Satellite Telly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
We want to get English telly - freeview, not subscription - when we're at our place in France (I know, I know....)

What do I need?

What sort of dish do I want?
What box-thing do I need?
What's an LNB and how many do I need?
Do I want some watts?
Probably don't want any tweeters though, do I?

Seriously though, I have no idea what I'm doing (story of my life), so please don't be too technical. Proposing buying second-hand stuff on Ebay, unless somebody knows aonother source, but I'm clueless.

TIA

PJ

sparkyspost said:
Don't know if you can do the satelite freeview without having to pay a monthly subscription.

I know you can, or at least I thin you can.... That's not really important; we just want the 'terrestrial' channels really. We don't want films, cartoons, decorating, quiz shows or bloody football, and we definitely don;t want to pay a subscriptions for them.

PJ

standard free-to-view box should work in france m8

SilverSaloon said:
standard free-to-view box should work in france m8

Connected to what? Telly at one end, and dish at the other? If so, what do I need (apart from teh telly, which I've got)?

Thanks

PJ

That might do the trick....

Somebody said to me I need to buy a Sky Digital box, off Ebay, with a non-subscription card or something. What's that about?

Looking at the Maplin box, that should definitely be everything you need.

I believe it's possible with a second hand Sky box, but I recall reading somewhere that there was an issue with Sky digital boxes working in some parts of Europe (not sure if the issue was with subscription channels as that would make sense, there would be legal implications as regard to what they can show in which country).

I'd stick with buying a new system like this, surely it's less hassle, maybe someone else on here has used this before, or perhaps worth asking Maplin directly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom