Sat Nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zipdip

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
s320
Hi not a tech question but I will need to update my sat nav now it may well take a up to a hour,and it is advised that I have the engine running,my question is I suppose a simple one,can I drive while the sat nav updates,I know where I am going so no need for the sat nav,looked on the net and loads of how to posts but cannot find out if driving while the update takes place is a good thing.

I've updated 2 cars now . took about 15 minutes and didn't have engine running.

The time it takes differs from model to model. The older ones (e.g. NTG2.5 etc) can take a couple of hours, and obviously keeping the ignition and COMAND unit switched on for the duration will eventually run down the battery.

The options are:

Keep the engine running

or

Switch-off the engine, and use a trickle-charger to keep the battery topped-up during the maps update process (this is what dealers do)

or

Update the maps while driving (but of course you won't be able to use the Navi function while the maps are being updated).

Also, if you arrived at your detination before the maps update is complete, the update will suspend while the car is parked-up, and then continue when you start your next journey.

Ok so it is start the update and take a early drive tomorrow missing any major traffic hold ups,need to drive to Cambridge so at least 1 hour 45 mins.

Audio may also be out as the system focuses on updating (and restarting) though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom