Satnav accuracy vs Google

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercdad

Car
Mercedes GLE
What do members believe to be more accurate and up to date . Mercedes or Google? having compare dthem on my new car, there is a difference on on diversions and also traffic congestion...

I think it depends on which your cars has, but some use TomTom data, etc some, like the becker systems just say "third party" map/traffic data. It'll likely say in the manual for your GPS system as they'll have to for licensing.

Also the built in maps are updated periodically, whenever you update the card, download the updates, etc. Google Maps is updated in real time, even "offline" maps expire and have to be redownloaded regularly. Traffic data is always live though. It updates regularly on my commute and offers a faster way if some numpty as checked a text while tailgating on the M60 and caused a 5 car pile up.

Last edited:
As mentioned some MB systems use TomTom Live data, some rely on the radio TPS system which only really gives major delays.

Tom Tom use live traffic data from the Smartnav road side traffic detectors, it's the best live traffic data system on the market.

They also use traffic data from Eddie Stobbart vehicles as well as other large haulage companies.

The Smartnav traffic detectors are the blue camera like devices that can sometimes be seen at the roadside..........

Google without a doubt, being able to type something in without knowing the address (just like a basic normal Google web search) and it's everything in one go

We survey a lot of water treatment property which can be a pipe flange in someone's back garden in Bristol to the middle of a farmers field in Nanpantan, to the easier found treatment sites viewable on Google Earth, it just rarely lets me down. Once infact...

Many cheeky diversions like coming off a junction and re-entering the motorway ahead with accurate ETA's within a few seconds, it's brilliant

I-conica, how do they get accurate jam times? I presume it's from each Google user using maps but do you also think they grab data from people's phones in general? Gprs movements/speeds etc, it literally is so accurate

Windwalker said:
Give Waze a try, I find it very accurate and the more people that use it the better it gets.

I tried Waze, Scout app blows it out the park

I don't have full knowledge of google, but COMAND

1. audio turn instructions sometimes too late, given AFTER i've turned

2. turn instructions don't always relate to the junctions approaching but perhaps 1 mile ahead (so take next left IS NOT THE NEXT LEFT APPROACHING but the next left on a special white dot marker on the map, and it's harder work to pin point the white dots)

3. the huge screen on the centre console doesn't issue useful visual 'what to do next instructions' like 3.5 miles to to the next turn. (so you need to activate this feature on the instrument cluster display which then robs you of any other information like trip, that could be displayed here instead)
Google has this nicely articulated on a much smaller screen.

4. On traffic recalculations it doesn't indicate what time you will save by taking the new suggested route

5. the estimated time is way too optimistic, and Google I know is far more accurate/realistic

6. the COMAND 'prepare to turn half left' is confusing at first, but once accustomed to it, is not so bad, but lingers as an annoyance.

7. complex multi-lane junctions aren't well presented and are tiny arrows at the bottom of the screen rather than rendered on the main display.

8. no camera aware warnings

9. no breech of speed limit warnings 'please slow down' type message (though appreciate not everyone wants this, but for those that do it's not there).

10. there is no hand off to mobile device for the final mile walking instructions (Google can probably do this)

11. no destination weather conditions

12. no nearest parking, nearest fuel station (when programming address)

13. can't send current location / journey progress to others

14. no trip log, route on map, travel distance, time, average speed for days travelled

15. no list of traffic events/conditions/accidents/roadworks on route with estimated time delays and average speed for each event

16. These might exist, but I haven't noticed.... would be nice if there are one press quick keys to locate nearest carpark/petrol station/hotel based on your current location (so if you are driving and want to park, you hit the 'car park' button and directs you to the nearest car park rather than having to programme it in (and find the nearest one while your location is changing as you are driving).

I've found traffic accuracy to be OK.

With Google maps the traffic is sometimes over reported as congested when it is free flowing.

Some are just nice to haves.

I-conica, how do they get accurate jam times? I presume it's from each Google user using maps but do you also think they grab data from people's phones in general? Gprs movements/speeds etc, it literally is so accurate

With Android, it's monitoring your location constantly, and likely using that info too. With iPhones, the location sharing is much stricter, so the app can have access to your location only while you're using the app, or can be changed to have access at all times, although I doubt it'd gather and report data when you're not using it, as iOS is much stricter about background apps using energy, so it'd likely be suspended until you relaunch the app.

Every user, whether it's Android, iOS or others, using Google Maps is sharing their location with Google, that's the crowdsourced bit. If you're stationary on the M62, you've broken down. If many people are stationary on the M62, knows there's major congestion. If everyone's crawling at 20 mph, it's moderate, etc.

As for telling you how long it'll take you to get through the congestion, it's learned from previous times.

If you go to google maps in a browser, you can type a starting point and destination, and tell it when you want to leave. If you tell it 8am a week on tuesday, it'll look for what 8am on a tuesday is typically like for that journey and advise you of traffic times.

i-CONICA said:
If you go to google maps in a browser, you can type a starting point and destination, and tell it when you want to leave. If you tell it 8am a week on tuesday, it'll look for what 8am on a tuesday is typically like for that journey and advise you of traffic times.

That's solved a huge problem for me, I'll often get my jobs in the calendar for the next day late at night, I'll type the location into maps and get I.e 1.5hr travel time, so I'll set off at half six the next morning only for it to say 2hrs :eek:

This will help me loads :thumb:

Only thing I'd love Google maps to have, is speed limits. I did use Scout, which is pretty damn good. No internet/signal needed etc, but just not as accurate as Google. Although since having the RAC advanced frackers fitted to our work vehicles I'm more observant for the limits in unknown places

I use HERE.....hasn't let me down....tells me about speed limits..fixed cameras and route guidance is pretty spot on.....only piss*r is when I turn off the specified route...lovely lady keeps telling me to take the next right turn and proceed forward :D
Mind you...I usually know where I'm going anyway :thumb:

Last edited:
I find comand just bizarre, the BMW nav in the X3 uses RTTI and the routes and arrival times are spot on.

Last night comand wanted to take me out from Embankment to Norfolk down through the Rotherhide Tunnel, out to the M25 passed Bexleyheath and then up through the dartford tunnel to join the M11. This was 128 miles and 2h35mins.

I went passed the isle of dogs, up the a406 for 5 miles and joined the M11, was home in 1h40 mins. Waze said up through the city and out and 1h55 mins.

Google all day long. Googles traffic is live data, they monitor the speed at which android phones are moving. Very clever.

My Becker unit is not accurate on arrival times. However on everything else it is 'kin **** !

The rerouting due to obstructions is exceptionally good ( crucial for an M1 users)

Hi UUMODE,

Bit late to the party with this thread, but I’m a poor relation with only the Garmin Sat Nav. I’ve been interested in knowing more about the differences with the COMAND system from a Sat Nav perspective (the dealer tried to get me to upgrade to COMAND when I purchased the car but I was not convinced by what he said), and from what you have posted I may not be missing very much.
I’m relatively new to Mercedes so forgive me if I have not fully understood your points. Not trying to point score, just trying to understand the differences so that when I replace the Mercedes I am better informed over whether to spec COMAND or not.

1. audio turn instructions sometimes too late, given AFTER i've turned
Yes, instructions can be late but not had it happened after I have turned. A more serious problem is that the maps are meant to be 2016 but are WAY out of date.
2. turn instructions don't always relate to the junctions approaching but perhaps 1 mile ahead (so take next left IS NOT THE NEXT LEFT APPROACHING but the next left on a special white dot marker on the map, and it's harder work to pin point the white dots)
Not experienced that
3. the huge screen on the centre console doesn't issue useful visual 'what to do next instructions' like 3.5 miles to to the next turn. (so you need to activate this feature on the instrument cluster display which then robs you of any other information like trip, that could be displayed here instead)
Google has this nicely articulated on a much smaller screen.
Garmin has symbol top left of main screen showing a graphic representation of next manoeuvre and distance to run. Also Live Traffic shows an icon top left if traffic issues (eg roadworks) will be encountered on route and distance to run.
4. On traffic recalculations it doesn't indicate what time you will save by taking the new suggested route
Same
5. the estimated time is way too optimistic, and Google I know is far more accurate/realistic
Not experienced any accuracy problems. In fact I've been very impressed with the estimates of arrival times (usually within 2 minutes)
6. the COMAND 'prepare to turn half left' is confusing at first, but once accustomed to it, is not so bad, but lingers as an annoyance.
Not experienced that
7. complex multi-lane junctions aren't well presented and are tiny arrows at the bottom of the screen rather than rendered on the main display.
Garmin (at least for motorway junctions) displays junction in split screen with lane guidance
8. no camera aware warnings
Same
9. no breech of speed limit warnings 'please slow down' type message (though appreciate not everyone wants this, but for those that do it's not there).
Garmin shows current speed limit (if known) and also current actual speed. The latter flashes red if you are exceeding the limit
10. there is no hand off to mobile device for the final mile walking instructions (Google can probably do this)
Same
11. no destination weather conditions
Same
12. no nearest parking, nearest fuel station (when programming address)
Doesn’t the points of interest show these via icons on screen? My issue is that I want turn them off but cannnot !!
13. can't send current location / journey progress to others
Same
14. no trip log, route on map, travel distance, time, average speed for days travelled
Not sure what you mean by this
15. no list of traffic events/conditions/accidents/roadworks on route with estimated time delays and average speed for each event
Doesn’t Live Traffic from Tom Tom display that information? There is an option to hear traffic ahead, and individual events show expected time delay.
16. These might exist, but I haven't noticed.... would be nice if there are one press quick keys to locate nearest carpark/petrol station/hotel based on your current location (so if you are driving and want to park, you hit the 'car park' button and directs you to the nearest car park rather than having to programme it in (and find the nearest one while your location is changing as you are driving).
See 12

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm getting confused here but if my built in sat nav is "command" it most certainly does have overspeed warnings.

My built in nag :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom