SatNav Software - Expensive Error ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk270

Car
Was W203 270CDI A'garde, Was CLK270CDi A'garde, Current Porsche BoxsterS, Mini SDAll4
A word of warning, hopefully to prevent anyone else having the same problem.

Fully drained the battery on my iPaQ today, which runs my Navman GPS

No problem me thinks - just reload the software :D

All was well until a few minutes into the install, and perhaps the first time the disc was up to full speed a high pitched screech from the CD drive :eek: . Worried what happened I (in hindsight ) foolishly stopped the install and found a nice 5mm scrape round the circumference of my software CD.

Hmm me thinks - better get a copy quick :) , but alas too late :mad:

Disc will not run, copy or install on either my CDRW or DVD drives

Marvellous - no GPS and knackered software. Have emailed Navman, who will hopefully be very polite and send me a replacement at low cost (ie free )

So to all those with similar systems (Navman / TomTom etc) - a word of advice - copy the discs if you haven't done so already !

I've got a copy of NavMan I dont use any more due to useing TomTom now if its of help...

I have a copy too if you need it.

My iPAQ battery seems knackered and if I don't charge it at least once a week it looses everything which is a real pain. At least I have a backup image so its easy to reload.

RichardM said:
I have a copy too if you need it.

My iPAQ battery seems knackered and if I don't charge it at least once a week it looses everything which is a real pain. .

Dont get these problems with comand :D

No, just a flat car battery and a system that crashes a lot!

Maybe, but i've got £1600 in my pocket - can't take comand in the company car, and won't get £2k extra come trade in either.

If comand uses a CD for the maps then this can get scraped jut the same !

OK guys, update as of this evening

Emailed Navman European support (the brian.swan email address given on Navman.co.uk website for technical support) last Monday. No reply

Forwarded that email to Australia support earlier today - be interesting to see their reply :rolleyes:

Earlier today spoke to one of the Navman dealers in the UK, who gave me the telephone number for Navman UK office - got recorded message saying office was no longer available !!.

Also, several dealers have told me that each disc is encoded with the serial/product key, which means only one copy can be registered at a time !!

Anyway, thinking 'd got nothing to lose, bought a CD repair device, the SkipDr one, that rotates and abrades the surface with a rubber type polishing wheel.

Didn't take the scrape out right at the edge, but I was able to copy the CD to another CDR successfully. :bannana:

CD repair kit cost £30 :eek: , but damn sight cheaper than replacement software. And it also recovered an audio CD which I could only play 2/3rds of without skipping.

Also, there is a new version now available (v2.0) with post code mapping (a la TomTom) - I was quoted ''approx £100''

Thanks to RichardM and V8ML for their offers of help - much appreciated although I'm not sure your copies would have worked anyway ?

Seems strange they would encode each cd when they have a pretty strict licensing system anyway. I've thought it strange they've never offered any form of upgrade since I got mine, and was becoming disappointed with NavMan. If they had written to me when the new version came out I probably would have bought it!

RichardM said:
Seems strange they would encode each cd when they have a pretty strict licensing system anyway. I've thought it strange they've never offered any form of upgrade since I got mine, and was becoming disappointed with NavMan. If they had written to me when the new version came out I probably would have bought it!

There is an update available from www.navmansupport.com in the form of a service pack 2 download - this improves satellite performance and faster rerouting - make a big difference

The new software is SmartST Professional V2.0 - I think the post coding is the only advantage - the rest is probably contained in the service pack update anyway.

I did install that when it came out, seems a long time ago now and the maps are getting out of date. It would be good if they bought out a new fancy version we could upgrade to (even at a cost). Their staff must have been working on something for the last couple of years.

Had email from Navman UK today - they're sending me replacement software discs :D :D

They also said this about the updated software :

"The Smart ST V2 upgrade is available from: www.handnav.co.uk for a discounted price of £139 incl VAT. This will include updated maps, as well as 3D navigation, post code referencing, avoid areas and contact integration"

Must be my lucky day - MB just sanctioned a full wheel alignment ( and probably the castor bolts replacement) on my CLK for the well known 'camber sensitivity' problem - last week they wanted £225 +VAT ! :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom