SatNav Software Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BMF

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C220 (W205) 2015 Bluetec Sport Premium Plus
I have just emailed my local MB dealership Customer Service team at Exeter and asked them about an update for the software on my satnav to the latest version as it currently has the original version it left the factory with. It was originally an MB fleet services vehicle from new and the Data Card decode shows it should have had three years free map updates which, from what I can see from the current version date, this hasn't been done despite being serviced by MB fleet support services at Milton Keynes in June 2017.
What do you think of my chances?

If your car is more than 3 years old (from date of first registration), then the dealer will not carry-out a free maps update.

This is simply because the MB central computer will no longer generate any free update PIN codes once the 3 first years have lapsed, so the dealer's only option is to pay for the PIN code out of their own pocket, and understandably they will be reluctant to do so.

You may still have a valid claim against the dealer you bought it from, based on consumer protection legislation etc - but it's between you and the dealer.

With regards Mercedes Fleet Services, this means that car was supplied under MB Finance to one of their fleet customers, who evidently did not care too much about the free maps update. But once the vehicle was returned to MB at the end of the lease and then sold to the public via a dealer, you could well argue that the dealer should have provided you with a vehicle that has the maps up-to-date because it was a retail sale (and not finance/B2B).

Said that, I have started to see dealers who now advertise with a disclaimer saying that the car is not guaranteed to have latest maps.... so this seems to be a common issue.

Reactions: BMF
If your car is more than 3 years old (from date of first registration), then the dealer will not carry-out a free maps update.

This is simply because the MB central computer will no longer generate any free update PIN codes once the 3 first years have lapsed, so the dealer's only option is to pay for the PIN code out of their own pocket, and understandably they will be reluctant to do so.

You may still have a valid claim against the dealer you bought it from, based on consumer protection legislation etc - but it's between you and the dealer.

With regards Mercedes Fleet Services, this means that car was supplied under MB Finance to one of their fleet customers, who evidently did not care too much about the free maps update. But once the vehicle was returned to MB at the end of the lease and then sold to the public via a dealer, you could well argue that the dealer should have provided you with a vehicle that has the maps up-to-date because it was a retail sale (and not finance/B2B).

Said that, I have started to see dealers who now advertise with a disclaimer saying that the car is not guaranteed to have latest maps.... so this seems to be a common issue.

I have just had a response from MB Exeter, as you have said, because the car is over 3 years old they won't update for free. here is what they have replied:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your message,

I have spoken to the Service team regarding the SatNav and if there is anything that we are able to do for you.

Unfortunately as the car is over 3 years old the Map updates are now chargeable. The update costs £99 and we would need the car for approx 4-5 hours as the car needs to be plugged into a console in the workshop and downloaded from there.

If they are only going to charge £99 for this service I think I'll book it in and get it done, seems reasonable price to me.

I have just had a response from MB Exeter, as you have said, because the car is over 3 years old they won't update for free. here is what they have replied:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your message,

I have spoken to the Service team regarding the SatNav and if there is anything that we are able to do for you.

Unfortunately as the car is over 3 years old the Map updates are now chargeable. The update costs £99 and we would need the car for approx 4-5 hours as the car needs to be plugged into a console in the workshop and downloaded from there.

If they are only going to charge £99 for this service I think I'll book it in and get it done, seems reasonable price to me.

So good I sent it twice:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Yes that is a very good price indeed.

I am speculating that this is what the PIN is costing them and they are doing this more a service to you rather than as a proper paid job.

it might be £99 for the map...but it is the same again for the PIN code to activate the map and c£20 for MB to hook the car to their trickle charger.

Budget for c£220

I am having similar problems with Mercedes Benz Southwest. I drive a 2016 C250d Prem Plus registered April 30th.

I understand this vehicle is fitted with Comand APS NTG5.5 Can anyone please confirm the latest map version for this. I believe it to be V13.0 2019 released November 2018.

My Comand is at V11.0. MB Southwest declined to update my maps at the 3 year point saying no updates available. Have I lost out.

it might be £99 for the map...but it is the same again for the PIN code to activate the map and c£20 for MB to hook the car to their trickle charger.

Budget for c£220

I did email MB Exeter again to check that £99 was the total cost for this update and the did confirm that was the total cost to me.

I am having similar problems with Mercedes Benz Southwest. I drive a 2016 C250d Prem Plus registered April 30th.

I understand this vehicle is fitted with Comand APS NTG5.5 Can anyone please confirm the latest map version for this. I believe it to be V13.0 2019 released November 2018.

My Comand is at V11.0. MB Southwest declined to update my maps at the 3 year point saying no updates available. Have I lost out.

Hi Stan,
I don't know the answer to your current situation but it may be worth contacting: Catalog and giving them the details of your vehicle and I'm sure they can tell you the latest map date for your car.

Yes that is a very good price indeed.

I am speculating that this is what the PIN is costing them and they are doing this more a service to you rather than as a proper paid job.

I'd like to think so ;)

Hi, MB dealership Bridgend charged me the same £99 for the latest map updates a few weeks ago.
I was quoted £199 by MB Brooklands last year... mine is NTG4.7 BTW.

Possibly the updates for 5*1/5*2 are cheaper?

Today I popped in to MB at Marsh Barton, Exeter and spoke to one of their guys regarding an update for the map software on my COMAND online system. They will collect the car from where the wife works and return it on completion (£30 charge for this), plug the car into their STAR system and upload the relevant map update for a total cost of £120. I think that's pretty reasonable. They will need the car for between 3-4 hours for the update.

Today I popped in to MB at Marsh Barton, Exeter and spoke to one of their guys regarding an update for the map software on my COMAND online system. They will collect the car from where the wife works and return it on completion (£30 charge for this), plug the car into their STAR system and upload the relevant map update for a total cost of £120. I think that's pretty reasonable. They will need the car for between 3-4 hours for the update.
Yes, that's very good. See if they'll throw in a firmware update as well?

I’ll ask but what does a firmware update do specifically?

A firmware update upgrades the software that runs the COMAND unit itself, including the navigation software.

Typically firmware updates introduce new features and/or bug fixes.

MB usually release new firmware updates very frequently when the COMAND unit is new to the market, and then they usually stop releasing further updates after a number of years.

I’ll ask but what does a firmware update do specifically?
As @markjay says, it addresses bugs or glitches in the main, and occasionally introduces new features (more rarely). Whether your COMAND system needs it or not is moot - updates are routinely applied to the car's systems as part of the normal servicing, so you may already have the current firmware running.

A firmware update upgrades the software that runs the COMAND unit itself, including the navigation software.

Typically firmware updates introduce new features and/or bug fixes.

MB usually release new firmware updates very frequently when the COMAND unit is new to the market, and then they usually stop releasing further updates after a number of years.

Thanks markjay, I will certainly ask ;)

As @markjay says, it addresses bugs or glitches in the main, and occasionally introduces new features (more rarely). Whether your COMAND system needs it or not is moot - updates are routinely applied to the car's systems as part of the normal servicing, so you may already have the current firmware running.

Thanks st13phil :cool:

Getting mine updated next Monday and they are going to update firmware at same time should it need it they said, how would I check what version I have anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom