Satnav shootout ... who will get home quicker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Surely the RTTI on Tom Tom uses data as well? It hooks to your phone.

The newer ones with 'Live' services (traffic, speed cameras, weather, places) use their own internal sim and aren't linked to your phone at all. You also get free lifetime maps (4 per year) - maps and speed cameras were both subscription services on my old one.

I paid £239 for the new one and that's it for life. No ongoing costs at all :thumb:

I find Waze takes you down all sorts of roads to save even a couple of mins (when I last used it a year ago), Google Maps seems to have a good balance between ease of route vs detouring due to traffic, I believe Waze feeds data into Google maps in any case.

Waze 'learns' from routes and short-cuts frequently taken by other drivers. So you effectively get the 'minicab' drivers' route using all sorts of short-cuts that would otherwise require local knowledge.

The difference between this and simply choosing the 'shortest route' option on a standard SatNav is that because Waze relies on other drivers' behaviour it won't take you down one-way streets or dirt roads, which has happened to me both on the Merc and on a BMW when choosing 'shortest route'.

With Waze, I know that when it offers a route or a short-cut, it will be one frequently taken by other drivers, so a safe bet.

The obvious downside of Waze is that this 'crowd sourcing' method will only work well in areas where there are quite a few Waze users - but luckily it has picked-up in recent years so most locations are well covered.

The newer ones with 'Live' services (traffic, speed cameras, weather, places) use their own internal sim and aren't linked to your phone at all. You also get free lifetime maps (4 per year) - maps and speed cameras were both subscription services on my old one.

I paid £239 for the new one and that's it for life. No ongoing costs at all :thumb:

They do one that uses data from your phone for £100 less.

It would take me around 10 years to use £100 of traffic data. But is nice knowing that it is all bought and paid for.

TomTom Traffic Live is also available as subscription-based service for COMAND.... but only for cars built from 2014 onwards (sadly my car is a 2013 model :( )

This is quite interesting. My car is a 2013 - but in the satnav, if you click on traffic and 'check subscriptions' it says that it does use TomTom Traffic Live (but that the subscription ran out in March).
I'm not sure what NTG version it has (can I check that somehow). But it does use my phone for a data connection if I try to do anything web-based with it.

The Me website also reckons my car is compatible, and offers a 3 year Traffic Live subscription for £89.

This is quite interesting. My car is a 2013 - but in the satnav, if you click on traffic and 'check subscriptions' it says that it does use TomTom Traffic Live (but that the subscription ran out in March).
I'm not sure what NTG version it has (can I check that somehow). But it does use my phone for a data connection if I try to do anything web-based with it.

The Me website also reckons my car is compatible, and offers a 3 year Traffic Live subscription for £89.

This is odd - I just replied to your other thread - I assumed that your 2013 car will not have a factory-fitted comm module.

However - if it does have that fitted - then you should be able to have all of the online services including TomTom Traffic Live.

Do you know the actual Delivery Date of your car?

PS- C63 2013 will have COMAND NTG4.5.

Also - you say that the subscription ran out in March - is that March 2017?

The original subscription period was 3 years, so if the subscription was never renewed, then it would seem that your car was actually delivered on March 2014.... and is therefore not a 2013 model?

If you PM me the VIN I can pull the DataCard for it.

Digital service report says first registered 3rd September 2013. Perhaps it changed over half way through the year?

Digital service report says first registered 3rd September 2013. Perhaps it changed over half way through the year?

As far as I know the comm modules were first fitted to cars made on or after 1st September 2013. So looks like you're in luck mate :thumb:

Sadly my care was made on 1st March 2013.... so no comm module and TomTom subscription :(

Well I've sent you my VIN in case it sheds any light.

But I'm not sure I have a comms module, otherwise why would it be using my phone?

Is it possible there was a short period of time during which they produced cars at a kind of halfway house? i.e. no comms module, but the TomTom Live enabled (albeit through your phone's data)?

Well I've sent you my VIN in case it sheds any light.

But I'm not sure I have a comms module, otherwise why would it be using my phone?

Is it possible there was a short period of time during which they produced cars at a kind of halfway house? i.e. no comms module, but the TomTom Live enabled (albeit through your phone's data)?

Tom Tom traffic data is feed with traffic news from the Smartnav system where you see roadside blue 'cameras', it's also fed from live traffic data from large fleets of vehicle data such as Stobbart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom