Satnav question on w205

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iliria

Car
W205 C200 Sport petrol (67)
Being a long term user of TomTom I have straight away noticed some annoyances of the Garmin system. To start with everytime I enter the postcode instead of getting on with calculating the route and starting, Garmin tells me to start driving so that route can be calculated and shown. A right PITA especally when you are somewhere where you dont know which way you should go.

The other annoying thing is that Garmin does not include a speed (or other traffic) camera warning system. Good old Tom used to beep without fail every time I got near one. Is there a way of loading camera warning system on the SD card? Which would work and not cause any software issues in the car?

And the last question is if I can change the voice volume so that it doesnt sound like it is set up for a partially deaf person?

Right, I have sorted out the volume issue. I have also been on the phone to Garmin but unfortunately they do not deal with MB satnavs. The guy kindly provided me with a link to load the Garmin Mercedes Benz download manager. I followed the link but sadly it doesnt work. I would like to purchase the speed camera notification package to add to my satnav but I'm not sure how to do this. Can someone kindly please point me out in the right direction please?

I have written many long and detailed threads on here and PGPSW forums about the sorry state of the Garmin sat navs.
You can load cameras, you will get a few bongs on approach, you will not get any icons, and it misses as many cameras as it alerts you to.
It's garbage I'm afraid.

I am in contact with MB CRC and they are 'working on it'. Sadly though they have been for the last 18 months.....

What are you trying to load via the download manager?
That's is only used for actual software updates. For cameras you need Garmins POILoader software, or any .csv to .gpi converter.

Link to one of the threads. A more detailed one can be found on PGPSW.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/186583-w205-garmin-satnav-camera-installation.html

I just use my good old Tom Tom Go 750 with the PGPS camera data base . The W205 Audio 20 radio is rubbish too!

Has anyone had issues using the voice commands after upgrading to latest maps? I upgraded yesterday and could not use voice command such as find place or address entry as it kept saying the language is not supported. Rolled back to previous version and everything working again

There are many issues.
Have you checked your traffic subscriptions?
You may find they have been deleted too.

Dealers have been told to cease all further diagnostic and repair activity on the sat nav system while MB re hash the whole thing.

Thank you for all the replies guys. In respect to the radio I have found it to be just as rubbish but thankfully I only listen to 2 channels, and even them not that often so it doesnt bother me.

However when it comes to the satnav it is very important to me. First because I belong to the SatNav generation and secondly because I have only used TomTom in the past which I have to say is fantastic.

I cant tell you how much I despise the sluggish, rubbish Garmin that MB have chosen to go with in their cars. It's the only disappointing thing in my car. It looks like the best thing I shoud do at this time is to run iPhone Maps or Google Maps or even get TomTom for iPhone.

Which leads me to the next question. Does there exist an iPhone holder which clips the iPhone over the cars onboard screen or even on the bit that sticks out behind the steering wheel? That way the iPhone can be located eith over the central console screen or just above and behind the steering wheel.

I can't even access traffic subscriptions - just says no available subscriptions.

Internet not working and apps not loading. Can I not book something with mb to resolve this?

That's the fault.
They are there on the card, but the new software doesn't recognise them.
Please call the customer service line and raise a case, make sure you get a reference number.
The more that do, the quicker it might get sorted. I've been waiting a year.....
:-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom