treble, bass and fader options from the same menus.

on my w211 with command;
when you adjust the volume, (on the steering wheel or the command unit) it will adjust volume for the activity in progress... i.e. if the music is playing it will adjust that. if the pretty lady is giving you directions; she gets louder/ softer.

you can also prompt her to speak by pressing the appropriate button on the command; and adjust the volume then... (it's the button with an ear icon and sound waves )
other useful features are- going into the sat nav settings through the command and setting the 'volume reduction' for music when directions are being given. you can also adjust the speech qualities by using the treble, bass and fader options from the same menus.

Thanks again for all the replies. Have managed to get her to speak up a bit now thanks to all the help, lol. But...

I don't seem to have the "Volume Reduction" feature anywehre?! Anybody know how I can find this?

Thanks

when it's in sat nav mode... touch one of the soft buttons (on the sides of the screen) this will show up the available button choices and you should be able to select settings (or something like that)... and find the option for sound/ volume reduction. this reduces ambient volume (music etc) for when the sat nav voice speaks.
personally; i don't use this as if i'm enjoying the music; it only gets spoilt by the sat nav muting it; i just adjust the sat nav volume so i can hear it inspite of the music.

I don't seem to have the "Volume Reduction" feature anywehre?! Anybody know how I can find this?
when it's in sat nav mode... touch one of the soft buttons (on the sides of the screen)
No soft buttons on the W204 NTG4, I'm afraid.

Here's what to do:
  1. Select Navigation mode
  2. Select the "Navi" sub-menu from the top row of options
  3. In the menu window that opens, scroll down to "Audio fadeout"
  4. The tick mark toggles on and off as you press the rotary controller on the centre console
  5. Press the return key (next to the rotary controller) to close the menu
The fadeout is actually intelligent in that it only partially mutes the music source if it's playing loud enough to make the voice instruction hard to hear; otherwise it doesn't fade the audio.

HTH...

Hey St13phil,

I have been through the menu as you suggested, and I dont have the option to choose Audio Fadeout. It simply isn't there.

I have already bought the latest sat nav software from the dealer and installed it last night.

I suspect it's maybe a COMAND update? But my dealer has no idea about COMAND updates, they tell me they dont exist! First they tried to sell me another copy of the maps, but then I explained it wasn't a satnav update, but a firmware update for the entire COMAND system (Im sure I saw another post in which Alfie states he has the March 2011 update for W204).

Looking at Comand-Online there is not an update listed there for W204 though... They said if I can get back to them with a part number for the latest update then they could look into it, but as far as they can see the ONLY update for my car is the map update!

At first, they even tried to tell me that my car doesn't have COMAND according to their database (which it very clearly does) - yet Comand-Online are able to see what I actually do have when I gave them my VIN... so very strange!

So yeah, does anybody know the code or part number for what I believe is called a Telematics update for my car please??!!

why not give command online a call/ or message Alfie/ Richard on here; they are very knowledgeable and helpful. perhaps you can get a manual from them as well?

Cant use PM's yet, post count is too low. I have asked my dealer for a COMAND manual, they are going to order one and send it for free. Ive had a look at a pdf one but it doesnt seem to have it in there. :(

I'll try and find a part number or some sort of reference number online - Im sure it must be somewhere...

Hi Shadow, let me know if you find an update as I have the w204 Comand, I dont even know if I need a map update never mind firmware as its not easy to find out

Cheers

NRG220

Hi Shadow, let me know if you find an update as I have the w204 Comand, I dont even know if I need a map update never mind firmware as its not easy to find out

Cheers

NRG220

Yours would be COMAND NTG4 with built-in hard disk drive. The maps update involves copying the latest maps DVD onto the internal hard disk drive (a slow process which can take a couple of hours to complete).

If the car is still under warranty, your best bet would be to contact your MB dealer, as some map updates are free on some models, and the dealer will also update the firmware on the unit if required.

Alternatively, contact Alfie and Richard from Comand Online Ltd for advice.

See also:

Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: Mercedes Navigation Disks :: Comand APS Map DVD Europe 2011 (V8.0) for NTG4-W204 in C, GLK & SLS Class.

MB P/N A204 827 76 59

Cheers

NRG220

Im going to show the link in the previous post to my dealer and hope they can work it out from there... Failing that i may have to find the nearest place that does!

Can map update dvds be re-used? I would be willing to sell mine cheaper than I paid if they can? Surely I would never need them again?

Is it possible to erase the maps and fresh install from a map update dvd too? Fresh install is always better than update with most things... Dont see why maps would be any different.

Alfie / Richard from comand.co.uk based in Surrey can do the firmware update for you but there is no reason why your dealer cant. The person you spoke to is obviously clueless try speaking directly to a service manager (or another one if you did) or try another local dealer.

Once you have updated your maps you can sell the discs on. The maps just update, you cant erase them, not without STAR anyway.

I'll ring them on Monday, and ask again - I tried today but Service is only open Mon-Fri.. seems daft as Im at work all of those days!

Cool, thanks for that - I'll start a post later on offering my update DVDs for sale in that case :) I wasn't sure if they would only work for one update only or not.

Unless you would like them at a discounted price NRG220 prior to me posting them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom