Satnav + windscreen mount = MoT fail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pug

Car
'92 190E 2.0 Manual
Just a heads up - took my car in for a MoT this morning (wish me luck) and the tester advised me to remove my mount while he tested, as otherwise it's a fail.
There's a bit of a grey area in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations about obstructing the driver's vision in that
30(3) All glass or other transparent material fitted to a motor vehicle shall be maintained in such condition that it does not obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven on a road.
Interpret this as you will - my cradle was down in the centre of the screen, at the lowest point I could fit it and at 6' 2", it obscures my vision about as much as my tax disc holder does.
shrug.gif

That said, take it out for the MoT and refit it afterwards was the advice he gave me. I was glad I'd hung around to finish my smoke after dropping the car off. :rolleyes:

You shouldn't keep the mounting on the screen anyway as it advertises to theives that you have a Sat nav in the car. Even if you do keep it on you when you leave the car, the theives wouldn't know and will take a gamble on smashing your window or breaking the door lock.

My glass mounted phone mount was in place when my car went through its MOT the other day and I had no problems.

The difference I believe is that you have yours mounted in the middle of the windscreen where it can obstruct your view. Mount it on your right (assuming RHD vehicle), at the bottom of the A pillar and it doesnt.

Following cars at night it is quite astonishing where many put satnavs ... mid-way up the screen, right in front of the driver :eek: :confused:

On our Vito windscreen the TomTom is well below the level of the top of the dash, and doesn't obstruct the view at all. On the SL and the Audi (where the driver sits lower in relation to the dash & screen) it would potentially block the view unless mounted to one side.

I agree about leaving the mount permanently on the screen - an invitation to have your window smashed (whether you keep the satnav in the vehicle or not). Hopefully this will change over time - remember when leaving any kind of mobile phone in a car would have the same effect?

Usually not. They require a completely flat & smooth surface for the sucker to work (e.g. glass).

Affix a plastic disc to the dash....garmin offer one for their satnavs --

I agree some drivers do postion them in odd places. To an extent I am surprised their is not greater regulation on it. No doubt I imagine their will be. I am sure if plod really wanted to he could apply driving without due care for stupid placement.

My MOT tetser always removes our tomtom mount, I always thought he was checking for chips inthe screen.

I use one of these air vent mounts. They are universal and you can put your phone or satnav into them as the soft jaws grip the unit.

The only problem is removing the mount itself from the airvent. Because it hooks around the slats in the airvent, removing the mount is seriously fiddly and involves poking around with a small screwdriver.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150309996773

I use one of these air vent mounts. They are universal

But on some TomToms the connections for power and external antenna (if you use one) are through the mount.

RHS corner by A pillar is the most sensible place in my view but I have the power cable snaking across the steering column to the cigar lighter which I don't mind as I always put the whole lot away when not in use.

I am amazed at where some of them are positioned but I'm assuming its something to do with the rake of the screen on some cars - esp people carriers..

Ade

But on some TomToms the connections for power and external antenna (if you use one) are through the mount.

Ah OK...I use a Tomtom v3 and power is via a socket in the bottom and then to the lighter socket.

I personally think the tester is a bit OTT there. I know its the rules, but its obvious that it will go straight back on the car afterwards - you would have thought he would just overlook it. But i guess its his business so doesnt want to take any risks etc.

The garage i last went to gave me advisaries for illegal number plates - i thought it would fail rather than get an advisary.

previous car with exact same plates on passed without any advisaries.

BUT thanks for the heads up - i'll remove it from the screen in wife's picasso before MOT on saturday!

Last edited:
Very sadly I came across a car not so long ago where the driver had used a sucker mount for his Tom Tom attached to the screen of his Comand:eek: He now has a rather scratched circular marking on his comand screen.:(

To avoid confusion here he was borrowing the Tom Tom whilst he waited for a navigation DVD to arrive:(

If you remove the mount to deter theives dont forget to clean the sucker mark of the glass, some of em are clever enough to look for circles on the glass.

I'm amazed where people put these.

At night with the wide screen tom toms in the middle of the dash with the wires hanging down. Not even on night mode so its like having a 60W buld glowing back at you.

I have used Brodit mounts in the past, very handy no holes and should be one for any car.

http://www.mountonus.com/?gclid=CKOay4HRg5cCFQ5cQgodhW0sYQ

Currently with my O2 Orbit phone and Tomtom I use a simple magnetic device that one piece sticks on phone and the other (about the size of a ten pence) sticks anywhere you want on the dash. Works a treat

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/5327.htm

I am amazed at where some of them are positioned but I'm assuming its something to do with the rake of the screen on some cars - esp people carriers.

That may be a factor, but it's typically small hatchbacks I see with the satnav right in front of the driver's face!

On the Vito (and indeed the Sharan I had before) it's not possible to reach the satnav when it's on the screen. Which is why I chose one with a Bluetooth remote :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom