Save on your band G car tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
No doubt some folks will have thought of this already but if not this was posted on a subaru site recently:-
I'm sure those of you unlucky enough to own Band G cars are already quite p1ssed off at the latest plans to rob your money come March 2009

What's been less publicised is that in January 2009 they will be making it a lot harder to cash in your tax disc and then buy a new one, this is to stop everyone doing that at the same time next year.

However it's still possible to cash in your tax disc at the end of this month, and then buy six months worth on the 1st Sept. If you do that this month your tax renewal in 2009 will end up just before the increased rates come in and you're likely to save £150-£200 per car.

How can they make it harder to cash in your current disk.? I doubt they can stop you.

How can they make it harder to cash in your current disk.? I doubt they can stop you.

I don't know :confused: I was merely quoting what the subaru guy wrote. However how about------------:devil:
"Due to unprecedented demand the DVLA are unable to process requests for refunds of vehicle road fund licences for the next 4 months. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes. Normal vehicle re-licencing or SORN remains unaffected." Add a few placatory sentences about contacting DVLA customer services the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO).and your constituency member of parliament blah blah blah etc etc etc -----------SORTED! :rolleyes:

Are you saying they will not refund my road tax if I declare SORN for my slk at the end of next month and tax my c-class. Then declare sorn for my c-class at the end of Jan 09 and tax my slk. :D

What rule is that, is it listed anywhere at their website?

If that is the case then I do it at the end of this month. :p

If the new band comes in from 1st March 2009 and you buy 6 months tax starting from September, this means the disc will expire at the end of February 2009.
This being the case....your New tax disc will start on 1st March 2009. This would surely be at the new rate, so I cannot see how buying 6 months now will save you anything.......unless it is from the date that you BUY the new disc i.e. late February 2009. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Just realise that the new rate starts from april 2009 so alls clear now

Last edited:
If the new band comes in from 1st March 2009 and you buy 6 months tax starting from September, this means the disc will expire at the end of February 2009.
This being the case....your New tax disc will start on 1st March 2009. This would surely be at the new rate, so I cannot see how buying 6 months now will save you anything.......unless it is from the date that you BUY the new disc i.e. late February 2009. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Just realise that the new rate starts from april 2009 so alls clear now

I've just done this - mine runs out end of Aug and was £210 for the year, £260 from next April.

So I renewed for 6mths at £115. Not a big saving, but better that I have the money than them!

I've just done this - mine runs out end of Aug and was £210 for the year, £260 from next April.

So I renewed for 6mths at £115. Not a big saving, but better that I have the money than them!

But you've just paid £20 extra for the privelige. Is it worth it to save £30.

True there is an extra cost involved :( but if you have to renew the licence anyway? Large petrol engined cars will show a greater saving than diesels of course.;)
here's an example

Last edited:

I've paid £10 extra, 'cos it's only for 6mths.

Is it worth it? Well, it's a minute's work to order a tax disk online, so why not?

It worths it for though whose VED jumps from £210 to £340 a year that a saving of £130. :D

But then did I hear they may scrap this plan and use the pay as you drive. :eek:

It's the principal of the matter. You save £10. It's not a large sum.

On the bright side, that's £10 less for Gordon Brown - bless him!

By the way, if I do this on my ML 350, I save £316 over 2 years compared to buying in April.

And I'm going to start SORN - ing my SLK through the winter.....

:devil:

Last edited:
My road tax doesn't expire until May 2009...is it worth me swapping discs?

Mine finished next month, should I buy 6 months or 12?

I've no idea what it will be next time? £400 ??

ML350 V6 Auto, mmmmmm very green....well silver

ML350 V6 Auto, mmmmmm very green....

Since you and I use the MLs as playthings, then greener than those in their saintly hatchbacks driving DAILY :mad:

Mercedes-Benz M-Class (98-05)
ML350 Inspiration 5d Tip Auto

Rates effective from 13 March 2008​
Date of Registration6 Months12 MonthsBandCO2 (g/km)1 Sep 2002 – 29 Feb 2004£115.50£210.00F305
Rates effective from April 2009​
Date of Registration6 Months12 MonthsBandCO2 (g/km)1 Sep 2002 – 29 Feb 2004£165.00£300.00K305
Rates effective from April 2010​
Date of Registration6 Months12 MonthsBandCO2 (g/km)1 Sep 2002 – 29 Feb 2004£250.25£455.00M305

ftmaxversion = 13ftminversion = 6DoOn Error Resume Nextplugin = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & ftmaxversion & "")))If plugin = true Then Exit Doftmaxversion = ftmaxversion - 1Loop While ftmaxversion >= ftminversion

Last edited:
Are the new rates for tax discs still coming in on 1st March or has the credit crunch put this on hold?

If the new rates are coming in, is it possible to cash in a tax disc on 28th Jan with say 8 months to reclaim and then buy a new disc on 1st Feb for 12 months on the old rates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom