Satellite Dishes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_b

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250CDI (C320CDI & SLK350, Sold) & the Trusty Citigo
We recieve freeview (rubbish, the bare minimum of channels).

We also have just got freesat, which appears to receive about half the channels it is supposed to - probably due to the elderly, rusty and wobbly satellite dish.

So, I need to replace the satellite dish, I guess.

Couple of questions - Do I need to get someone to do it for me? And can one dish do more than 1 tv - is the cable the same as TV ariel cable? I know I'll need a freesat box/TV.

I spoke to a neighbour, who confused me completely - dishes, LNMs, rewiring, switching, iphones and SKY.

Help!

We recieve freeview (rubbish, the bare minimum of channels).

We also have just got freesat, which appears to receive about half the channels it is supposed to - probably due to the elderly, rusty and wobbly satellite dish.

So, I need to replace the satellite dish, I guess.

Couple of questions - Do I need to get someone to do it for me? And can one dish do more than 1 tv - is the cable the same as TV ariel cable? I know I'll need a freesat box/TV.

I spoke to a neighbour, who confused me completely - dishes, LNMs, rewiring, switching, iphones and SKY.

Help!

I would go for a sky dish second hand and then get someone to install it with a lnb big enough for all the rooms that have tvs and use Satelite cable, you can pick up boxs really cheap I have 4 sitting in the shed if you want them. Can't help you with what you have and what your trying to do.

Hi Colin,

I have multiroom sky HD plus 2 tv's with a freesat tuner built in all fed off one satelite dish. It's an old mesh type one that's been there for at least 12 years.

Self installed the extras and used normal co ax from B&Q. What you will need is an upgraded LNB which is the bit that collects/ has the signal focus from the dish, I have a octo or 8 out LNB bought online have a google...

No issues so far and it's been in about a year.

Regards
Mark

The gain of the aerial is largely dependent on size. I would suggest a full size dish of about 80-90 cms diameter. This is a bit of overkill for the South of England but gives a bit of extra performance for inclement weather. In essence you need an LNB per TV/ or digital recorder if you want completely "independent viewing" on each set/recorder However multiple LNB's in one package are available for little money to achieve this . Trouble is you need to run a co-axial cable to each one. [ there are devices that will obviate the need for that and multi core cables ] but if you are running a new cable anyway running three single cores or a couple of twin co-axials [ to a quad LNB say] together is not that bad especially if they are going to diverge to different rooms anyway. Satellite cable is of superior quality to ordinary co-axial TV stuff.[ core material/shielding/ insulation] but its more expensive There's a wide quality of gear out there but I like the Hirschmann cables. The Germans are big on cable TV. :thumb: DISH/ LNB/ CABLE are not the things to skimp on . Set top boxes can come and go but your aerial system should be built for the long term IMHO. This is just one site that supplies equipment there are many others. Satellite dishes and satellite receivers at low prices. Multiswitches and LNBs. Big discounts at the Satellite Superstore UK. This is a good explanatory website. Free to Air/Freesat Installation Guide

Excellent, thanks for the pointers and advice. I am now wiser:)

Cheers,

Colin.

And following that excellent advice, I now have a fully functioning and new slightly larger dish, together with new cabling.

The Boss declares herself happy, and I get a pat on the head and a reminder about the other outstanding jobs:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom