Satnav + windscreen mount = MoT fail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pug, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Pug

Pug Active Member

Car:
    '92 190E 2.0 Manual
    Just a heads up - took my car in for a MoT this morning (wish me luck) and the tester advised me to remove my mount while he tested, as otherwise it's a fail.
    There's a bit of a grey area in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations about obstructing the driver's vision in that
    Interpret this as you will - my cradle was down in the centre of the screen, at the lowest point I could fit it and at 6' 2", it obscures my vision about as much as my tax disc holder does. [​IMG]

That said, take it out for the MoT and refit it afterwards was the advice he gave me. I was glad I'd hung around to finish my smoke after dropping the car off. :rolleyes:

2. Dinnie

Dinnie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

You shouldn't keep the mounting on the screen anyway as it advertises to theives that you have a Sat nav in the car. Even if you do keep it on you when you leave the car, the theives wouldn't know and will take a gamble on smashing your window or breaking the door lock.

3. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    Can't you mount it on your dash?

4. Sp!ke

Sp!ke Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    SL500 & The Fart Car
    My glass mounted phone mount was in place when my car went through its MOT the other day and I had no problems.

The difference I believe is that you have yours mounted in the middle of the windscreen where it can obstruct your view. Mount it on your right (assuming RHD vehicle), at the bottom of the A pillar and it doesnt.

5. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Following cars at night it is quite astonishing where many put satnavs ... mid-way up the screen, right in front of the driver :eek: :confused:

On our Vito windscreen the TomTom is well below the level of the top of the dash, and doesn't obstruct the view at all. On the SL and the Audi (where the driver sits lower in relation to the dash & screen) it would potentially block the view unless mounted to one side.

I agree about leaving the mount permanently on the screen - an invitation to have your window smashed (whether you keep the satnav in the vehicle or not). Hopefully this will change over time - remember when leaving any kind of mobile phone in a car would have the same effect?

6. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Usually not. They require a completely flat & smooth surface for the sucker to work (e.g. glass).

7. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Affix a plastic disc to the dash....garmin offer one for their satnavs --

8. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    How does the disk attach?

9. GrahamC230K

GrahamC230K MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Audi A3 & S4 quattro
    I agree some drivers do postion them in odd places. To an extent I am surprised their is not greater regulation on it. No doubt I imagine their will be. I am sure if plod really wanted to he could apply driving without due care for stupid placement.

My MOT tetser always removes our tomtom mount, I always thought he was checking for chips inthe screen.

10. vijilants

vijilants Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C320CDI Sport W204
  11. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    But on some TomToms the connections for power and external antenna (if you use one) are through the mount.

12. Ade B

Ade B Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
    RHS corner by A pillar is the most sensible place in my view but I have the power cable snaking across the steering column to the cigar lighter which I don't mind as I always put the whole lot away when not in use.

I am amazed at where some of them are positioned but I'm assuming its something to do with the rake of the screen on some cars - esp people carriers..

Ade

13. vijilants

vijilants Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C320CDI Sport W204
    Ah OK...I use a Tomtom v3 and power is via a socket in the bottom and then to the lighter socket.

14. SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
    I personally think the tester is a bit OTT there. I know its the rules, but its obvious that it will go straight back on the car afterwards - you would have thought he would just overlook it. But i guess its his business so doesnt want to take any risks etc.

The garage i last went to gave me advisaries for illegal number plates - i thought it would fail rather than get an advisary.

previous car with exact same plates on passed without any advisaries.

BUT thanks for the heads up - i'll remove it from the screen in wife's picasso before MOT on saturday!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  15. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Glue....:D

16. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Not that easy to do in a way which is secure (not going to soften in hot weather, for example), and doesn't mark the dash.

17. Alfie

Alfie Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    W169 A, W205 C, W451 smart
    Very sadly I came across a car not so long ago where the driver had used a sucker mount for his Tom Tom attached to the screen of his Comand:eek: He now has a rather scratched circular marking on his comand screen.:(

To avoid confusion here he was borrowing the Tom Tom whilst he waited for a navigation DVD to arrive:(

18. popuptoaster

popuptoaster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2000 E55 AMG Estate
    If you remove the mount to deter theives dont forget to clean the sucker mark of the glass, some of em are clever enough to look for circles on the glass.

19. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

I'm amazed where people put these.

At night with the wide screen tom toms in the middle of the dash with the wires hanging down. Not even on night mode so its like having a 60W buld glowing back at you.

I have used Brodit mounts in the past, very handy no holes and should be one for any car.

http://www.mountonus.com/?gclid=CKOay4HRg5cCFQ5cQgodhW0sYQ

Currently with my O2 Orbit phone and Tomtom I use a simple magnetic device that one piece sticks on phone and the other (about the size of a ten pence) sticks anywhere you want on the dash. Works a treat

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/5327.htm

20. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That may be a factor, but it's typically small hatchbacks I see with the satnav right in front of the driver's face!

On the Vito (and indeed the Sharan I had before) it's not possible to reach the satnav when it's on the screen. Which is why I chose one with a Bluetooth remote :)